Would you have married your spouse if you weren't both JWs?

by 3rdgen 55 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    I would have married my wife regardless, assuming we would have crossed paths, which we wouldn't have. Just celebrated 16 years a week and a half ago. We had some really rough times, but honestly most of that was just getting married before we were whole people ourselves. I was 22 and on my own, she was 19 and had lived a very sheltered life. There were some days where we thought it wouldn't work out for sure, but we have learned and grown up tremendously together. I like that we have that history, as the tough times dish out the best lessons. Today our relationship is truly great. Oh, and did I mention that we work together every day and have pretty much since we got married. We clean together daily, though there was a period in our business where we went separate ways for maybe 6 months while regrouping after a bad business deal. Working together made us have to confront every little issue and caused a lot of drama because we could never get away from the other one if they were having a bad day, but we made it through and we can handle the worst day now with grace.
  • life is to short
    life is to short

I married my husband because I totally loved him but I wish that there had been per martial counseling, because I would not have went through with it. Love is not enough when it comes to this cult.

So much of the time I truly wonder if he loves me as the religion always came first in our marriage even in the most stupidest ways. If I did not feel well I still had to go to the meetings, I cannot even begin to count how many hours I spent sitting in the car waiting for him in elders meetings. God forbid that he take me home and of course no one in the hall would give me a ride home, even ones who lived close to us and since it was a county hall I just could not walk home as we lived 15 miles from the hall.

Not to mention money and work, he felt that Jehovah would give us what we needed and it might be just a slice of bread a day.

I look back on my life and think what a waste. I had not a clue what I was getting into.

LITS

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was going with my girlfriend for about a year when I was contacted with the "truth" and convinced her it was the "truth" a year later we were married in a K.H.

33 years later we both left the religion .

And just recently we celebrated our 55th wedding anniversary .

smiddy

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    Nah
  • sherrie11
    sherrie11

3rdgen I was a single mother totally immersed in the cult,believed in all the true Christian family crap and in my heart I wanted a family life for my daughter that would be beneficial for our worship of god. It also involved the fact that I had sexual experience and that that these needs could be fulfilled by marriage. How deluded I was he the spiritual brother who was really emotionally immature.

In hindsight I probabley expected to much to much from him.

Its a cult!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

If I'd met my wife independently of the Org, I'd have definately asked her out at the very least, but the odds of meeting her would have been pretty low.

x

I dated and married her because I was attracted to her first and foremost.

The fact that she was a baptized JW just made it easier (as it happens, she was inactive at the time, but no one seemed to care).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit