Pilots for Peace?

by maybesbabies 15 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Euph,

You said,

This may be a moment for Israel to think of its roots. It was founded in the wake of the Holocaust, a series of horrendous deeds done by individuals who were 'just following orders'. Israel, of all nations, should recognize the need to allow military officers conscientious objection.
    There is, at least in the US military, a process for conscientious objectors. However, making public statements that aid the enemy will still get ya hammered in the US or most any other military.
  • czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Good job by those soldiers in following their consciences.

I think that maybe, just maybe, some palestinians will follow their example.

Hope springs eternal...

CZAR

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    There is, at least in the US military, a process for conscientious objectors. However, making public statements that aid the enemy will still get ya hammered in the US or most any other military.

Yeru, are you referring to the conscientious objector provision of the draft? As far as I'm aware, that only applies when a person is first inducted. I don't believe they can back out once they're enlisted or commissioned, can they?

Also, the provision for conscientious objection only applies to individuals who believe that war as a whole is immoral, not to individuals who object to a particular war, mission, or practice.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

You're correct on the second paragraph, it only applies to all war not just a specific action. Now, if an order is illegal...that's another matter.

But no, it's not only for the draft and at induction. In my job as a Chaplain Assistant I've assisted in several such incidences. When the first Gulf war broke out we had like 13 at Ft Campbell, KY...only one was granted, to a young lieutenant who got tied in with the JW's before the war was on the radar screen.

As far as "following your conscience" being a good thing....I'm sure Chaplain Yee and Airman Halibab (assuming they are guilty) were also following their consciences.

This has been done before (not by pilots though) and didn't inspire any Palestinian Militants to feel the same. Remember these Palestinian militants are already dedicated to killing innocent civilians...why would they change their mind. The Israelis have killed civilians incidental to legit targets.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Thanks for letting me know about the conscientious objection rule, Yeru.

You also wrote:

As far as "following your conscience" being a good thing....I'm sure Chaplain Yee and Airman Halibab (assuming they are guilty) were also following their consciences.

I'm not familiar with the case of Halibab. But Yee--if the accusations are true--acted underhandedly. He engaged in deceit, using his position of trust to undermine the nation he was sworn to serve. The pilots in this case did nothing deceptive or underhanded; they expressed their intentions openly to their commanding officer. I don't see how you can compare the cases.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

The cases can be compared as to "following conscience" but little else...oh, and that little oath thingy too, that might be important.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit