Why do they bury people that commit suicide?

by Blue 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Blue
    Blue

If they think suicide is so wrong and then drive people to it by disfellowshipping them or threatening them with disfellowshipping why does the Watchtower have funerals for them as Jehovah Witnesses. Does anyone know? I remember years ago they were completely against cremation. Does anyone know if they changed their stupid rules again??

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

against cremation -- where did you get that from -- is that here in the USA -- in Great Britain , the vast majority of witnesses are cremated -- and talks are given by elders and even COs -- so the society are not against cremation.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, if they didn't bury them, the whole place would start to smell.

SS

• Blue
    Blue

Years ago when I was a Jehovah they didn't allow cremation in the United States. Sometimes they kept it secret that the suicidal person was a Jehovah. They use funerals to try to lure people into the religion. It is common knowledge that the Witnesses just put their loved ones ashes in the cemetary to avoid paying for a stone. I have been told of this by others.

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

Blue,

I have to totally disagree with you here. Maybe some incredibly heartless, thick, cretinous morons choose cremation to avoid paying for a stone, but this is certainly not a general trait of JW's, but then according to you they are all personally God anyway. Does an ex-jw really refer to them as a jehovah? I have heard some moving funeral service that were definately not designed to bring people into the religion. But even if that motivation is there a little and the deceased on was an active dub, surely their own wishes woud be in that regard' if they've spent their life trying to recruit people, why not their death? And don't all denominations do this to a degree anyway. Just by reffering to a faith in public could be thought of as advertising!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    when I was a Jehovah

When were you "a Jehovah"? I've never heard any brother or sister refer to themselves in that way. I've heard lots of non-Jehovah's Witnesses use that term (or derivatives), but not a Witness.

I've never heard anything from the Society prohibiting cremation. My mother was cremated as was my father in law.

Finally, Bill, my father in law, did commit suicide only about 7 months ago. An elder offered to give his memorial talk, but we declined in favor of something more personal. He was aware of the circumstances surrounding Bill's death, and his desire to be cremated and yet had no problem other than personal empathy for my wife.

I don't understand where you are coming from with this thread. It is lacking in sensitivity and knowledge of the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses. I am not a Witness and I do not want any part of that craziness. However, I think it is only fair that if you have a criticism then it needs to be a valid one, or one that is at least accurate.

What is the point you are trying to make?

• Blue
    Blue

I am sorry for the loss of your father-in-law. In the Eastern part of the U.S.A. it is commonly called when a person is a Jehovah Witness "a Jehovah" I heard the "grave digger" say that they leave their people in the cemetary without a stone. The grave digger thought it was because the Witnesses don't believe people have a soul. I am sorry and meant to offend no one. I mean the ashes of the person after they are cremated are left in the cemetary. This I am told is a fact. I hope and pray it isn't so.....

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

In the eastern part of the US we did not refer to ourselves as a jehovah. Never did i hear that anywhere and i am on the east coast of the United States.

• breeze
    breeze

Blue

Admit it you were never a witness......

I have never heard of a witness refering to another brother as a j\Jehovah....

• Prisca
    Prisca

Maybe the JWs decided to have a cremation rather than have a proper coffin, burial plot and stone simply because they couldn't afford it. JWs are not the richest people on earth, and funerals are very expensive, so cremations are the cheapest option.

BTW, why are you taking what the grave digger is saying as gospel? Did he have a direct conversation with the JWs? Or did he get the info 3rd hand?

Also, if you were once a JW, wouldn't you know what the JW stance is?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit