Would you have married your spouse if you weren't both JWs?

by 3rdgen 55 Replies latest jw friends

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Ok, I've had some wine, but I'm curious. Objectively speaking, but for the religion, did you have enough in common with your spouse to have met and married as non believers?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

No not really, the pressuring element of sex had been an instigating factor.

Unfortunately ended in divorce a few years later on due to incompatibility.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Thanks Fink. I'm reflecting at the moment. It's all hypothetical because My parents would NEVER have met nor married if it weren't for the cult so I wouldn't exist. However, I would never have met nor married either of my husbands had we met in a "worldly" setting. So here I am.
  • Cangie
    Cangie
    NOOOOOOOO...nonononononononono...no! I actually considered breaking it off with him but an article in the Watchtower had just been printed that said the one who ended an engagement would be df'd for "breaking a covenant with Jehoover." My mother and his were friends and thought we were "evenly yoked"---UGH. It was damned near an arranged marriage. I pulled the "yoke" off about 25 years ago and got a divorce from him since he was an elder (still is) with a nasty temper who was abusive.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

I ask myself that very question often.

Our still-in family and friends are all victims.

Only Watch Tower teaches to hate the victim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cADynm-yhMs

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

We became JW's to save our marriage, what a mistake.There needs to be a law,

30 years of age before you can wed.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Cangie, wow the same thing happened to me in 1969. I was only 17 and wanted to end my engagement with my first husband BUT the Watchtower article had just come out about breaking an engagement without fraud involved would be grounds for disfellowshipping. I literally had NO friends or family who weren't JW's and (to top it off) my fiance's father was the congregation servant! I was backed into a corner I didn't know how to escape.
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Berrygerry and James, Jws SAVING a marriage??? Hahaha
  • prologos
    prologos
    I would have married her, but would she have married me? ???
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen

BTW, I'm not asking if you love/loved your spouse. I'm asking first: would you have even met?

and if you did would there have been an attraction?

Would you have considered yourself compatible?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit