Do you regret ever getting baptized

by ikhandi 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Do you regret ever getting baptized

Yes, I only done it because I needed it to be socially acceptable.

How do you feel about breaking your vow to serve god faithfully for the rest of your life?

I don't believe in god anymore, so I can't break a promise I made to someone who doesn't exist.

• shamus
    shamus

Of course I do....

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    How do you feel about breaking your vow to serve god faithfully for the rest of your life?

This question implies that you believe that there is some type of equality between serving God and serving the WT organization. Leaving the WT organization does not equate with a failure to serve God...quite the contrary. Most of the poeple I know who've been heavily exposed to the organization are more spiritual outside of it than they ever were on the inside.

And no...I don't regret it. It was only after that that the JWs I knew began to show how really controlling and corrupt they were. It was a godsend........the very catalyst for me deciding that I wanted nothing to do with them.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Yes

I said yes

I really mean yes

yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!

(gee...the more I look at that word the more it doesn't even look like a word)

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I did it to impress a girl I liked, who was also getting baptized at the same assembly.

What a pathetic reason....

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I got baptized when I did because my younger sister was getting baptized. I couldn't get baptized after her... that's just not right!

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Great topic! (I had to get that out first thing so I wouldn't forget by the end...;). Do I regret it, no, because in my experience I'm learning to LEARN from my past choices, bad or good. Do I think it sucks that while I was at the assembly about to be baptized (at 17 years) I wondered deep inside "what the hell am I doing here?"--yes. I also think it sucks that I knew myself well enough at 13 to not get baptized at 13 like the rest of my friends did. But, the worst part of it IMO, is that young people choose to baptize themselves into one faith or religion when there's an entire world of viewpoints and differing cultures and beliefs out there to be explored first. It seems somewhere along the way we lose our emerging sense of the world around us, and we get roped into a particular way of thinking without truly experiencing life first. Becky

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I was baptized on July 4, 1975 "because Armageddon was coming". I was told that it was the only way to ensure my survival. My first words when I came up out of the water were "I made it!"

Do I regret my baptism? Absolutely.....it was based on false pretense, lies, and deceit.

• proudassmonkey
    proudassmonkey

i regret it because i don't think at 13 i should have been able to make a decision like that. how could i know what my whole life meant? at 13 who knows what you're going to think tomorrow let alone for the rest of my life. i wish i had waited and in waiting never did it. but i can't change the past i can only correct the future. and i wonder if correcting the future would deal with getting my baptism nullified. i know that this topic has been brought up before but i am still wondering if that route is every successful.

melissa

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Yes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit