How long can this cult remain with only kids becoming members?

by Crazyguy 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hybridous
    hybridous

Quote: 'The increased details on what is involved in shunning disfellowshipped persons suggests that the rank and file are still not fully getting what is required of them.'

Hi Steve, when you say 'not fully getting', do you mean innocent oversight in not understanding official policy/doctrine, or perhaps in an intentional, passive-aggressive rebellious kind of way?

I ask because sometimes I can see certain lines and boundaries being tested within the family, that would've never been dared in previous years. Who knows, maybe the summer assemblies will reign them in, again...

• Absolutesbeginners
    Absolutesbeginners

Not long i think .

Because nowadays kids are smarter ( in the way " more difficult to fool " ) and faster to get when something "smell wrong" ...

And if you put a "tablet" in young hands its very easy to go from jw.org to jwfacts.com........ no ?

I wish i had one 25 years ago ...and all the links we have now..... ; )

I would have not gone to the swimming pool for sure ; )

• steve2
    steve2

Hi Steve, when you say 'not fully getting', do you mean innocent oversight in not understanding official policy/doctrine, or perhaps in an intentional, passive-aggressive rebellious kind of way?

I think that a lot of JWs go along with the broad focus of the organization (because they are not inclined toward or do not know other worldviews), but they don't go near the detail of what's expected. So, it's not exactly intentional or passive-aggressive but more allowing themselves to not be as "strict" as they are required to be. I used to notice this tendency at social functions even with fellow JWs where you'd swear you were at a "worldly" get-together because people were having a good time and no one was talking about "spiritual" things. There's quite a disconnect among JWs - they don't even realize they're doing it but it reflects a dwindling "zeal" for following the organization to the letter.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I think that a lot of JWs go along with the broad focus of the organization (because they are not inclined toward or do not know other worldviews), but they don't go near the detail of what's expected. So, it's not exactly intentional or passive-aggressive but more allowing themselves to not be as "strict" as they are required to be. I used to notice this tendency at social functions even with fellow JWs where you'd swear you were at a "worldly" get-together because people were having a good time and no one was talking about "spiritual" things. There's quite a disconnect among JWs - they don't even realize they're doing it but it reflects a dwindling "zeal" for following the organization to the letter.

I haven't being to a JW social function in some time but things I have seen on here in some ways they have lightened up on practices that used to be labelled as "worldly" are now acceptable. For instance old Freddy Franz would be rolling in his grave to think they allow "worldly" music in a KH, like a video I watched on here some time ago.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Another thing to remember is a lot of parents are just plain wacko in one way or another on how they raise thier kids. Children figure out its wacko and want to get away from this unfair parenting. This causes more to leave because they equate the parental wackiness with the cult. In the hall I was last attending the older kids are running for the doors to get away.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter
    xjwsrock2 hours ago
    I heard recently an elder's wife complaining quite vocally that she hasn't had a "stable" bible study in years. She also said she prays to Jehovah for a bible study that is actually a "normal" person.

I found it hilarious myself. It just shows how the borg is only attracting social misfits looking for a community.

What is bothersome though is that they don't listen to themselves when they speak. What does it mean that only people with mental/emotional problems are attracted to your religion? I mean come on.......

Highlights are not correct. You are so right. After getting the Good Bye Have a Nice Life email from the "Elder" I researched the religion and then watched the first 8 broadcast. I was not at all impressed by a single one of the broadcast. One broadcast Jehovah will find a leak for a contractor when there are starving children -- Really!! The "Elder" had preached to me over and over about how the JWS are not into material things -- what are those rings and watches and those look like mighty fine suits -- just saying!! All that aside the content of the broadcast was very poor.

Then there are the other memorable broadcast from an outsider looking in:

Herd -- a woman's brain is smaller thus .... ( now I have always been a woman's advocate ) that went over like a lead balloon.

Toni the ......-- tight pant ( I am 65 and my kids like my tight jeans)

Toni -- marriage material MS or Elder -- sorry I read that book it is on line and the correct name for that one should be How to be the biggest baddest bully in town!! If I were looking for a hubby I sure don't want a bully.

Then you have liar liar pants on fire. Sorry don't remember who gave that jewel.

Oh, yes overlapping crap, now if that wasn't a wasted broadcast wait wait we didn't get it the first time so we came back and explained it again. Give it up.

I will sum up ALL of Caleb and Sofia videos put them ALL in the TRASH!! I have advocated for children my entire life those are some of the most emotional abuse I have ever seen. There is no way I would allow my grandchildren to see a single one of those.

Now you wonder why you have no one jumping at a Bible Study. The Internet, these broadcast, videos and cartoons are killing the WT.

Just one outsiders opinion, it should most definitely be a men's only club! No kids and no women allowed!!

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Skin, to answer your question, when I attended a few meetings back in February, there were two other women near my age who had returned after 20-30 years away. All of us were in the 55-70 age bracket.

I was going thru a marital separation and was very vulnerable. My mom convinced me to go back.

Sister #2 was back after being gone many years. She was discouraged already, and sighed, "Well, where else do we go?"

Sister #3 was about 70 years old. Her husband had just passed away, and she was a lonely and vulnerable widow lady. She said she'd been away for 35 years, but was looking for meaning, so she came back to the Hall. She was really on board with her tablet and clicking the links to the scriptures during the clam. I really liked her. Sadly, I couldn't tell her why I quit coming because she'd be obligated to report it to the elders. I'd have liked to stay friends with her, but I couldn't tell her the truth.

I don't know about the other two, but I didn't stay long. It was the same old baloney as I left, no, even worse. After the life crisis passes, I suspect the fog clears and the "returning ones" probably drift away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit