What Percentage of active JW's are on Anti-Depressants?

by Sea Breeze 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"So I wonder how much of the depression and illness is the result of abusive home life,"

Probably all the time.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    So I wonder how much of the depression and illness is the result of abusive home life.

Just ask the (non-JW) spouse of any born-in JW. They will tell you that what they put kids through is nothing short of criminal.

But, thanks be to Christ "who makes all things work for the good of those that love him and are called according to his purpose". Romans 8: 28

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

per Sea Breeze- "They will tell you that what they put kids through is nothing short of criminal" ....I knew a family of with two children and I would have hated to be one of those kids. One is bipolar - in and out of hospitals for cutting, etc. Here is an irony: The family took on welfare foster children for extra money. The son in the family knew these kids were there because of a bad home life. He turned his own family ( the JW ) into the welfare and was allowed to leave the home to live with his grandmother.

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

Have felt bad for many kids in the Borg. Have seen lots of JWs with mental problems having kids. Imagine a unstable organisationen like watchtower that only has in mind knock on so many doors possible every month. With all kind of weird rules and regulations. If your parents are ready unstable with mental problems, they gonna apply every insane rule even harder. Seen that to many times in congregations.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Dubs claim they are "not extremists'' at all.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

And the Happiest bunch too...they claim.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

There was an internist (somewhere in NYC) who had a large number of JWs as patients. This physician, after repeatedly asking the patients questions about their mental health, would write prescriptions for anti-depressants (a.k.a. "head meds") during every single appointment! Even if the dub didn't have ANY issues in that particular area, this doctor would write out a 'script anyways! The PIMOs who told me about this said that this medical professional felt--no doubt personally--that JWs, due to their belief system (doctrines and policies), are "prime candidates for use of these medications, particularly they're being members of a high-control group!". With the way WT is, I'm not really shocked! โ˜๐Ÿปโ˜๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I know everyone feels this way but just to be clear, we hope anyone who feels they need some help, gets it. There is no shame to using antidepressants or other medications. If you feel you may be tempted to harm yourself, please do not hesitate calling 988 in the US.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

About 20 years ago I was having an off the record chat to somebody in a leadership role in the org, somebody that I knew well and trusted, kind of pouring it all out. I stated that "I think probably half of the women I know (in da troof) are on happy pills", he cut in there and said 65%.

RB

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

So I wonder how much of the depression and illness is the result of abusive home life.

Perhaps a pretty fair amount, but I would hazard a guess that there is as much or more depression and illness as a direct result of and abusive RELIGIOUS life. Always being goaded to do and give more. . .More. . .MORE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit