Do you remember this?

by Gorbatchov 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    Mom, what is heavy petting?

That's when you keep some large pigs as pets kid!

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I used to wonder if I was in some kind of experiment and everyone around me was an actor (see profile pic!!).

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

The experience is maybe in detail different but on abstract level the same, we share common feeling about it.

Thanks, this helps me giving it a place.

G.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I remember getting a whipping from my mom often for something I did or didn't do at the kh. So much so that my 2 brothers and I started referring to going to the kh as going to the beating, not the meeting!

just saying!

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Mom, what is heavy petting?

Everything but full sexual intercourse. We all believed back then that you could only be disfellowshipped for full sex. Oral was fine as was mutual masturbation. Nobody ever said anything different.

• hybridous
    hybridous

To the OP point - yes, I remember not really being able to wrap my mind around doctrine, and felt like I didn't fit it in because I didn't understand everything I was expected to...little did I know that accepting WT doctrine was NOT an exercise of rigorous logic, but rather a suspension of such thinking.

Not to mention, some of my Kingdom Hall contemporaries were starting to 'reach out', as-it-were, and Auxiliary Pioneer over summers and school breaks, and since I hated Field Service fiercely, I couldn't walk that plank...

While at the same time, the WT and my parents did their best/worst to make sure I didn't fit in with the kids at school...

Few friends in school and fake ones in the Kingdom Hall. I was a kid on an island.

And yet they were all astonished that I bailed on the religion. I was miserable in there, and yet it threw them for a loop that I balked at a lifetime on the hamster wheel. They really couldn't understand me - never could, I guess.

• blondie
    blondie

I was a little precocious, reading at 3 and lack of reading material around the house except newspaper, large, illustrated dictionary, encyclopedias, and the WT study articles, meant I was way past most kids my age. It was the era of the original Revelation book, Ezekiel, Daniel, Isaiah book studies and 35 paragraph WT articles penned by Fred Franz. My jw family gathered on Sunday afternoon and discussed the highlights of the coming article, sometimes differing with the article information. If parents read the magazines themselves and share appropriate points in an informal setting, I have seen some kids get more out of it. I was way past kids my age in school, so it was boring many times and I acted out or "impressed" students with my knowledge which did not make me popular with other students or my teachers. Of course, WT material is so dumbed down, it is like eating sawdust.

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

Such wonderful memories haha

Sleeping on the chairs and waking up to the sound of clapping. Looking up at my mum like, as that it now. Is the 3 day convention over? No son, this is still the first day and that was only the first talk :(

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Great to see it is more common then I thought...

G.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Looking back, I realize that I learned early on as a child, how to zone out and mentally leave my body, as a matter of survival and for maintaining my sanity while sitting in the hot sun during those 8 day assemblies that lasted from 9AM to late into the evening.

I remember the drone of the speakers voices and how they sounded like Adolph Hitler in those old movies I'd seen about Nazi Germany and WW2. I remember around 6'oclock on the first night of the assembly thinking...."Oh good, we only have 4 more hours and 7 days left to go".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit