Has any Witness prophesies ever came true ?

by Singing Man 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

When I look back in retrospect, I guess I have been, at least questioning things in my mind, that the society has taught over the years. Like the second time we studied the Revelation book, and the dates---1914 and 1919 when Jesus came to the "spiritual temple" to cleanse it, etc., etc. I started thinking then, does Jehovah really care about dates and who did what and when??? And HOW DO (gb) THEY KNOW?especially since a lot of this stuff supposedly happened invisibly, how can you put a date to it????

• Satanus
    Satanus

here are some quotes of russell on 1914:

The Battle of the great day of God Almighty' (Revelation 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced
    -- Studies in the Scriptures, vol. 2, p. 101 1911 edition.

Be not surprised, then, when in subsequent chapters we present proofs that the setting up of the Kingdom of God is already begun, that it is pointed out in prophecy as due to begin the exercise of power in A.D. 1878, and that the "battle of the great day of God Almighty" (`Rev. 16:14`), which will end in A.D. 1915, with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced.
    -- The Time is At Hand, page 101, 1915 edition.

This calculation shows A.D. 1915 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years B.C. plus 1915 years A.D. equals 3457 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1914 will be the beginning of the time of trouble such as was not since there was a nation--no, nor ever shall be afterward.
    -- Studies in the Scriptures, vol. 3, "Thy Kingdom Come," p. 342).

We see no reason for changing the figures--nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble.
    7/15/1894 Zion's Watch Tower [pp. 226]"CAN IT BE DELAYED UNTIL 1914?

See? Both NN and SS are correct, but russel, he had no clue.

SS

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

"My dad is pretty well read and he says none have come true. The last one I remember was the change in generation which appeared in that Awake. The article went on to say that the end was certainly to come before the end of the century. Oops" When I left Bethel back in 1988 there was an article that said that the preaching work would be completed in the 20th century. Of course, all JWs know that that statement strongly implies that the end was going to come before the end of the 20th century. This article had come out about the time I had just returned from Bethel. A JW friend of mine invited me over to his house and began asking me all kinds of questions about this article and that comment about the work being completed in the 20th century. That article created quite a stir in my congregation. I told my friend that I had no idea how or why they wrote that. (I was on my way out of the JWs at the time so I had to be careful what I said.) In any case, that is one prophecy that never came true and if you go back and look at the Watchtower CD ROM version of this article you will notice that they take the comment about the preaching work being completed in the 20th century out of the article. In any case here is a scan of the paper version of the article: http://www.jwfiles.com/scans/WT1-1-89p12.htm Jeff S.

• rocketman
    rocketman

The whole 1914 thing has turned out to be like a piece of fabric. One by one, you pull away strings, and soon enough, you've got just a thread left. The teachings connected with 1914 have one by one proven false, and now that whole doctrine hangs by a thread.

• rocketman
    rocketman

One so-called prophecy fulfilled was in connection with the post-WWII period. As already mentioned they JFR predicted the rise of the League Of Nations. Also, he said a 'period of peace' would ensue following the War. Of course, all wars are followed by a period of peace. I guess many jws were expecting Armageddon right on the coattails of WWII.

• barbar
    barbar

It is really worrying that I can't think of a single prophesy that came true. What about the rise of the united nations after the league of nations fell.

The law of averages would suggest that they got at least one right, even accidentally.

• barbar
    barbar

Were we all that stupid to really belive it!!!!!!!!

How could i have belived for 30 years, when nothing came true?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Don't they have a song? We're Jehovah's Witnesses . . . . Our's is the God of true prophecy, What he foretells comes to be.

What was that all about?

• DJ
    DJ

LOL@garybuss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit