Things Learned Along the Way

by blondie 431 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Amy Tan:

Whenever I'm with my mother, I feel as though I have to spend the whole time avoiding land mines.

The Kitchen God's Wife

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis:

If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much.

Michael Levine:

Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.

• blondie
    blondie

Richard Needham:

Strong people make as many mistakes as weak people. Difference is that strong people admit their mistakes, laugh at them, learn from them. That is how they become strong.

John Powell:

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

One of my favorites:

?It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.?
    ~ Teddy Roosevelt

• blondie
    blondie

A good one, nina. It is easy to point out what is wrong; the real challenge is getting into the mix and being part of the solution.

Shared with me today

A man had finished reading a book about being the "man of the house". By the time he reached his house, he stormed into the house, walked directly up to his wife. pointed a finger in her face and said, "From now on, I want you to know that I am the man of this house, and my word is law! I want you to prepare me a gourmet meal tonight, and when I'm finished eating my meal, I expect a sumptuous dessert. Then, you're going to draw me my bath so I can relax. And, when I'm finished with my bath, guess who's going to dress me and comb my hair?"

"The funeral director," said his wife.

• blondie
    blondie

Emily Dickinson:

My life closed twice before its close;
    It yet remains to see
    If Immortality unveil
    A third event to me,
    So huge, so hopeless to conceive,
    As these that twice befell.
    Parting is all we know of heaven,
    And all we need of hell.

Pierre Auguste Renoir:

The pain passes, but the beauty remains.

Dale Carnegie:

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

• bebu
    bebu
    "The funeral director," said his wife.

LOL! Yep, I would agree.

Thanks for keeping the thread going, Blondie.

bebu

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, bebu. I have collected quite a few over the years. Some resonate more on certain days. Blondie

• blondie
  • blondie
    blondie

Are JWs penguins?

• nilfun
    nilfun

When I'm not thanked at all I'm thanked enough. ~ Henry Fielding

Forget injuries; never forget kindness. ~ K'ung Fu-tzu

He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words. ~ Elbert Hubbard

A witty saying proves nothing. ~ Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit