Pilots for Peace?

by maybesbabies 15 Replies latest social current

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Israel Reels at Pilots' Refusal to Go on Missions

Thu Sep 25,10:27 AM ET
    Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Jeffrey Heller

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel reeled Thursday from the shock refusal of a group of air force pilots to carry out missions against Palestinian militants in which civilians could be killed.

Reuters Photo

AP Photo
    SlideshowSlideshow: Mideast Conflict

"The pilots' mutiny" was how Israel's largest newspaper, Yedioth Ahronoth, described their action as commentators speculated whether other soldiers might follow suit in opposing the way the military confronts a Palestinian uprising.

But much of the emotive debate touched off by a letter released by 27 veteran airmen -- only nine of whom are still called to active duty as reservists -- largely veered away from the moral aspect of the deaths of innocents.

It focused instead on the embarrassing blow dealt to an air force Israel regards as one of its proudest achievements and whether members of what Israelis call a people's army can, in matters of conscience, take a stand against official policy.

"We, who were taught to love Israel and contribute to the Zionist enterprise ( news - web sites), refuse to take part in attacks on civilian population centers," the pilots wrote in a letter to air force chief Dan Halutz.

It was the highest-profile act of defiance by members of the armed forces since the 1982 invasion of Lebanon, when a tank brigade commander resigned rather than invade Beirut after saying he saw children through his field glasses.

Military sources said no decision had been taken as yet on punishing those pilots on active status.

NORMS HAVE CHANGED

Both sides in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict have been hardened by violence that has included dozens of suicide bombings in Israeli cities and air attacks on militants in which Palestinian civilians have died.

Israel has a small active group of conscientious objectors, but their campaign has been overshadowed by the daily bloodshed.

"The norm we were taught was that we do not go to places where we known civilians are present," said Lieutenant-Colonel Zeev Rotem, a retired navigator who did not sign the letter.

"That norm has changed. Today (we) attack targets where there are civilians -- women and children -- knowing there's a good chance they will die," he told Israel Radio. Israel drew international condemnation last year when 16 civilians died after an F-16 warplane dropped a one-ton bomb on a residential neighborhood in Gaza City to kill Salah Shehade, a top commander in the militant Islamic group Hamas.

Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said Israeli decision-makers always take possible civilian casualties into account.

"For example, we carry out the operation after 8 a.m., because children will not be there, or use a much lighter bomb that does not guarantee the mission will be successful but does ensure innocents will not be hurt," Shalom told Israel Radio.

Israel failed to kill several Hamas leaders in recent attacks after using less powerful bombs in order to reduce the risk of hitting civilians.

Shalom said the pilots appeared to have an alternative political agenda, referring to their accusation that occupation in the West Bank and Gaza Strip ( news - web sites) had "corrupted Israeli society."

Accusing the maverick pilots of self-indulgence, Ezer Weizman, Israel's former president and ex-air force commander, told Army Radio: "I would ground them immediately. It's like...cancer -- it will spread if it isn't cut out."

• jelly
    jelly

now if some of the pals would just refuse to blow up school buses peace would have a chance.

Terry

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Jelly,

My sentiments exactly.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

We can only hope!! It's too bad the suicide bombers don't have the same aversion to killing innocents as these pilots!!!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Having said all this...it looks as if these pilots will be punished...as would most likely also happen in the US. The problem with a statement like this is that if it isn't mutual...on both sides...it encourages the terrorists.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Well they've made a stand and I'm sure they have considered the consequences. It won't go easy on them.

I'm sure more school buses will be blown up soon in retaliation for trying to make the terrorists look bad.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

"The day I see a Palestinian official on BBC or CNN stirring up an internal debate on the killing of Israeli citizens, then I will know that they are also part of the family of nations," Meir said. "As long as that doesn't happen, I ask the foreign media to put it all in context."

Gideon Meir is the Foreign Minister's deputy director general for Public Affairs.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1064470661430

IAF commander Maj. Gen. Dan Halutz gave the order Thursday morning to ground the nine the only active pilots of the refusal movement, and ordered the immediate grounding of the handful of flight instructors in the Hazterim base in the south. They will meet with their commanders in the coming days and will be asked to retract the statement publicly. Those who refuse will be dismissed from active duty.

IDF sources indicated that the reservists would likely not be tried, largely because their reserve duty is semi-voluntary, and because a majority of the signatories are beyond the age of reserve duty.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1064373872834

I have to wonder how Yasser Arafat would welcome the same conduct from prominent members of Hamas and how the media would portray it?

• jelly
    jelly

Actually, I am not a former military guy so maybe I speak out of turn but I think whenever you have the military making decisions in place of civilian leadership it’s a recipe for disaster. The burden for the morality of military action is placed on a nation’s populace and elected leaders, when the military begins to make their own rules you are one-step away from the military making all the rules. Of course, this is simply a principle and not a hard and fast rule and certain extreme situations would warrant a refusal of action by the soldiers. Like I said it’s a principle and not a rule.

Terry

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

This may be a moment for Israel to think of its roots. It was founded in the wake of the Holocaust, a series of horrendous deeds done by individuals who were 'just following orders'. Israel, of all nations, should recognize the need to allow military officers conscientious objection.

I do think that the pilots should resign. If they can't carry out the policies of the military, they shouldn't be military officers. But I hope that they're allowed to resign honorably, and not punished in any way.

• Xandria
    Xandria

We can only hope.. sis.

X.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit