INTERNET SECURITY

by Amazing 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

FYI, just because the mass media is clueless, it doesn't mean we have to repeat their incorrect stereotypes about hackers. Those who break into other people's systems are not hackers, no matter how many times the networks get it wrong. They are criminals, or crackers, or thieves, or what have you. Hackers are not criminals, and do no engage in the behavior this thread is talking about.

• mommy
    mommy

All right You have put the fear of HACKERS in me

How do get a firewall? How do I know if they are hacking? I have Norton antivirus, but that is only good for email right? Ohhhh I HATE being computer illiterate. Is there a place on the net I can find out about getting a firewall? Or can this only be purchased in a store?

Please help
    wendy

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Amazing

Thanks for the info. I must need one of those firewall thingymejigs!!

Free

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

So if I have a router, I don't need a firewall program? Hope so, cause then I can get rid of Zone Alarm (Zone Alarm is a free firewall program that can be downloaded at www.zonealarm.com, mommy )
    Let me know! Thanks

BW

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Between: I would still get Norton Internet Security 2001, Version 3.0, if I were you. I would not use any downloaded version, but buy it as a CD. Norton allows one year of free downloads for new virus definitions and anti-virus and anti-trojan repairs. It is estimated that at least 50 new viruses and Trojans are produced each week.

I would do this in addition to the router firewll, because viruses can sometimes be passed on in other innocent ways. Sometimes, when accessing certain web sites and data bases, I have to lower my Security, and the anti-virus is there in case something passed through. - Amazing

• Amazing
    Amazing

Here is just one among many notifications I received today, and some as recently as in the last 10 minutes:

5/25/01 16:53:09 Filter Rule "Default Block Backdoor/SubSeven Trojan" blocked Inbound TCP connection: Remote address service is (23.7.291.313,4325)

As I noted in my previous post, I get 15 to 20 of these kinds of things everyday, some are identified as Hack attempts, and others are viruses, etc. What many people do not relize is that the address service is traceable. - Amazing

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

Amazing
    the info is truly amazing
    thanks !!!!
    yeah its fun watching the attempts made while online
    its like watching meteor showers
    sometimes they come all at once and sometimes they come in intervals
    there is no such thing as too much security. . . .

as well as i understand hacking IS a criminal offense,
    i dont think it varies as much as it may have in the past

do you suspect them to be coming out of this board???
    you mentioned you would be posting there names. . .
    at another thread we were having the discussion of moles it would be interesting if indeed moles were hacking into systems??

on a lighter note the term hacker comes from the 70's when the parts needed to be soldered to the circuit boards, thus hacking together a computer bits and pieces at a time, though now its a different meaning all together as you mentioned

thanks for the info and keep us posted
    chuck

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Chuck: Good points. You asked, "do you suspect them to be coming out of this board??? you mentioned you would be posting there names . . . at another thread we were having the discussion of moles it would be interesting if indeed moles were hacking into systems??"

I was getting Spammed from this board. It was so bad that I had to shut down my original screen name that I registered with. What seem to happen was that someone got into JWD forum and piggy-backed about 1,000 messages to me - all identical messages. This happened about 5 or 6 times before I had to shur it down.

As for Moles, I have no doubt that they are around. On H20 we called them Watch Tower Trolls, and it became evident who some of them were. But, I am not certain that any Society 'Moles or Trolls' are seriously trying to Hack any of us, but I would not put it past them.

On H20 there were some who 'openly' threatened to shut the system down via their hacking capability. They were not taken too seriuously, but then somehow, shortly after a couple of threats, H20 did experience serious board complications that took them off-line for a few days. It could have been a hacker, or just coincidence. You can never really know for sure unless your system tracks this stuff.

H20 was a shell account on some site, and they may not have had the same level of control and monitoring that private PC owners have. I don't know for sure what kind of set-up they had. Also, a British ex-JW site was shut down for unknown reasons until the site owner was able to prove that his ISP was influenced by WTS people there. When H20 first went down just as the pedophile issue heated up, I speculated strongly that it was the WTS, but, I was in error.

The greater concern I have with Trolls and Moles is not so much whether they can or will hack a system or forum like this one, but that any who may be involved in any activity that concerns the WTS might slip and say things they should not. For example, an active Elder who disagrees with the Society might accidently say something that tips them off as to who he is, and then remove him as an Elder. But, even that is not too likely.

Conversely, the WTS needs to be far more concerns with the fact that so many active Elders and others are in total disagreement with their religion and are active on-line. - Amazing

• cynicus
    cynicus
    5/25/01 16:53:09 Filter Rule "Default Block Backdoor/SubSeven Trojan" blocked Inbound TCP connection: Remote address service is (23.7.291.313,4325)

Could there be something wrong with your detection software? 23.7.291.313 is not a valid IP address where each number separated by dots should be in the range 0..255.

• suzi mayhem
    suzi mayhem

Amazing,

Be careful that one of the viruses didn't attack your Anti-virus software. DC and I (OK, jig's up, we live together, for those who didn't already figure THAT one out, and yeah, we're going out)
    had some issues on my computer within the past couple weeks where Norton started to put up a block on startup. Me being the patient person that I am scanned the drives with said Norton, and it said it was clean. I then tried Disk Doctor, same results, but the silly thing kept jumping in on startup. Soooo...
    Again being the patient person that I am, I scanned the file codes that I needed, made sure there was nothing untoward in them, then saved em on backup as much as I could save. Then I trashed the hard drive. :) Wiped it clean, updated the OS, and rescanned everything via hotmail attachment (that's how I saved what I needed, btw).
    Haven't had too many problems until we came back to this board... people will remain nameless as far as MY suspicions, but it's kinda coincidental how this all started right around the time that Chuck found this place...
    Things that make you go..... HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm...

Internet Security is such a pain. For those folks who are po' like me, use a hotmail account and you get free updated virus scans on every attachment. Kinda nice.
    Also, as a word of caution, I wouldn't set up a shared folder or Direct IM connection on your PC without knowing the people first. There's waaay too many backdoors to these things, and once you have the connection established, you pretty much have to shut the silly thing down to break it, and by then they could have pushed anything through.
    Another precaution is to set your cookies for permissions. I know it sounds silly, but in your internet preferences you can set your Browser up to ask you before it accepts cookies-- bits of a program that support a bigger aspect of a site.

I think that about covers things.
    I remember back in the day when this internet thing was just starting up.. It was pretty cool.
    Now it's like wearing a chum belt in a shark pool at feeding time.
    Ciao all. Til I get the new job I and get relocated after the first, I prolly won't be on much to be my usual charming self.. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit