Things Learned Along the Way

by blondie 431 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ahahaha ohohohoh my sides ache......

• blondie
    blondie

If you have a job without aggravations, you don't have a job.
    - Malcolm Forbes

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

He who goes to bed with an itchy butt, wakes up with a stinky finger.

- Confucious

• blondie
    blondie

POLITICS FROM SEVERAL VIEWS

QUOTATION: Politics are now nothing more than means of rising in the world. With this sole view do men engage in politics, and their whole conduct proceeds upon it.
    ATTRIBUTION: Samuel Johnson (1709?1784), British author, lexicographer. Quoted in James Boswell, Life of Samuel Johnson, April 17, 1775 entry (1791).

QUOTATION:Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.
    ATTRIBUTION:

Mao Zedong (1893?1976), Chinese founder of the People?s Republic of China. Lecture, May 1938. ?On Protracted War,? Selected Works, vol. 2 (1965).

QUOTATION:Politics are such a torment that I would advise every one I love not to mix with them.
    ATTRIBUTION:Thomas Jefferson (1743?1826), U.S. president. Letter, February 11, 1800, to his daughter, Martha Jefferson Randolph. The Family Letters of Thomas Jefferson, p. 184, eds. E.M. Betts and J.A. Bear, Jr. (1966).

QUOTATION:All politics takes place on a slippery slope. The most important four words in politics are ?up to a point.?
    ATTRIBUTION:

George F. Will (b. 1941), U.S. political columnist. Statecraft as Soulcraft: What Government Does, ch. 4 (1984).

QUOTATION:

Politics will eventually be replaced by imagery. The politician will be only too happy to abdicate in favor of his image, because the image will be much more powerful than he could ever be.
    ATTRIBUTION:

Marshall McLuhan (1911?1980), Canadian communications theorist. Quoted in Maclean?s (Toronto, June 1971).

QUOTATION:

In politics if you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.
    ATTRIBUTION:Margaret Thatcher (b. 1925), British Conservative politician, prime minister. People (New York, Sept. 15, 1975).
  • blondie
    blondie
    I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.

Dave Barry (1947 - )
    A man's respect for law and order exists in precise relationship to the size of his paycheck.

Adam Clayton Powell Jr. (1908 - 1972), "Keep the Faith, Baby!", 1967
    For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.

Nelson Mandela (1918 - )
  • blondie
    blondie

I never think of the future - it comes soon enough. Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

The future is much like the present, only longer. Dan Quisenberry

The future, according to some scientists, will be exactly like the past, only far more expensive. John Sladek

The future will be better tomorrow. Dan Quayle (1947 - )

• blondie
    blondie

I listen to an online bluegrass radio station. Of course, there are some gospel tunes. Being raised a JW more or less, my knowledge of hymns is limited to Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art.

Well, this was the one that caught my attention. It helps me get a better perspective of other people's beliefs.

Step Into The Water

O step into the water
      wade out a little bit deeper
      wet your feet in the water of his blood
      O step into the water
      come join angels singing
      praises to the lamb of God

1. It's time we the people
      stand up for what is right
      it's time we squared our shoulders back
      and raised our swords to fight
      for the Bible is my weapon
      and the Spirit is my shield
      the church needs more members
      to be workers in the field

O step into the water
      O step into the water
      come join angels singing

2. There's victory for the Christian
      who walks the narrow way
      there's been a prize appointed
      for the soul who does not stray
      O I want to live for Jesus
      and be all that I should be
      so that I can rest with him forever
      and live eternally

O step into the water
      O step into the water
      come join angels singing

repeat

• blondie
    blondie

Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place. Abigail Van Buren (1918 - ),

Wisdom is know what to do next; virtue is doing it. David Starr Jordan (1851 - 1931), American naturalist

Tis sometimes the height of wisdom to feign stupidity. Cato the Elder (234 BC - 149 BC)

• blondie
    blondie
    News --> Entertainment

Prince advises aspiring musicians to dump music for spirituality
    Washington | September 02, 2004 3:18:00 PM IST
    Rock star Prince has advised youngsters hoping to follow in his footsteps to stay out of the music industry and embark on a more spiritual life instead.

The 'Purple Rain' star, who became a Jehovah's Witness four years ago, has now advised young aspiring musicians to steer clear of the system.

"Stay out of the music industry, stay out of the system. Be revolutionary," rate the music quoted Prince as saying.

"Some of these young kids say they want to follow me. Well, if you do, then get your spiritual life together if you want your relationships to go right, and it will happen," he added. (ANI)

http://www.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=46981&cat=Entertainment

• blondie
    blondie

Trying to find quotes on debate, this popped up:

Get this (economic plan) passed. Later on, we can all debate it.
    altPresident George Bush, to New Hampshire legislators

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    -Hubert Humphrey

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding."
    -Louis D. Brandeis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit