Are you planning to see....

by Flowerpetal 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Mel Gibson's new movie about Jesus' cruixifiction?

• happyout
    happyout

Actually I was until I found out it was all in Latin. I may be low class for saying this, but movies with subtitles just kinda bug me. I go to movies for mindless entertainment, not for deep meaningful stuff.

Happyout

ps Are you planning to go?

• Loris
    Loris

What!!! It's in Latin? Why in the world would they do that? Jesus didn't speak Latin. If they were going for accurate history it would have been a mixture of Greek and Hebrew.

That reminds me of a FS experience. I had given my carefully rehearsed presentation. It must have been in December because it involved a NWT Bible. The redneck, toothless householder was not impressed with a modern language Bible. He said that he would only read the King James Bible because that is the language that Jesus spoke. And if it was good enough for Jesus it was good enough for him.

I'll bet a lot of ignorant people believe that Jesus spoke Latin because that is the official language of the Catholic Church.

People are just too funny.

Loris

• Dawn
    Dawn

It's not in latin - it's a form of Arabic that was spoken in Jerusalem during the time of Jesus' life. I think it's called Aramaic?? Can't remember now....

I plan to see it.......if it's ever released. Did anyone here see the movie clip on it? It's definately graphic - while I plan to see it I won't let my children see it - too bloody.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

No desire to see it.

Are there subtitles now? I read an article a while ago that there were no subtitles, but that you could tell what was going on through the emotion. No I am not kidding. In that article, just a couple months ago published in EW (Hey it's the only magazine in our breakroom at work) that they also didn't have a distributor yet. (Mel bankrolled the movie himself).

But test audiences weren't crazy about it so they wanted subtitles.

Also theological experts weren't crazy about it and some of them even felt it was totally anti-semetic and that Mel's father was a known anti-semite.

Who knows. All I know is, I am not going. It just doesn't sound good to me. It sounds like a proect of love, and like so many illigetimate children, they end up being a burden on society. (by the way folks, that was a joke...please check your bloodpressure and resume posting.)

• Englishman
    Englishman

I saw this clip a while back. Heavy stuff:http://www.passion-movie.com/english/trailer.html

Englishman.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

The Vatican endorsed it today...maybe they will bankroll the distribution.

I'll wait for the DVD version....

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Yes, I'm going to see it. I don't like graphic movies but It looks historically accurate and I love Mel Gibson's directing style. - V Sky

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Yes, I'm going to see it too. I managed to see Life is Beautiful with subtitles--so if this one is subtitled too, I'll get thru it.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20030919/D7TL4MF00.html

Cardinal Praises Gibson's 'The Passion'

Sep 18, 8:18 PM (ET)

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Mel Gibson's film "The Passion" has won another endorsement, with a top cardinal rejecting suggestions the movie may offend Jewish sensibilities and promote anti-Semitism.

"Anti-Semitism, like all forms of racism, distorts the truth by putting an entire race in a bad light. This film does nothing of the kind," Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos said in Thursday's La Stampa newspaper.

Many conservative Christians say the upcoming film powerfully depicts the last 12 hours of Jesus' life. But Jewish leaders say it suggests Jews were responsible for the death of Christ, which could trigger anti-Semitic attacks.

The Roman Catholic Church formally rejected Jewish culpability in Christ's death nearly 40 years ago.

Hoyos, a Colombian, is prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy and heads a Vatican commission that's trying to bring ultraconservatives back to the church. Gibson is a member of an ultraconservative Catholic movement.

"The Passion" is scheduled for release in the spring. Gibson, who directed and co-wrote the film, has defended it as faithful to the Gospels and said it's intended to "inspire, not offend."

The cardinal told La Stampa he saw an unfinished version of the film that Gibson brought to Rome recently.

"I felt moments of deep spiritual intimacy with Jesus Christ," Hoyos said.

U.S. Archbishop John P. Foley, who heads the Vatican's social-communications office, told The Associated Press last week he hoped to show the film in the Vatican, and doubted that criticisms of the film were valid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit