Seeking advise on going to college/university

by joe134cd 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• talesin
    talesin

Post-secondary education is a MUST.

Whether that is in the form of a university education or community college, should depend on your aptitude and the future availability of jobs. That's just my two.

: )

xx

tal

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It is important to consider the employability and earning potential of any degree(s) earned. At the risk of stating the obvious, a BA in art history will not open the door to as many job opportunities as a degree in engineering.

Part of making this decision should be having an end goal in mind, that is: What are your plans after college?

Obviously there are exceptions to any kind of situation. There are PhDs that are unemployed and people that only have a high school diploma pulling down six-figures or more every year. But it makes sense to go with the odds unless you are the exception. If you are, then play that lottery and more power to you!

But the fact is: educated people generally earn more than those that are not. YMMV.

All of that being said, attending college and getting a degree is a huge commitment of both time and money. No one should do it merely for the hope of a better paycheck at the end. Anyone considering college should enroll in a program that will not only have the potential to make them employable, but do so in a field which interests them, even better if it's something that excites you!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Post secondary education is NOT an option. This goes 100% against the Borgs advice. Totally.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

BS: Post secondary education is NOT an option. This goes 100% against the Borgs advice. Totally.

Well that's just one more reason to do it!

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    I wonder how many people that they are kicking out from bethels around the world will be getting a collage course in some way or other
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yes I realize that those with degrees have lower unemployment rates and earn more. The issue is doing a degree so late in ones working life and the earning potential in order to recover costs of the training and the effort required to get it. Is it really worth it. She found out her boss (there is only the boss and her working there) is pulling around $US670-$US871 a week in the hand. That's not bad money for someone with just a trade certificate and probably even so for some one with a university degree when accounting for the exchange rate to $USA and the cost of living here.

Although she earns substantially less than that at the moment. The boss is getting old and is wanting to retire. Doing an apprenticeship as an adult significantly reduces the training time in order to qualify. So there is certainly room to move.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The biggest thing to worry about is the debt. If you can go through college without getting into unmanageable debt, go for it--but be aware that college is, like high school, based on the Rockefeller system intended to keep status quo unchallenged. The jobs require this to ensure no one is going to come in with a 9th grade education or less, start working, and turn the whole Rockefeller system on its head.

Besides this, I would be careful about going to college before the end of 2017. Saturn in Sagittarius is a bad sign for colleges, which could go kaput or end up teaching you rubbish. You will still be responsible for the debt. I would wait, if possible, until the end of 2018 when Saturn will be gone into Capricorn and Jupiter will be in Sagittarius--a favorable time for college. By then, chances are good that, instead of going into a lifetime of debt slavery, you will be able to pay for your whole college education with a small handful of silver coins.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

joe134cd: The issue is doing a degree so late in ones working life and the earning potential in order to recover costs of the training and the effort required to get it. Is it really worth it.

Good point, joe. Obviously one needs to do the math.

But getting a degree, even an advanced degree, later in life can be very worth it.

In my own case I got my BA in my 40s and my MA in my 50s. My student debt for both was/is (I'm still paying it off) around $50k US. My earnings over the remaining working years of my life will be many times more that amount. In fact, as a result of the MA alone I will make about $200k more over the next 10 years. So it's really a no-brainer from the financial standpoint alone.

More importantly, I am working doing what I want in a field that is very personally rewarding to me: education.

BTW, when I became a JW in my 20s, I did the usual gig in my neck of the woods and became a poolman. To put it mildly, that was not the career for me. YMMV.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

You mentioned that your friend is an apprentishipping in a profession. I have found in my case that some, but not lots of education is useful, I too entered the workforce late in life since I was in full-time service during my youth.

Recommendation: See if there is a trade/training for two years that will establish your friend in a stable organization

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Besides the monetary considerations of education, another--and to my mind more important--one is this: people should do what they want to do with their life. How much is that worth? I think it's priceless.

As I mentioned, when I became a dubbie in my twenties, I was talked into being a swimming pool cleaner so I could spend more time in the ministry.

I did that for about two years. Although I have nothing against that particular profession (it's an honest living) it was clearly not for me.

Every time I netted leaves or vacuumed pool, cleaned a filter or checked the chemicals, I kept thinking: You Can Live Forever on Paradise Earth ... and Spend Eternity Cleaning Other People's Pools!

Ahhhhhh! Shoot me now!

Education isn't for everyone. But for the JW cult to forbid people the opportunity to live their own life and pursue their own dreams is just wrong. It's a kind of stealing; they steal people's lives and livelihood. They steal opportunities and futures. It's just wrong.

Let's review: It's a cult!

-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit