America, damned if we do, damned if we don't

by Adam 58 Replies latest social current

• Perry
    Perry
    people should just go fishing and be happy. =)

And I think that will conclude tonights' meeting. So, let's all stand and sing song number 1, " God Bless America"

Seriously, let's see.

America (oooops that isn't PC) I mean the USA:

defeated totaltarianism in WW1

defeated fascism in WW2

defeated Communism in Europe

defeated Communism in Asia ( mostly. N. Korea is about the only one left from the old school)

Overturned communist regimes in S. America

Denounced and helped end apartheid in S.Africa

Lends billions of dollars to developing countries.

Is currently leading a coalition of dozens of countries in a global war on terrorism

America helped pioneer the idea of freedom in the world and is still doing it

We have one of the most incredibly beautiful countries in the world and some people are jealous of it.... plain and simple.

When I look at the above list I think America and the rest of the world would be more damned if we didn't.

Hell, with that kind of a record, I'd be looking at all the faults as well if I lived in another country. It's only natural. It's down right scary what America has accomplished. Knowing human nature for what it is, people are naturally guarded around that kind of acheivement. People know that power corrupts and absolute powere corrupts absolutely. So, it's only natural for forces to line up to criticize the US unnecessarily or necessarily. Not a bad thing..... just the price for being numero uno.

That's what makes it so important for people to get information from as many different sources as possible and make up their own mind. Everyone has an agenda behind the rhetoric. Are agendas bad? No, just the opposite. The rhetoric often times get bogged down in spin if not in down right idiocy across the entire political spectrum from the far left to the far right. The agenda, or rather the political theory behind the rhetoric, is a much more productive source in terms of getting at the real issues.

After you've done the research from the left to the right, form your own opinion and for God's sake get out and vote.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Perry you make it sound like the USA did all the things above on it's own, because it wanted to, or with no other country's help. Is that what they call the American "dream"? LOL. Particularly claiming the USA won the world war I find particularly offensive.

• Perry
    Perry
    Perry you make it sound like the USA did all the things above on it's own,

Hi ballistic,

I think you are mistaken here. This thread is about "Re: America, damned if we do, damned if we don't". That was the name of this thread. So, if I featured Americas' role in the above events, that would not be at all out of harmony with the topic - America; would it?

Additionally, I didn't say America did "all the things abvove in its own". You said that. America did have an important and pivitol role in each of those events I listed. I was simply highlighting that fact due to the topic subject matter.

Particularly claiming the USA won the world war I find particularly offensive
    I am sorry that you were offended. That is unfortunate. That was not my intent at all. The USA did win that war. Each country on the winning side could legitimately make the same claim also couldn't it? The reason I didn't digress into that fact is again, because the topic was about America.
  • talesin
    talesin

had a reply to that lovely list of revisionist history, can't be bothered, it's like having an intervention with a drunk. No matter what you try to tell em, they just deny, deny, deny

adam

one thing, the 'american' thing is really just my way of showing a very silly way in which citizens of your country seem to think you are the only ones here. The only true 'americans' are the aboriginal peoples (imho) who we (the 'colonizers') tried to wipe from the face of the earth.

Rest assured that I will NEVER identify myself as 'american', for obvious reasons. When in Jamaica, the locals were fairly snooty with us. However, once we told them we were CANADIAN, we got discounts on everything, people invited us home, etc.

It's sad that your country is hated by so many. Since it's not my problem (I am not 'american'), I guess I'll stop wasting my breath trying to explain my thoughts on the matter and let y'all continue thinking that we're all jealous (ROTFLMFAO).

ballistic

• Perry
    Perry

one thing, the 'american' thing is really just my way of showing a very silly way in which citizens of your country seem to think you are the only ones here.

5 entries found for american.

A·mer·i·can ( P ) Pronunciation Key (
    adj.
    1. Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.
    2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
    3. Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples.
    4. Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals.

n.
    1. A native or inhabitant of America.
    2. A citizen of the United States.
    3. American English.

talesin,

Relax bro. It's just a common expression that is further identified by the context in which it is used. .

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Heathen,

Well, I had to spice it up a little! How else can people be tested on this forum other than by the reactions to statements?

A test can come in many forms. The wise ones will choose carefully..........the answer is unimportant.

You are at the top Heathen. Carry on!

Mr. KIM

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

people don't hate America despite the aid they give to other countries, they hate America for being able to give the aid. That's a fact! How much money can you throw down a black hole? What would be enough to make anyone actually like America? They hate us, but yet they all seem to wanna come over here.

• talesin
    talesin

tks perry

it was a kinda silly example and I meant it as such. Funny how I (thought) I made a lot of points in that post, but that was the only thing commented on.

breathe in, breathe out

aaahhhhhhhh - relaxed

p,l&h

tal

• heathen
    heathen

I can't help but ask why so many on this thread are convinced that most of the world hates the US ? I would have to guess it is that they think the US is a bully and a power hungry tyrant . I think also part of the problem is that alot of countries have a strong moslem influence and simply hate a country that professes to be of christian origin . I wonder if anyone has actually done a concensus on the issue just to find out where the US is as far as popularity .

Mr.Kim---- I would hope that most on this board wouldn't think that genocide is a good idea regardless of the circumstances . Just glad I passed the test lol

• Mac
    Mac

Tale:

After we invade ya and lead you to the light........yer not gonna be pissed at me personally.....right??

mac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit