The Teenage Years - Brian is Gettin' Out of Dubdom! Part FOUR

by Funchback 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Funchback
    Funchback

Part I: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/58849/1.ashx

Part II: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/58890/1.ashx

Part III: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/58975/1.ashx

Hi, all. Thanks for keeping up, and having patience with, my experience. This was originally posted on 3/27/2002.

---------------------------------------

For my first 9 years of life, I never experienced the death of a loved one. I also never experienced the birth of a sibling. However, both would come within days of each other. (I must say that my mom's dad died during my very early years but I don't recall the details).

My grandfather (my dad's dad) was dying from Prostate cancer and my mother was about to give birth. My baby brother was born on January 26, 1980 and my grandfather died within a couple of days after Baby Bro's birth. As much as I adored my grandfather, I never shed a tear for him. I don't know why. That's just the way it is.

One year later, my aunt died of Ovarian cancer at the young age of 34. Her memorial was held in a 4-H Club building. An elder from my first Congregation gave the talk even though my aunt was not a JW and she wasn't even studying. My mom asked him to give the talk. I guess this shows how much my mom was progressing as a JW. I wish I could give you the details of his outline but I don't remember them.

Is That a Hair On My Chin?

Here is a summation of my life up until I hit puberty: I had...Big, curly hair. Wide open green eyes. Lots of schoolyard fights. Older sister, older brother, younger brother. Intimidating dad. Loving mom. JW friends. Non-JW friends. I never had a girlfriend. I never even kissed a girl. I got hit on by a JW boy named Chris. Go figure...

Then, the Summer of 1983 arrived. I graduated from the 8th grade. The Sixers won the NBA Championship. I grew a hair on my chin. And I had my first kiss. There was a girl who lived across the street from me. I had known her all my life. It was a beautiful Summer evening and the sun was setting. We were hiding behind a big tree in front of my house and we kissed. She was no prize in the 'looks' department, but neither was I. It felt like it lasted 5 minutes when it probably only lasted 10 seconds. I was becoming a man.

I'm a JW. No, I'm Not. Yes, I Am...

Here I am, a teenager. I will begin going to high school in the Fall of 1983. Girls are beginning to notice me. I have so many so-called worldly friends. Now isn't the time to get baptized. Or is it? See, the JW's used to preach that you must be baptized in order to survive Armageddon. This Great War was supposed to be coming any day now. Crap! I don't wanna die! I better think seriously about getting baptized.

In 1982, my sister (known on this board as 'Nikita') was baptized (I think that is the year she got baptized. Maybe it was 1983). In 1983, my mom was baptized (I clearly remember because she had a big towel that had the word 'DISCO' on it. Up close, the towel just looked like it had a design on it. However, from the stadium seats, that towel said, 'DISCO'!!! We were laughing at my mom as she was walking to the pool! LOL!)

Anyway, now my mom and sister are baptized and I've already studied My Book of Bible Stories and the Youth book. Should I also get baptized? My older brother was in college in another state. The 'truth' hadn't yet set in his heart. Then, I found out that badwillie and two other guys from my congregation were going to get baptized at the District Convention in 1984. That was what made up my mind. I got baptized, not because I felt like I wanted to dedicate my life to Jehovah, but rather because I didn't want to die at Armageddon AND my friends were getting baptized. Fear and pressure were the only factors involved in this major decision.

I did it. I got baptized. It poured rain that day AND the convention was being held in an outdoor horse racetrack! Sigh...
    Now, I could rest easy. Jehovah won't destroy me at Armageddon now...as long as I don't sin. Crap! I'm going through puberty and my hormones are raging. I'm becoming quite handsome (so I was told...hahahahaha!) and I loved girls. I am now in high school and I have a 'worldly' girlfriend and I'm baptized. Talk about dilema's! What's a boy to do?

No, I'm NOT a JW...

1984/1985, my mom and my sister drift away from being JW's. I reasoned, 'If they're not going to go, I'm not going to , either!'. By the time the Summer of 1985 comes, we had all stopped going. My pioneer sister is now an inactive JW young adult dating young, 'worldly' men. My mom is participating in holiday celebrations. All of these changes within three years of all of us getting baptized. How? Why? It's just the way it is.

Let The Partying Begin!

My teenage life revolved around girls, partying, hanging out, and having fun! I even hung out with Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff. They used to MC and DJ all the parties that were held at Central High School in Philly. I would meet a girl at a party and we would be kissing right there in the middle of the dance floor. Two strangers who were bold. This happened quite frequently. (Now, the women would probably run away!!!)

I would have a steady girlfriend usually all the time. Even though this was the case, I had a female friend who was one of my best friends. Strangely, even though this friend had a boyfriend and I had a girlfriend, we would get together nearly every weekend and 'make out'. No guilt was involved. We had that kind of relationship. I'm still in contact with her to this very day (although we have our emotions under control, now!). There is a reason why I'm sharing all of this with you. LURKERS, take note...

My Second Negative JW Experience...

Coming very SOON!

• Nikita
    Nikita

Hey Brian!

In 1982, my sister (known on this board as 'Nikita') was baptized (I think that is the year she got baptized. Maybe it was 1983). In 1983, my mom was baptized (I clearly remember because she had a big towel that had the word 'DISCO' on it. Up close, the towel just looked like it had a design on it. However, from the stadium seats, that towel said, 'DISCO'!!! We were laughing at my mom as she was walking to the pool! LOL!)

Mom & I were baptized together-at The Vet-it was 1983. I was graduating from Girls' High but decided I wanted to be at the DC instead! The disoc towel is too funny-I wonder where those baptism pictures are we had? I'll have to look through my photos some time!

The Sixers won the NBA Championship.

Ahh, those were the good old days!

My teenage life revolved around girls, partying, hanging out, and having fun! I even hung out with Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff. They used to MC and DJ all the parties that were held at Central High School in Philly.

Lucky you!!

1984/1985, my mom and my sister drift away from being JW's. I reasoned, 'If they're not going to go, I'm not going to , either!'.

I can remember a talk prior to my baptism about how most people are tempted by Satan to quit the "truth" within a year of being baptized. (something like that) I remember thinking -"NOT me!"

Love ya!

Leslie

• Funchback
    Funchback

Boy! 31 reads and only one response. I guess there really ARE lurkers out there!

Nikita... Thanks for the clarification. I can't wait until you post YOUR story!

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hey Brian! Thanks again for taking the time to type all this out. Your teenage years sound quite a bit like mine.

Keep up the good work!

~Aztec

• Nikita
    Nikita

Hey Brian, here's a picture from those teenage years!

Aztec, I like your new avatar!

Nikita

• happyout
    happyout

Great story, keep it coming.

Happyout

bttt

• Disheartened
    Disheartened

Interesting story! I look forward to part 5!

• Aztec
    Aztec

Nikita, thanks and thanks also for the pic of you and your brother! BTTT

~Aztec

• Funchback
    Funchback

Thanks you all!

• shamus
    shamus

Wow Brian, Will Smith? Now I got that song in my head... from the Prince Of Bel-Air!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit