MY Wal-Mart Experience Today.

by Yerusalyim 13 Replies latest social humour

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Well, there I was out in front of Wal-Mart today. I'm wearing my yellow Smock that says "Helping the Mentally Disabled" and "Knights of Columbus" Yep, it's the beginning of that time of year...the time when we pass out tootsie rolls and accept donations giving the money to the mentally hanidcapped.

Anyhow, the way our group does it...we offer the tootsie roll to anyone that wants one...even if they don't choose to make a donation...

You wouldn't believe how many people just could not believe that we would actually just give them a tootsie roll without them giving us a donation...one guy just walked away and says "There's gotta be a catch" It took me three minutes to explain to this one woman that regardless of whether or not she gave a donation I would still give her a tootsie roll, even if she told me in advance that she wasn't going to give me a donation. I guess people really aren't used to getting something for nothing.

Sure, it's my hope that after giving them a tootsie roll they'll give a donation...but the other motive is just to get them the tootsie roll that also has the "Knights of Columbus" name on the wrapper (specially printed for the Knights). It gets us publicity.

Anyhow...to give a JW connection to this thread...about noon today some JW's came to WalMart, him in his suit, mom and daughter in their dresses, fresh from Field Service...I made a point to offer the candy when they came in and walked out...but they'd have nothing to do with me.

Anyhow...after three days we expect to have about $3000 or so. After paying for the Tootsie Rolls...about $345 80% Goes to a Center for the Handicapped here in Columbia, and 20% goes to our State Organization to fund state wide programs.

In November we do this again...except now there is no overhead because we've already paid for our 20 Cases of Tootsie Rolls...this time 80% goes to the Local Special Olympics and 20% to the State Special Olympics.

Why are people so leery when it comes to free stuff?

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Works for the JW's doesn't it? The one gentlemen answered your question - there's always a catch.

BTW - can I just take this opportunity to thank you for being a part of the Knights of Columbus and for all the wonderful things that organizations does!!! (and for changing the sign on their smocks too btw ). They are a wonderful organization, and my respect & admiration for you has gone up 150% for doing such wonderful volunteer work.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

*stamps foot*

I want a tootsie roll too

• Aztec
    Aztec

Yeru, good for you! I respect those who spend their time trying to help out others. Why do people fear free things? Who knows? I sure don't! Thank you for doing what you are doing!

~Aztec

• Panda
    Panda

Yeru, Good for you . My Girl Scouts will be collecting for Project Undercover. Also in front of WalMart. We collect underwear, diapers, socks etc for kids in foster care in our county. There is absolutely nothing in the world like really helping people with daily needs. Keep up the good work. Panda

• shamus
    shamus

Yeru,

Thank you for doing this service! You never cease to amaze me! This really shows how community minded you are, and what kind ofperson you are!

I work with developmentally challenged individuals (the latest saying, so to speak) and find the work very rewarding. Where does the money go exacly, just out of curiosity? Day programs? Research?

The dubs don't suprise me one bit. Remember, Yeru, they feel like they are above all people and they have all the answers. Too bad for anyone who does not believe what they believe.... self-rightcheous weiners!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Petty,

Smooches darlin!

Yeppers, those smocks got kinda controversial. We were supposed to have a banner set up too...when we opened it, the banner, made by one of our state officers said "Helping the Retarded" It went back into the box...Holy Cow...people haven't use that word in years.

• zion sleeping
    zion sleeping

HAVE YOU EVER ACCEPTED A FREE COPY OF THE W.T. MAG NOW YOU SEE!

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

*stamps foot*

I want a tootsie roll too

(In my normal NY accent voice). Hey Stacy, I got a tootsie roll for ya right here!!!

Yeru. I give ya a lot of credit for being out there collecting for the Knights. I can't belive that some people would just take a tootsie roll without giving at least a quarter. Some people. Sheesh!!

• gumby
    gumby
    HAVE YOU EVER ACCEPTED A FREE COPY OF THE W.T. MAG NOW YOU SEE!

Zion, The difference is, the magazines go in the trash, and the tootsie roll doesn't. Nice work Yeru! Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit