Another generation....

by joey jojo 241 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

"And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world." TD

There is more.

While Paul delighted in God's Holy Spirit:

(1. communicating with God!!!!

2. (2 Corinthians 12:1-5) 12 I have to boast. It is not beneficial, but I will move on to supernatural visions and revelations of the Lord. 2 I know a man in union with Christ who, 14 years ago—whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know; God knows—was caught away to the third heaven. 3 Yes, I know such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body, I do not know; God knows— 4 who was caught away into paradise and heard words that cannot be spoken and that are not lawful for a man to say. 5. . .

3. proof)

I tell you that after a while, you take these things for granted as sight and sound and taste and these blessings coexist with personal sufferings that God does not shield one from and one must live a life obeying Christian rules and like in Paul's case, persecution. Paul could not have meant that it does not pay being a CHristian because Christians are rewarded with God's Holy Spirit and that is better than everything but in the flesh one has physical needs too that God does complete with his Holy Spirit and a yearning for fulfillment that can only be satisfied with the reward.The "reward "is not only e personal relief but it also involves justice and seeing everything that Jesus spoke realize and the vindication of the Christian movement sort of speak.

When a Christian serves God, he experiences God rewarding him with his Holy spirit, blessings and approval and he also looks forward to God rewarding him with everlasting life etc, but if all there is death for all, a person may not choose to live everything the Christian way -what is the point of it all. The argument is moot because God gave Paul proof and God promises in the Bible that there is something more.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

flip flopping, flapper gasting generation teachings

I seems very logical to me, 1914, end of the gentile times and how wt interprets the Bible, it fits. It also seemed like a cut and dry generation.

Starting from the 18 hundreds we are soon in the second decade of the 2000s. That is a pretty long generation!

But there is evidence of Gods Holy Spirit on the work which trumps.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    "cut-and-dried" to the grammar and spelling police.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

The "reward "is not only e personal relief but it also involves justice and seeing everything that Jesus spoke realize and the vindication of the Christian movement sort of speak.

When my parents were baptised in 1960 they were taught that the tribulation had started in 1914 and been cut short allowing for the work of the anointed so that the sheep like could be saved.

No doubt tied to God's eternal purpose or his plan of the ages, as it says in the last sentence of the book God's Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing For Man's Good (Watchtower 1974)

'Nothing finer could there be than to make God's purpose our purpose'

The first booklet that my parents studied 'Look! I'm making all things new' (1959)

It is the generation of people now living who have the opportunity of learning the Bible and surviving the world's end. Jesus further prophesied concerning this day: "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for the purpose of a witness to all the nations, and then the accomplished end will come." (Matthew 24:14)...
    Do you hear this witness? Do you realize its urgency? Do you want to survive out of this old world of confusion and sorrow into God's new world of peace and joy? Then you must act, and act immediately!...
    Your safety and the whole future of yourself and your family depend on now studying the Bible, associating with the New World society of Jehovah's witnesses, dedicating yourself to your Creator, Jehovah God, and witnessing for him...

'He serves God because it is the only right thing to do' - Fisherman

It seems to me that it was the right thing to do because the salvation was tied to the good news as part of God's eternal purpose

In the past two or three years I have spoken to three Witnesses and I have talked about the Good News that they are preaching. One was an elder came to my door.

I understood when I was baptised and I don't think it has changed that in 1920 it was discerned that the good news of God's kingdom as established in the heavens in 1914 (A.D.) was to be preached in fulfilment of Matthew 24:14.

It was done for a witness by Kingdom witnesses as the book Babylon the Great has fallen- Gods Kingdom rules points out and where it also says this on page 465.

The speaker, J. F. Rutherford, then president of the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, quoted to the assembled thousands Isaiah 43:8-12 (AV) and then proceeded to say:

Thus we see that those of the temple class are clearly designated as the Lord's witnesses at this time, to bring a message of consolation to the people, that the kingdom of heaven is here, and that millions now living will never die...

When I have had a conversation with the elder about the good news that he brings to my door and we discuss 1914. He tells me that it wouldn't matter if the date were changed. Which sounds to me that he is not convinced of what he is preaching.

When I discuss the good news with another Witness who lives thousands of miles away and is active in the field ministry. They tell me that they do not discuss 1914 as they believe it could be wrong.

The other Witness that I know and came to me was having difficulty with it as well and also believing that God exists.

The preaching of the Good News from what I understand was very important and those that act as witnesses according to Jehovah's Witnesses Proclaimers of God's Kingdom page 12 under the subheading What it means to be a Witness says

So a Witness relates facts from direct personal knowledge, or he proclaims views or truths of which he is convinced.

These three Witnesses were not convinced from what they told me that 1914 was the end of the gentile times although they identify as Jehovah's Witnesses and engaging in the preaching work.

Fisherman you say

But there is evidence of Gods Holy Spirit on the work which trumps.

To me it would not seem as much evidence if those that preach however much they preach are not convinced of what they preach and have been wrong as with the generation and the millions now living will never die and as you say about justice the word witness has is related to a courtroom setting.

When I stopped witnessing as a Jehovah's Witness I did it because I was no longer convinced regarding events surrounding 1914 and how it related to Matthew 24:14

It will be noted he does not say the gospel that has been preached to the meek throughout the entire Gospel age shall be preached. What gospel then could he mean? The gospel means good news. The good news here is concerning the end of the old order of things and the establishment of Messiah's kingdom. (The Watch Tower in English under date of July 1, 1920)

as we had been told. My decision affected my family and children but as a dedication to God was made it included doing things to the best of my ability which included being honest about my witnessing although it meant serving God with the prospects that if the Witnesses were correct then I would die at Armageddon. However can those not convinced who witness claim the same, I don't know?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    I also think that when Pharaoh and his army were coming after those that left Egypt with Moses and the sea parted and they were baptised into Moses it would be difficult to say whether individually they did it as it was the right thing to do.
  • TD
    TD

Fisherman,

You seem to imply that one can choose to deliberately mock Jehovah without punishment or cause harm to others without paying a price. It seems to me that Jehovah will fulfill my desire for justice.

Not at all. Sinners die don't they? :-)

To be clear, my interest on this thread is only in the theology of the JW faith and its internal agreement and continuity. (Or the lack thereof) I'm not promoting a personal viewpoint here.

With that in mind, the Bible Student / JW movement has from its earliest beginnings rejected both the doctrine of hell fire as well as its attendant ideological precepts. This includes the idea that any further payment for sin is required beyond the death of the sinner. The have never taught anything even remotely resembling the notion you have floated on this thread - That the resurrected will face God's "Vengeance" in a "Universal Court of Justice" for the sins they they committed prior to their death.

-From the JW publication, Reasoning From The Scriptures:

"Both those who formerly did good things and those who formerly practiced bad things will be “judged individually according to their deeds.” What deeds? If we were to take the view that people were going to be condemned on the basis of deeds in their past life, that would be inconsistent with Romans 6:7: “He who has died has been acquitted from his sin.” It would also be unreasonable to resurrect people simply for them to be destroyed. So, at John 5:28, 29a, Jesus was pointing ahead to the resurrection; then, in the remainder of verse 29, he was expressing the outcome after they had been uplifted to human perfection and been put on judgment." (p. 338)

Acquittal of past sin is the "Clean slate" of which I spoke and this is indeed what JW's teach.

-From the JW Bible Encyclopedia, Insight On The Scriptures:

"Jesus was therefore evidently taking a similar position in time in speaking of “those who did good things” and “those who practiced vile things,” namely, a position at the end of the period of judgment, as looking back in retrospect or in review of the actions of these resurrected persons after they had opportunity to obey or disobey the “things written in the scrolls.” Only at the end of the judgment period would it be demonstrated who had done good or bad. The outcome to “those who did good things” (according to “those things written in the scrolls”) would be the reward of life; to “those who practiced vile things,” a judgment of condemnation. The resurrection would have turned out to be either to life or to condemnation." (Volume II, p. 789)

-From the April, 1st 1982 Watchtower:

"Both “those who did good things” and “those who practiced vile things” will be among “those dead” who will be “judged individually according to their deeds” performed after their resurrection. (Revelation 20:13) When contrasting “resurrection of life” with “resurrection of judgment [Greek, a·na´sta·sis kri´seos],” Jesus was referring to the end result of such resurrections."

I tell you that after a while, you take these things for granted as sight and sound and taste and these blessings coexist with personal sufferings that God does not shield one from and one must live a life obeying Christian rules and like in Paul's case, persecution.

-Again, I'm not trying to promote my own personal viewpoint at the expense of yours. I'm simply pointing out what the JW's have taught vis-à-vis the Great Crowd and how that has become problematic over the passage of time.

You have already been given a quote where it was very clearly stated that the generation of the "Great Crowd" (i.e. Those adults standing up in 1935 and being recognized as such) would be "most to be pitied" if their hopes were dashed. A twenty-five year old living in 1935 would be 106 today and the clock continues to tick. 

Redefining the term, "Generation" doesn't fix this.  It doesn't even put a scratch in the real problem, which is that the "Great Crowd" doctrine itself is dependent upon the length of a human lifespan. 

• prologos
    prologos
    TD: "--Great Crowd" doctrine itself is dependent upon the length of a human lifespan." So was the idea of the 1914 generation, anointed or not. That did not stop wt writers to make them into overlapping groups. Perhaps they are working on a Great Crowd aka the 12 tribes of Israel, to become under -lappers and over- lappers too.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

Why, for example, die in a concentration camp if the full extent of your hope is to be resurrected right alongside your captors???? What possible incentive is that to be faithful???? ..... clean slate -td

*** w12 9/1 p. 16 What Will Happen on Judgment Day? ***
    The resurrected ones will be judged, not on the basis of what they did before they died, but on what they do when the contents of the “scrolls” mentioned in Revelation chapter 20 are revealed. (Romans 6:7) Among those who will come back to life and have the opportunity to learn about God are “both the righteous and the unrighteous,” said the apostle Paul.—Read Acts 24:15.
    'Imagine your resurrected captors having to face you in the universal court of Justice' "What in the world will king David tell Uriah when he will face him someday" and too David paid an expensive price.." As I said before, you fail to understand.

(Revelation 20:11-13) 11 And I saw a great white throne and the One seated on it. From before him the earth and the heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and scrolls were opened. But another scroll was opened; it is the scroll of life. The dead were judged out of those things written in the scrolls according to their deeds. 13 And the sea gave up the dead in it, and death and the Grave gave up the dead in them, and they were judged individually according to their deeds. . . (Revelation 20:14, 15) 14 And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire. 15 Furthermore, whoever was not found written in the book of life was hurled into the lake of fire.

Sinners die don't they?
    Some die after they are killed by a vengeful God, for example: (1 Samuel 15:33) and compare (Exodus 1:22) . . . with (Exodus 11:5) 5. compare: O God of vengeance, Jehovah, O God of vengeance, shine forth! 2 Rise up, O Judge of the earth. Repay to the haughty what they deserve. -(Psalm 94:1, 2) others are kept alive: (Exodus 9:16) and others (Revelation 19:17)

Either you don't see it or are pretending not to see it. -a man of your intellect and education: Bible history proves that Jehovah of the Bible is not one to be mocked. Christians have delegated personal vengeance and justice to God, but you seem to imply that people that harm Jehovah's friends will not have to pay but will smoothly  get away with it and wind up with a clean slate. You also seem to imply that it is better to be ignorant of God so that you can live it up without any accountability except a clean slate after a guaranteed resurrection. Is that what you think is JW theology!

The incentive for serving God is a clean conscience, blessings, Holy Spirit, that a christian experiences, triumph and vindication, and a guarantee of everlasting life via resurrection or being part of the great crowd.

• TD
    TD

Either you don't see it or are pretending not to see it.

???

What is it that you think I'm not seeing? I'm genuinely intrigued here.

Your quote above from the 2012 Watchtower very clear says that the resurrected are not judged on the basis of what they did before they died, which is exactly what I've been saying. -Death wipes that slate clean and (In JW theology) they have the opportunity to start over.

Again, from the JW publication, Reasoning From The Scriptures:

"If we were to take the view that people were going to be condemned on the basis of deeds in their past life, that would be inconsistent with Romans 6:7: “He who has died has been acquitted from his sin.” "

• TD
    TD

Prologos

I don't think that semantic fluidity exists with the more purely mathematical concept of the "Great Crowd."

You have zero prospect of surviving an event you will never live to see. -Period. -End of story.

QED - You can't even be a "Prospective" member of the "Great Crowd" if you're not within a human lifespan of the "Great Tribulation." That's just cold, hard math.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit