America, damned if we do, damned if we don't

by Adam 58 Replies latest social current

• Satanus
    Satanus

I certainly wouldn't blame america for NOT doing something in nigeria, or leaving other countries alone. You must know that the cia has been overthrowing or tampering w govts in other countries for the last 40 yrs. So, it's not like your govt doesn't want to be involved. Of course those exploits were purely for the reasons of american interests, not for the people of those countries. This reduces your question to practically no value.

America has a sort of evangelical capitalist democratic ferver. It would like to convert the world to this gospel as it propagated different gospels since puritanism. Why can't it leave the heathen to their hells. They will develop at their own rates through gradualism and less aggressive methods. Augustine taught this principle to the church 1600 yrs ago.

SS

SS

• heathen
    heathen

SS --- I think US involvement in these foreign squabbles and such is because of the UN . They always seem to fall for the old , we want to go democratic ploy from little asshole countries that it wouldn't matter if they existed to begin with but in doing this is always trying to learn better military strategy and technology .IMO

• talesin
    talesin

first off, may I echo (ie, quote) Teejay's post?

i think it is very important not to CONFUSE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WITH the "Gov"

sorta like confusing the avg jw, sister old or sister single parent with the Society

the same as the avg jw has very little if anything to do with Policy, the avg Citizen here in america has very little to do with the Actual making of "Policy"

That being said, I think it's very true that the world looks to the USA to solve its problems, then criticizes everything your country does. The comments on this thread really made me think about that, and you are right!! Thanks for showing me that perspective more clearly.

As far as the comments I made earlier, I feel that this problem is not unique to the USA. Often, when we get involved in political discussions, it comes down to bashing the USA, and I don't like it.

My country, Canada, is going down the same, sorry road. We are losing our universal health care, poverty is rampant, homelessness is increasing. We have a history with the aboriginal people that we need to be ashamed of. We turned away boatloads of Jews during the Holocaust. Our mentally ill are living in extreme poverty. Homeless people are not being cared for (2 homeless men froze to death in MY CITY last winter ). I am not proud of the way things are going in my country, either.

I don't like the way some of my neighbours talk about other cultures, thinking we are better. Maybe we don't have women being stoned in the village square, but rape and partner abuse are rampant! You would be surprised at how many women are killed by their partners. So, it may not be as 'newsworthy' as the case in Nigeria, but we are doing things here that are just as bad.

My opinion is, and only my opinion, that maybe if 'we', and I mean North Americans and all those who live in so-called 'developed' countries with 'freedom', would own up to our own frailties, and look in the mirror, it would be a good thing.

How do we take the world focus from making bucks to making a better earth? Good question, why don't we start discussing that? Why don't we start debating about that, attacking the powers that be? Remember the Boston Tea Party? That was all about fighting an unfair tax, about rebelling against the empire. Haven't most of us just left an evil empire of greed? Gosh, let's not be brainwashed by Big Brother into believing our way is better than others' - let's not forget that people are neglected in our society, and by the thousands if not the millions.

And do I feel 'America' is 'damned if we do, damned if we don't'?

Well, it would be nice if you realized that the USA is not all there is to 'america' - there's Canada and Mexico here in North 'America', and there's also Central 'America', and South 'America', so you're not the only 'americans' around. We are 'americans', too, you don't own the western Hemisphere.

And, your country is not the 'best', we're all equal, but different. If you think you're the best, fine, just don't try to convince the rest of the world and then stamp your feet and yell 'foul' when we don't agree.

pl&h,

talesin

• Adam
    Adam
    Well, it would be nice if you realized that the USA is not all there is to 'america' - there's Canada and Mexico here in North 'America', and there's also Central 'America', and South 'America', so you're not the only 'americans' around. We are 'americans', too, you don't own the western Hemisphere.

Oh.........my..............god.

Kwitcherbitchen already. Now I've gotta say "USA" and never say "America" unless I'm talking about both continents? You're the kind of person who get teachers fired for using the word nappy. The kind of person who gets a duely elcected politician booted because he said niggardly. Why don't you and your politically correct crew go find someone else to irritate.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well you know I don't think that any specific gov will be able to do anything against that ...
    but they can make it worse or different

To be clear on this it is related to poverty (means 1=Economy / 2=education / 3=beliefs) ...
    More you are poor (1) more you miss (2) and more you get into (3) religion
    on a country scale = YOU'VE GOT THE KIND OF RESULTS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
    Why do the rich people/countries won't be able to help here
    because they "care about their money" ... More you are poor and more you work for less moneyPoliticians and rich people even do it to their own citizens !!! YES !!!

Why should they help ? Of course they will fake it ...
    But I'm not gonna get into this tonight I'm very concerned but I'm tired

• Maverick
    Maverick

I am proud to live here and feel no compunction as to how I live or what I have. I am aware of the general policy of Regional Destibization that the West, (and this includes Britain) has instituted on the rest of the world. The powers that be after WWII felt the world should not be left to develope in a totally haphazard fashion. This is what happened after WWI and in twenty years the world was a mess again. WWII being a continuation of the problems left over from WWI. So it was concluded that the West would "aid and guide" certain countries to maintain a balance and level of stability that would keep them manageble. The Soviet Block copied this policy, superimposing their own ajenda.

These two policies clashed but had positive results in that the pawn-nations were kept just on the brink of maturity but always weak. The US has abused this policy for short-term economic advantage. This fact has not been lost on the "victim" nations better educated citizenry. This is one of the big reasons the US is dispised abroad. The Soviets abused it to try to keep pace with the enormous wealth the West had. The sad fact is that this policy has kept the world from being a total feudal mess. And places on the Earth that are not priorities or are too costly to control are so backward and primitive as to be a joke!

Would you want a totally united Arab coalition? Or South America totally productive and competing on the world market? Or China imposing her influence with the zeal and single mindedness that Japan has? The fact is, we have a self image of the good neighbor, but in fact are moderators and regulators of who gets what and how much. And we pick a place to give our military practial combat training, (every ten years or so) to keep it that way. Maverick

• jelly
    jelly
    I am aware of the general policy of Regional Destibization that the West, (and this includes Britain) has instituted on the rest of the world

I hear this stated from time to time and I have some unanswered questions about this policy:

1. How would the US benefit from unstable regions?
    • Unstable regions tend to retard economic development. Capitalism requries new markets both for import and export of goods what makes you think the US would want unstable regions that would harm this?
    • Unstable regions can also negativly effect the flow of goods hurting economies, ie. the gulf region. Why do you think the US would want this?
  • How do you dismiss the benifits the US would gain from multiple stable trading regions?
  • Do you think the regional destablization has anything to do with dictators running the regions you speak of?
  • Terry

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Does the United States ask for trouble? When do we as a people say, enough! And tell our Government to mind our own business? How many more "innocent" people must die before the so-called "elected" people listen to the population? Or, are we just cattle needing to be managed? Your thoughts on this subject?

The USA should take all of the money used for foreign aid and reinvest all of this money into the United States. This would help, but not solve many problems.The other freeloading governments and politicians would fall from their dependence on the money tree. We need to take care of the problems within our own country first instead of screwing around with the rest of the world! We must get our own house in order and take care of our own problems and people first and if anything is left over, help the rest of the world if they want it. If not, leave them alone!!

The time for political talk is over with. But greed and "other things" push people in opposite directions. The United States should get out of most countries and stop interfering in foreign governments. However, there is an agenda that goes beyond what most people could believe or fully understand. No conspiracy, just the facts.

If the United States is attacked or other atrocities happen, the offending people and their respective country along with Everyone in that country, must be obliterated from the face of the earth. Perhaps, after billions have died, then and only then will people start to work together.

I guess this is the accepted way of life. Fighting and strife; for mankind knows no peace from within or with each other. Such is the way of things................

Mr. KIM

• heathen
    heathen

Mr.Kim--- You made perfect sense until this part --- If the United States is attacked or other atrocities happen, the offending people and their respective country along with Everyone in that country, must be obliterated from the face of the earth. Perhaps, after billions have died, then and only then will people start to work together. By staying out of other countries affairs I think that the likely hood of that happening is slim anyway but it's against international law to proceed with genocide .

frencbabyface--- I also liked your comments .

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Not to make light of a serious subject indeed .. but: people should just go fishing and be happy. =)

CG

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit