INTERNET SECURITY

by Amazing 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hey All: This is short and good I recently had a total crash on my PC. I built the thing myself, and it used to run like a race horse. But, unknown to me, my old anti-virus program was not updated due to my subscription running out, and my getting lazy about staying watchful.

So, I installed a new Security program. And WOW ... 71 viruses appeared. My new program tried to quaranteen one Virus, but it was a Trojan, and the quaranteen triggered some kind of weird sub-routine and the Trojan ate my Windows. I could not even install Windows again from CD.

So, I used my Anti-FUBAR disk that I developed, and forced it into DOS mode where I could get Windows back up. Then it took 2 days to clean out all the viruses. Also, Defraging was a chore and my system looked like a war zone. One Trojan caused self-duplication in my ISP system and used up about 300 MB before I was able to clean it out.

When I was done, my new Security program notified me that several Hackers were attempting to break into my system, and infect me with Trojans, etc. Just today, nearly 20 attempts have been made by potential Hackers. My new program works very well, BECAUSE ...

It Identifies who the Hackers are!!!!! Coooooool! I was surprised at this fascinating feature. So, from here on out, I will be posting the screen names of the hackers and then also writing to the ISPs ... but, in some states, it is illegal to Hack ... so, as soon as I get the scoop from my state of residence, then I will start some complaint activity through the authorities ... now, wouldn't it be funny if one of the Hackers is located in Wakill, NY? Well, wouldn't you know that this stupid dumb ass Hacker has a profile that I was able to obtain. It is, as always, just Simply Amazing

• Jang
    Jang

Amazing - what is the programme you were using?

I tried a firewall etc and it made it almost impossible to use my system while online?????

Would love a little guidance on this one .....

Can you write me on it?

Thanks heaps

JanG

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi JanG: I will email you tomorow with some guidance. I am on another PC that has low RAM (only 32MB) and low speed (166MHz). My PC at the office is 128MB RAM and 500MHz. So this thing is slow and freezes easily. If I write more than a sentance or two it is gone, and I have to reboot. - Amazing

• zev
    zev

i use zone alarm. i run no servers, and have mine locked down very tight. i am on a broadband connection with a perm ip. but i have had no problems with it as of yet. and i'm hacked constantly, or rather attempted.

__
    zev
    Now feeling the pain of sitting on the pickets class.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Does anyone know if McAfee is an adequate program for antivirus, trojans, etc?

Thanks!

• Jang
    Jang

Zev, I tried Zone alarm and it was a pain in the butt!

I am on cable, so I have to have something, but so far, all I have acheived is interference with my connections and the puter slows down to a XT .... well it feels like it <G>

JanG

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Hi All
    Sorry to show my ignorance but how can you tell if you have been hacked or an attempt has been made?

Free

• Simon
    Simon

A decent firewall will tell you if people are scanning your system or trying to access ports on it

• AlanF
    AlanF

We're on cable modem too, and through a dumb error got hacked a few months ago. We have several computers at home, so we bought a router, which not only acts as a truly impenetrable firewall, but gives all of our computers Net access through one IP address. A router isn't cheap, but it's transparent and a lot less resource-intensive for your computer.

AlanF

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Free2bme:

If you have no Internet Security, about the only way you would know is if you picked up a Virus or Trojan from the Internet (this is providing that you never use a Floppy in your 'A' Drive from another person. Getting a Virus or Trojan of itself does not mean that you have been 'Hacked], but does indicate your vulnerability. Hackers can enter through 'back-door' unused ports.

Who are the Hackers?:Typically, Hackers come in five basic flavors, those who are just nosey and sporting around, and those who are criminal and are looking for credit card and other personal information, the Government when it feels the need to spy on someone, or on a more rare ocassion, a person working for an institution of some sort (e.g. religious cult, who is trying to determine some information on those they call enemies), and private investigators hired to get information on another person or organization (e.g. a married person spying on their spouse).

Definitions:

1. A Hacker is someone who can get access to your PC via remote operation, such as through the Internet or even a secured network line, and can read your hard-drive data, etc. This has even happened to the Government, notability the Department of Defense, where spys have gotten into military stuff and wreaked havoc. Hackers of the general nusiance variety will also send out Viruses and Trojans much the same as a vandal will sets fires or spray paint buildings.

2. A Virus is a code sequence or routine, often an Executable file, that mimicks common files, but contains anything from a harmless nusiance, such as forcing your cursor arrow to run all over the screen on its own, or swear words appearing on the screen from nowhere, to serious viruses that disrupt your primary operating system, destroys files and data, and can shut your system down.

3. A Trojan is what the name implies. The Greeks fooled their enemy one time by sending what is called the Trojan Horse. The enemy received it as a gift and it looked real cool. Then at night, when no one was on watch, soldiers insided the giant horse climbed out and destoryed the city. In a similar fashion, a Trojan Virus will be accepted as acceptable by your PC, and then at some predetermined time or during some operation, it will trigger a sub-routine that will cause trouble. It was a Trojan that activated when my Anti-Virus tried to quaranteen it. And it shut down my operating system.

If you have Internet Security of some sort, then you can erect Firewalls, stop Hackers, shield away Viruses and Trojans. In just one typical day, I get at least 2 Security Alerts resulting from an average of 3 Hacking attempts and about 15 to 20 attempot to deliver Trojans. All of it happens while I am on the Internet.

My system is able to trace the unique Internet transmission code and at times identify the ISP / Email address of the Hacker. Most good Hackers use various anonymizers to shield their identity. But some are stupid.

If push comes to shove, the transmission code can be traced to the ISP that provides the Anonymizer service, and with a Court Warrant, they can be forced to reveal the identity of the Hacker. But this can only be done if a crime has been committed. Attempted hacking on private citizens is usually not a crime. A successful Hack is a crime if the Hacker gets information such as credit cards or causes a system to shut down.

Some have asked me what I use to protect my system. It is a combination of a common software sold in retail outlets, and some of my own proprietary development for my own personal use. I won't share it or sell it. One the routines are out there, then Hackers can devise ways to get around it by studying the program. But, if no one has the program, then Hackers are hard pressed to get into my system.

Recommendation:For the best protection and functionality, I recommend Norton Internet Security 2001, Version 3.0. I paid $50.00 + tax for mine.

I do not use the Utility because I don't need it. Most Windows Systems have an adequate utility built in to the operating system. I no longer use McAfee. They have a good system, but in my opinion their "Nuts & Bolts Utility sucks and it uses too much RAM and slows my system way down. Norton on the other hand stays out of the way.

By the Way Just as I have been typing this I have another Security Alert. It is someone trying to Hack me with a Trojan. Cool!

Amazing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit