INTERNET SECURITY

by Amazing 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Hackers of the general nusiance variety will also send out Viruses and Trojans much the same as a vandal will sets fires or spray paint buildings.

Seeker is right. I have a modern 800 page book called "Maximum Security, a Hacker's Guide to Protecting Your Internet Site and Network." It was written by an expert who used to be a cracker and got caught.

According to this book, a hacker is someone who merely gets into systems for the sheer challenge of it, but does no damage. A "cracker" on the other hand, gets into systems for the sole purpose of causing mischief or conducting criminal activity.

The more hackers, the merrier, I say. As long as they continue to do their jobs, I.S. people will learn of their systems vulnerabilities and how to correct them.

Farkel

• Amazing
    Amazing

Thanks Suzi: Yes, I watch the cookies, etc. The version of Norton I use now is updated live as I am on the Net. So as soon as new virus definitions are made, my system is updated. The only weak spot is the lag between when some criminal invents a virus and the time it takes Norton and others to develop the 'cure.'

Also, I have a high security settings, and wash out cookies every session. I block most email and ads. And everytime I get a new unasked for email, I block the sender. I never get into live chats, and most importantly, I never give out my email address except to a few trusted sources. For the email I might get from forums like this one, I use hotmail with all the right wrap-arounds for shielding.

I do have a busines email, but that is only used in certain aspects and on another account. So, I feel fairly good about it all. Finally, I developed some of my own private software to deal with this issue.

As for the inaccurate IP address I pasted in my last post above, this was the result of starting to paste several addresses, and then I decided to just do one. I must have bounced two IPs numbers together or something, because the number shown is not what I meant to paste.

Thanks - Amazing

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Also, I have a high security settings, and wash out cookies every session.

Cookies are TEXT files! They are totally benign. I know how to write them, and I know how to read them. I wouldn't worry about cookies if I were you, Amazing!

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit