Has The Internet REALLY Hurt Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 96 Replies latest jw friends

• Sweet Sally
    Sweet Sally

jgnat:

i have no intention of getting in a peeing contest with you about my personal beliefs. why are you so hung up on what someone else believes? the topic here is about whether the net will hurt the witnesses, not what someone's religious affiliation is.

BluesBrother:

you DID have issues before you started searching the net, which IS my point.

Sal

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Re: Has The Internet REALLY Hurt Jehovah's Witnesses?

Why would there be so many talks and so many KM inserts and magazine articles about the Internet if it was not hurting -- of course it is affecting the WTBTS -- at the Protestant reformation the printing press (recently invented) hurt the Roman Catholic Church because information spread a whole lot faster -- now the minute there is anything nasty such as paedophile/UN Scandal et al -- it is around the world instantly - an even if a loyal JW does not see it a lurker will and that info gets around the congregations -- I love the internet -- freedom of information and thought -- at one time you had to approach a book publisher to get your thoughts in print -- now no longer -- any one with a PC can get their thoughts across in print/ LONG LIVE THE INTERNET - and may it cause change in Brooklyn

• jgnat
    jgnat

If we can't reach a common foundation, there can be no dialogue. Continue to give your opinions if you like, but for me, they do not stand up to scrutiny.

• Sweet Sally
    Sweet Sally

jgnat:

well, i'll sure have trouble sleeping tonight knowing my humble opinions do not stand up to your scrutiny.

Sal

• Sweet Sally
    Sweet Sally

jws:

i don't agree that inadvertently some JWs will be led astray by other JWs checking the net. only time will tell but i'm sure the only ones searching these sites are ones on the fringes anyway.

your other point that JWs have been here defending JWs and are now exjws only tells me that they weren't true JWs to start with or they wouldn't have been here in the first place.

if Simon started out this site as a JW, maybe he could shed some light on the topic.

Sal

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I don't really understand what your perspective is Sweet Sally? Are or where you a JW?

Most everyone here was one at one time. I was, and the internet certainly played a huge role in getting me out. I was on a real witness forum, administrating it in fact, and doing my damnedest to keep apostates out, while still allowing deep discussion (an impossible task, btw, lol... if one thinks deeply, one doesn't stay a JW).

To say that all who come to the internet "DID have issues" before starting their search on the net, is a bit meaningless, imo.

ALL witnesses have issues, some have far fewer than others, but then again, a witness with almost no issues, but a natural lack of fear and a healthy dose of inquisitiveness, might find the backstory on the WT long before another witness who might be beat down and full of issues... but also tends to follow instructions to a T. A person might not be looking to solve any issues, but rather just be overconfident in their faith in the organization; I'm aware of many apostates who started out by trying to "slay" apostates in argumentation. Technically, they may not have been following the instructions of the GB, but they certainly didn't do it because they had "issues".

• Odrade
    Odrade

Sally, I believed 100% in the doctrine. I only came here because my husband stumbled on some stuff on an unrelated internet site. We were dumbfounded to find evidence that we were involved in a cult. If it hadn't been for the internet, I would still have been believing 100%, and feeling guilty for not doing enough in "Jehovah's service." So count two more people who were NOT "on their way out already anyways, " who found their way out as a direct result of information on the internet.

and Thank you Simon and all others who use the internet to help free us 100% true believers from lies and guilt.

Odrade

incidentally, here is the site:

www.religioustolerance.org

he was looking for information on cults, concerning another cult, and discovered that JWs fit in every respect the definition given.

Knowledge is Freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit