Forgiveness Yesterday, Today and Forever

by Cold Steel 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I was just watching the JW Broadcasting Network and the topic being discussed was forgiveness.

The fellow presenting the topic was talking a brother who had sinned many years ago. He finally came clean with the local elders, accepted his discipline and got on with his life. I was curious as to what sort of discipline he might be talking about. He said it had been many years ago and I wondered why the Society would take any action against someone years after an offense?

Are we talking Murder? Adultery? Fornication? How would the Society handle someone who confessed to a murder? Doesn't it have to report it according to the law? And how would they discipline someone after years?

But those are only peripheral questions. My real question is this: What if someone simply comes back to the Society, goes back to the Kingdom Hall, becomes active again all without confessing his our her previous transgressions? Would "Jehovah" really condemn that person?

And speaking of murder, does the Society baptize murderers?

• millie210
    millie210

Its hard to take their judicial system seriously because the variables are endless and inconsistent.

For example, in their own manual, they state that if an elder is guilty of a sin which is judicial and it is not known for years AND the congregation still views him as an "older man" that there is no need to remove him because of an "old" sin.

So if the leadership can - why not the members?

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

So basically a person should keep his or her mouth shut if he or she sins? Is there any sort of a statute of limitations on sins? And how does one know when one needs to see the elders or just to repent? I'm not aware of any New Testament scriptures that codify what needs to be reported to the elders and what doesn't. There are some really serious sins out there -- things like dating sheep, attending other church services, murder, reading materials critical of the Society, rape, questioning the Governing Body, human sacrifice, receiving blood transfusions -- those types of horrible things.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''So basically a person should keep his or her mouth shut if he or she sins? Is there any sort of a statute of limitations on sins? And how does one know when one needs to see the elders or just to repent?''

Elders like to have their control and power. Fear inspiring.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

This "statute of limitation" is only for elders who managed to keep their sin secret for a few years while they continued to be "blessed" with special privileges as evidence of God's blessing despite his mistake. What a load of bull crap

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Such untold hypocrisy.
  • millie210
    millie210

The elders manual gives the idea that the magic number is 3 years. Anything over 3 years old and an elder does not "necessarily' have to be removed from serving.

But that is only for fornicatin elders!

Publishers have no statue of limitations on their wrongdoing.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''The elders manual gives the idea that the magic number is 3 years. Anything over 3 years old and an elder does not "necessarily' have to be removed from serving.

But that is only for fornicatin elders!

Publishers have no statue of limitations on their wrongdoing.''

Sometimes I wonder.

Sure makes you wonder, doesn't it???

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And of course, "proof" of still having divine blessing is if one continues to turn in field service reports and answers at least twice per meeting!

Makes one wonder how many "try-hards" in the congs are really just making up for sins committed!?

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

There are people who need to unload their conscience and there are others who do not have this need. The watchtower likes to misuse this need to establish their power. Honestly, if you have something on your chest, it is way better to confide in a trustworthy friend than onto elders who are instructed to retaliate if you do not behave like a sheep.

And yes, the witnesses baptize convicted and suspected murderers. They have special assigned brothers who study with prisoners.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit