A DAY IN THE LIFE

by Terry 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol
    haha, great story Terry. Just be careful that you won't become too vulnerable for religious people... you might encounter some JW's one day and God knows what they could tell you... :P
  • Terry
    Terry

The "healer" hasn't returned (and neither has my shoulder soreness) :)

Usually, I have immediate antipathy for the hardcore, evangelical types. This one was very low key.

I have a friend named Dub who use to be into all that healing and laying on of hands stuff. He's an ex-Baptist minister who lost a leg in a car accident.

He simply explains it all by saying, "If you believe this stuff works--it works. If you don't--it doesn't."

I replied, "Subjective opinion rather than Science, eh?"

He agreed.

Pain is more or less a kind of "opinion." Nobody else can feel it or authenticate it. In the same way, a lie detector (polygraph) operates on the same principle. If you are a sociopath, you can beat a Lie Detector because your "opinion" of the lie isn't connected to a real emotion.

This is on a vast grayscale of some kind. If you have a knife wound, we could all agree the pain would be "real."
    Many years back, there was a very popular breathing technique for new mothers giving birth without pain (or at least, lessening the pain.) If you were coached (by your husband!) to breathe the right way at the right times, the pain was diminished. I was a coach and it seemed to help. It's all subjective, mind you!

Anyway. . .

I've used the same breathing technique--don't laugh--to climb naked into a very VERY hot bath without suffering extreme "pain." It really and truly makes it possible.

What all this has to do with "laying on hands" and "healing" is beyond me. I'm just throwing this stuff out.

I do NOT believe in healing magically or miraculously--so--draw your own conclusions.

I think my shoulder had been warmed up enough (coming in from the chill out-of-doors) to feel better.

The man with the divine plan just came in at the middle of the natural cycle. (That's my explanation.)

James Randi wrote an interesting, informative and well-documented book on FAITH HEALERS which I think all of you would enjoy reading.

72 used & new from $2.03

http://www.amazon.com/The-Faith-Healers-James-Randi/dp/0879755350

• fukitol
    fukitol
    So this bizarre and seemingly miraculous encounter is just a source of amusement and the 'healing' dismissed by you as psychosomatic or coincidental?
  • Splash
    Splash

Just taking a look at those locations.

I bet it's nicer to sit outside beside a fountain with nearby pedestrians to engage with than it is to sit indoors overlooking a quiet car park.

Seems like a pleasant way to spend some time!

• Terry
    Terry

So this bizarre and seemingly miraculous encounter is just a source of amusement and the 'healing' dismissed by you as psychosomatic or coincidental?

I define "miraculous" as "something impossible, inexplicable and only achievable by supernatural means."

So, I find the incident to be amusingly short of reaching such a standard.

It was chilly outside and warm inside. As the chill wore off the improvement in the shoulder CO-INCIDED with the razz-ma-tazz of the religious guy. He will accept the credit (or he'll attribute it to God, of course.)

Think of it like this:

A person who, we'll say--becomes ill--will follow this inevitable course:

1. They'll get better on their own.

OR

2. They'll get worse and worse

Now, when is some "intervention" going to be called for (whether medical or mumbo jumbo)?

It will occur WHEN THINGS GET WORSE.

Let us chart the only two possible outcomes.

1. The person gets worse and worse and dies.

2. The person gets worse, then a little better, then comes out alright.

ALL INTERVENTIONS come when things are worsening.

Any recovery will be attributed to the intervention--whether or not the 'intervention' had anything to do with the recovery!

In FAITH HEALING, if you were going to get better anyway--you'll never know that because you had the "healing intervention."

If you DIED, the Faith Healer will say, "He didn't have enough faith."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There is debate whether or not faith healing as psychological stimulate actually enhances healing from a physiological viewpoint.

Perhaps someone has some information on the subject. ?

Didn't we feel a little better when mom gave us a hug when we were sick as children ?

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    It was the bacon. I always feel better after eating bacon. : )
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    I find it interesting to learn about James Randi writing on such a serious subject. When I was kid, there was a show called Wonderama and there was always a frequent guest on the show called The Amazing Randy doing magic tricks for the kids, I guess as he got older he dropped the tricks and got serious. I wonder how old he is now?
  • fukitol
    fukitol
    You're 68 and you have a roommate?
  • Terry
    Terry

You're 68 and you have a roommate?

Ha ha ha--it does sound absurd!

I have 4 roommates. It has to do with living on Social Security.

About three yeas ago, my savings were wiped out when I got a jaw infection and went to the emergency room.

Seven days later, I owed eighty-three thousand dollars. I was wiped out.

But, as life sets up obstacles I learn to adapt.

Simple as that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit