Sexist Watchtower quote makes me so angry

by Phoebe 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

John Cedars latest Youtube video refers to last weekend's WT study article which some have referred to on another thread but I am truly outraged at the continuing misogynist attitude toward women. Not only did that study article say if women have a family to care for it will stop them gossiping or meddling into other people's affairs, Lloyd shares on his video a talk by Sam Herd from when he was a C.O in 1971. (I hope he has since changed his opinion!)

Apparently, not only do women have a smaller brain and can't make decisions because we're too emotional, if we do think we can do a job as good as an elder we are borderline homosexual.

I have told my husband this morning that I've found out I'm gay...and apparently, so was my mother because she was the accounts servant back in the day (my day was really the accounts servant but he didn't have a clue so mum did them and just gave them to dad to read out) So since both of us knew we could do a job as good as any elder that's us out of the closet.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi Phoebe

See my post here - and note it was downvoted:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5635436804308992/_post/6489466623492096

See another of my posts here - and note it was downvoted twice:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5969347224797184/_post/4919861631254528

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Hi darkspliver.

Seriously? You really think that is a fair comparison? Aren't you swatting at a mosquito when Phoebe is talking about the shark tank??

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Backward thinking is it not but then again the WTS's misogynistic attitude toward woman comes from the ancient Hebrew social perception of woman, always in subjection to men, chattel bought and owned, closely related to being a slave in their culture.

Religion many times is about men striving toward self empowerment and money

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

OrphanCrow: Seriously? You really think that is a fair comparison?

It's not a like-for-like - I didn't say it was.

sexism is something that builds up from small beginnings.

believing that it is ok to throw in the 'sorry, it must be your time of the month' when somebody doesn't agree with you, is just one of those 'small beginnings'.

I thought the OP's comment was interesting:

I have told my husband this morning that I've found out I'm gay

The acronym is LBGT - each letter stands for something.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    believing that it is ok to throw in the 'sorry, it must be your time of the month' when somebody doesn't agree with you, is just one of those 'small beginnings'.

bullshit

That is like saying it is like a big man throwing rocks at a little girl and then calling foul when she throws a handful of sand back

boo hoo

Or like they guy who wants mommy to look at his bandaid when she is lying in bed with last stage cancer

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I wish I knew someone who could get this nonsense to the media. I would love to let the public know how sexist this cult is.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

@Phoebe=> I like that you posted this John Cedar's most recent video. Excellent choice of topic on your part!

I can't believe that the BORG would state that single sisters, due to the fact that they are not married and bearing children would classify them as "gossipers and busybodies". A great number of people (male and female, young and old, regardless of race, financial status, geographical location--plus longevity in the BORG) gossip and talk about other people and their lifestyles (be it public or private). To categorize women as such is definitely misogynistic/sexist!

Also, the concern in the video is how these comments--though personal on the part of the GB, their Helpers and the Writing Committee--would affect the brothers' thoughts towards the sisters in the BORG. This may motivate ones with emotionally and mentally problems to have disrespect for sisters--on a verbal and, hopefully not, physically level. Even married brothers may feel that they can treat the single sisters in any way they so do feel (No true/Christ-like love here!).

If there is going to be an expose of in any shape/form/fashion about the BORG, I feel that this subject should included alongside the blood ban, child abuse, shunning, etc.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHOEBE:

These idiots in the religion forgot about Proverbs' 31: "Capable Wife".

Anybody who bothers to read this account will see that those women were very capable and PRIZED for their brains! Apparently it is not so today in certain religions. Is it something in the water?

Too bad about the emasculated fool men in the Witness religion who can only be happy or feel like a "man" if a woman is broken down and abased to rubble!

HIDDLES WIFE:

Back in the day I met one or two that tended to be verbally abusive. Unfortunately, the religion feeds right into their mindset. Glad I'm not there because not only would I tell them off, they'd get kicked you-know-where. Wouldn't care about being DFd or any other labels.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Apparently, not only do women have a smaller brain and can't make decisions because we're too emotional, if we do think we can do a job as good as an elder we are borderline homosexual.

JWs are the most sexist people I have ever met. All that trash about women being the first mate to the husband's steering the family ship because they're not biologically made to cope with running a family. How the heck do they think women run businesses and even countries?

That 'family' book used to make me spit. 'If he's cross when he gets home and dinner isn't ready calm him down and get him a drink of juice'. Get your own bloody drink, I've had a hell of a day at work, then I had to pick up our child from the childminders and now I'm making dinner. Get me a drink while you're at it. Make it a red wine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit