What Percentage of active JW's are on Anti-Depressants?

by Sea Breeze 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

My wife, mother, and sisters mental health has improved considerably since we all stopped being Jw's. II know for myself, I'm less stressed and nolonger on eggshells.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

When you're always told the big "A'' is coming soon, not measuriing up, you're ''bloodguilty'' you can't watch this or do that, and mile - long list of can't do's,,,it's no wonder why people get depressed.

• hoser
    hoser

50% of my immediate family(brothers, sisters, parents ) are on meds. My elde BIL isn’t that I know of but he’s a drunk.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SEA BREEZE:

A few JWs friends I keep in touch with are medicated as well. A coincidence? I hardly think so.

This religion really does a number on people’s heads. I am not even a born-in and I came away with OCD. I never took meds for it but probably should have. Because I’m out so many years it’s pretty much gone away.

But, pity the PIMIs in the religion that have so much mental pressure to live up to nonsense: constantly being judged; acting like they are under siege; dealing with people crazier than they are; being targeted for money plu$ dealing with the unenviable, difficult existence if talked out of getting a career! And to add insult to injury, dealing with growing older in a system they didn’t expect to still be in!.. I’m not surprised that they are on meds!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I attended an ex-jw meet up a few years back. I was surprised at the amount of women there. That had very troublesome lives, been married to an abusive alcoholic husband.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

LongHairGal - I think you pegged it: "so much mental pressure to live up to".

In the JW world, I have heard CO's say 65% are on meds for depression/anxiety. I don't know where WTC got that number but I don't doubt that it is more than half. In my own experience, over half the cong was on meds. In addition to that, alcohol was a popular crutch as well.

It is amazing to me that so many are suffering but no one active seems to be pointing at the internal problems of the org as causation.

Without water, the grass withers. The same is true in JWland. There is no spiritual or personal water that refreshes so the enslaved suffer emotionally and mentally. I recall that Soviet oppression was blamed for the high degree of alcoholism, yet few blame WTC for the pressure they exert on their followers.

At Bethel, alcohol was a SERIOUS problem. We knew it and so did the GB - they mentioned it at least once a week in morning worship. Ironically they were heavy drinkers also.

I see great value in medications that help those who are pre-disposed to depression or other mental/emotional problems. On the other hand, if the problem is due to pressure from the religion you are in.... LEAVE!!!!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

From what I hear, self-medicating goes all the way up the ladder.

• psyco
    psyco

I would not be surprised since you are regularly and constantly (at least twice a week) reminded that:

- you are mortal because of Adam and Eve;

- you have to suffer all life, missing your goals and making mistakes being imperfect, because of Adam and Eve;

- you are under daily attack by Satan and demons, perfect spiritual creatures more powerful than you;

- you have to be ready to be persecuted to death if needed as a martyr;

- you have to be ready to die avoiding a blood transfusion;

- you have to prepare an emergency bag, keeping it updated and being ready to escape;

- you have to ring door bells of angry people who could even attack you physically;

- you have to control your words because if you express a personal idea in contrast with the religion you risk a judicial committee, disfellowshipping, and shunning;

- you have to be ready to go through a great tribulation never experienced before;

- after one thousand years of paradise still in imperfect conditions, you have to pass a final test where the number of rebels (who could be your family members, relatives, friends you made in the meanwhile, etc.) will be as the sand of the sea...

Do I forget anything?

Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety... Which leads to depression, depression, depression...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"Do I forget anything?"

Just more unnecessary stress and undue influence result in one's insecurities, Not adequate enough.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I always thought if I remained a witness, I’d be sitting in a rubber room (psych hospital), heavily medicated, and in a strait jacket. So glad I left!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit