A DAY IN THE LIFE

by Terry 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry

A DAY IN THE LIFE

I took a hot bath this morning. Then, after making my bed and saying "Good Morning" to my roommate, Sana--I jumped on my bike and headed off to breakfast.
    Sound exciting enough for you yet? Stay tuned!

The Dixie house seems to cater to defunct older men which makes it great for breakfast. At $3.99 it's hard to beat sausage/bacon, eggs, toast, cream gravy, hash browns, strawberry preserves and coffee. (Okay, coffee IS extra.)

Still not exciting enough? Hang in there . . .
    I didn't realize it was 59 degrees when I got on my bike after that hot bath! Immediately my shoulders became sore. I was baffled. That is, until I remembered having that truel to the death on Saturday morning with two vicious biting dogs! Swinging that bicycle back and forth must have wrenched a muscle--or something--(that's what older people always say: "I wrenched" a muscle."
    So, after breakfast I headed for Starbucks, my home-away-from-home where I commence my writing for the day.
    As I was sitting down, a fellow of about 45 smiled at me and spoke:

"How are you feeling this morning?"
    "My shoulders are sore from fighting with a couple of stray dogs. I think I wrenched my neck."

He smiled and nodded. Then, he stood as I sat. He turned to face me and asked me another question:
    "Do you believe in the power of prayer?"

"I was baptized in 1963 and I'm no stranger to prayer. I'm 68 and still alive in good health." (How's that for a diplomatic answer?)
    So the man grins. He askes yet another question while still standing in front of me gazing down.
    "Do you acknowledge the healing power of Jesus Christ?"
    Well now, I was in such a good mood this morning, I just didn't feel at all like screwing around and spoiling this inquisitive fella's morning.

Now comes the part you've been waiting for. The good fellow with the ordinary face and kindly smile stepped closer and reached out and laid his hand upon my shoulder right there in the middle of Starbucks!
    I don't know how you'd react to this--but I was suddenly having a great fun time! Where else but Texas can you get breakfast for under $4 plus your shoulder healed in Starbucks for free?

The next thing I know, this stranger summons his inner Benny Hinn and raises his right hand to Jesus as his left hand finds the sore spot in my shoulder unbidden, and he commences to beseech the miracles of heaven to flow into my anterior musculature as a soothing Balsam from Gildead. Or something.

His recitation, which included some rather colorful vocabulary usage such as "vexing affliction" and "unwarranted encounter with beasts of the field," and capped it off with a hearty "In the blood of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ." (To which I joined in with a magnificent and stentorian "AAAAA-MEN!"

I was sucking up the numinous powers of celestial succor like chocolate milk through a straw! It's the most fun I've had since I found a $20 bill in the pocket of an old pair of pants.

My benefactor was interrupted by another man he'd been waiting on, and they immediately went off to another part of Starbucks to talk 'bidness'.
    And that was that!
    Except, it wasn't. . .

My shoulder instantly improved and the pain in my neck vanished as sure as I'm sitting here--no shit!

Now isn't that dandy?

Post Script:
    I just sneezed. A lady sitting to my right smiled at me and offered a warm, "God Bless You!"

I can see this is going to be one of the good days!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander
    I once stayed at a Motel 6. Never again. Glad you're feeling better.
  • Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Praise the Lord! Great story!

Hope your day is full of blessings.

• Zoos
    Zoos

Ah, touch therapy for pain management.

er...uhm... I mean... Praise Jesus!

You speak often of people simply approaching you. Does being such a familiar face at the coffee shop lend itself to being perceived as approachable, which clearly you are?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger
    Seriously?
  • The Marvster
    The Marvster

OMG... I face palmed about 4 times reading this... but then again, 'the laying on of hands', I think a few JW elders could take some lessons from this guy.... even just a few lessons about human affection....

Right up until the Starbucks moment (before the conversation started) I was thinking, 'Gosh, that is exactly like a typical Saturday or Sunday morning chillout session I have practically every week....

Was great fun reading that....

thanks

• Terry
    Terry

I do wonder.

I recently moved to the other side of town here in Ft. Worth.

I previously haunted the Camp Bowie Blvd. location and now I'm a "newbie" at the Hulen south location.

Why am I approachable? I have no idea!

I'm tall and probably have a sappy expression of goofy, good-natured altruism pasted on my face.

Or not.

STARBUCKS is a community watering hole. It attracts a certain type of person who arrives with a laptop and plugs in. Conviviality and sociable camaraderie go hand in hand.

If you know how to beat the high prices, its a pretty good spot for writing.

I have the Gold Card which entitles me to free refills. I buy a tall coffee-of-the-day and I'm good for hours. I don't spend $2 and yet get free Wi-Fi, an outdoors patio and shady umbrella :)

As a writer, I'm a people watcher. I have a tendency to snoop, too. . .

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

" I heal you in the name and sanctification of JWN " ....... Amen

I feel your a little bit constipated right now Terry, so you should be making your way to the bathroom shortly.

Have a pleasant and dog free day !

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou
    Good afternoon, god bless you and everbody hanging around there at your place.
  • Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Terry, loved the story!

My husband was born in Ft. Worth. When I get a bad headache I lay my head on his chest and the pain goes right away.

Is there something mysterious in Ft. Worth that makes people able to heal? I bet there is.

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit