Do you remember this?

by Gorbatchov 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

When G. was a litle kid, remembering the Watchtower study at age 9, hearing all the stuff, the paragraph, the questions, the answers, about topics I could not understand, so it became so abstract that it was not entering my ears and brains. It felt that I was no part of the group, someone alone on a distant planet.

Do you remember this feeling?

G.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Not really. I think I felt more like a boss as I knew all this important stuff that most people didn't know. Especially the first time studying Revelation book at the book study. I was around 8 I think.

I remember some other stuff too:

• When very young: sleeping on the floor between the seats during conventions. The constant buzz of the crowd and the building, the echoing monotony of the speaker's unintelligible voice that entered my sleepy brain from far, far away. There's no better place to enjoy sleep than when you're supposed to listen to life saving instructions from God lol.
    • When a bit older: being bored out of my mind at meetings. We couldn't bring any toys, always say in first row, so there was not much I could do. I crossed my legs, and my knee became a mountain lair. My finger became a car that sped up the hill for some heroic task or another. I think I'd be able to entertain myself if I ever find myself locked away in solitary confinement.
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Yup, I remember being bored out of my mind yet, certain words and phrases would make me curious. Like the time I was about 5 or 6 asking, "Mom, what is heavy petting?"

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I can relate, really confused from ages 5-7 and bored shitless from then onwards. The indoctrination is relentless. I feel sorry for the kids who currently endure this.

• fulano
    fulano

There was nothing that beat a public talk from a bad speaker at ten in the morning

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I don't remember anything like, but something similar. One thing they kept going on about was "You needed to study for the meetings." , which was something I very rarely ever did. There was one time I actually attempted it, and this was what happened. I studied the Watchtower, went through all the scripters that were in the article for the Sunday meeting. Three days went by, and when it came for the meeting, I did NOT remember a darn thing that I had studied. The bad part I was in high school, and studying for stuff in school I had no problems studying and remembering that stuff.

• sir82
    sir82

Oh yeah.

My mind was always moving, and the WT study was incredibly boring.

I would count the ceiling tiles, or run through the baseball statistics I had memorized, or remember movie / TV show plots....

It got a little better when I got older & got permission to sit with my friends. We'd crack each other up with our "edits" and captions on the pictures in the article. Wish I would have saved some of those, we got pretty good....

• sir82
    sir82

Three days went by, and when it came for the meeting, I did NOT remember a darn thing that I had studied.

That's pretty good.

Sometimes I'd read "paragraph 3", and by the time I got to "paragraph 4", 3 was already gone from my mind.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    Like the time I was about 5 or 6 asking, "Mom, what is heavy petting?"

Heavy petting? HA ! The Sunday Washtowel mtg back in the early 70's one Sunday was about oral sex, first time I ever heard of it. I remember I was in JHS, me and my friend sitting next to each other giggling and carrying on. What about the kids that were much younger,I wonder later on that evening at Dinner did they discuss what they learned at the mtg that afternoon. Interesting how Dub parents always try to keep their kids from hearing about sex on the radio and TV, but at the mtg they have no problem with it, which makes no sense at all

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I wish they had tablets back then. Surfing the net and playiing online chess is a lot more fun than following along the WT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit