Any forum members being affected by Hurricane Isabelle..is everybody safe?

by Special K 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

quite an evacuation of coast line down in North Carolina.. everybody okay?

special k

• Special K
    Special K

Hey, could one of you computer whizes .. post the latest news on that?.. please.

special k

• rocketman
    rocketman

Here in PA we expect heavy rain and wind gusts to 60 mph. This one is shaping up to be somewhat like Floyd in 1999, though Floyd tracked more to the coast while Isabel appears to be headed inland once it makes landfall.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Here is a pic:

From hurricaneadvisories.com:

"Hurricane Isabel is moving N/NW at 9 Mph and winds are 110 Mph. A Hurricane Warning is in effect from Cape Fear North Carolina Northward to the Chincoteague, Virginia . A Hurricane Watch is in effect for Chesapeake Bay North of Smith Point and the Tidal Potomac . A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for Cape Fear Southward to Little River Inlet South Carolina. A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect from North of Chincoteague Virginia to Sandy Hook New Jersey and from South of Little River Inlet to South Santee South Carolina. Large Ocean Swells and dangerous Surf conditions are likely over portions of the Eastern Seaboard and the Islands of the Bahamas over the next few days."

Scary!!!!

~Aztec

• Special K
    Special K

Thanks Aztec.

Holy God.. that thing really looks BAD!!

Special k

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    Here in PA we expect heavy rain and wind gusts to 60 mph. This one is shaping up to be somewhat like Floyd in 1999, though Floyd tracked more to the coast while Isabel appears to be headed inland once it makes landfall.

Rocketman, I'm in PA, too. Were you around for Hurricane Agnes in 1972? I hope it's not a repeat of that disaster! I live in a high-rise, so should be able to weather the storm OK, but am concerned about my brand new car, which is parked underneath the building in underground parking. I hope this building has good drainage! My auto insurance policy does not cover "acts of God" (I don't think anyone's does.)

• maxwell
    maxwell

I live in DC. No danger like that faced by those living on the coast, but we are also being forecasted to have a lot of rain in a short period of time (3-6 inches within 48 hours) and wind ranging from 40-60 mph. I live in a mid-rise buidling. On the first level but above the lobby level so I'm not too concerned about flooding. Hopefully, we don't have problems with the drainage system handling all the rain. Only other problem I could see for me is if some part of the power system was damaged somewhere. I've never been this close to a hurricane. I remember calling my current boss for an interview in September 1999 and they were at that time in the middle of hurricane Floyd, the last hurricane to affect this area.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Dont worry. It's another sign of the end. Soon Jehovahs will kill everyone and we will no longer fear the devils hurricanes.

• Nikita
    Nikita

We in Western Maryland are in danger of flooding yet again. Here is the severe weather statement for us:

HURRICANE ISABEL IS FORECAST TO MAKE LANDFALL EARLY THURSDAY AFTERNOON ALONG THE NORTH CAROLINA COAST AND TRACK NORTH AND WEST ACROSS VIRGINIA... MARYLAND AND INTO PENNSYLVANIA LATE THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. THIS IS A LARGE STORM. THE CLOUDS WILL BEGIN TO OVERSPREAD THE REGION TONIGHT WITH THE RAIN MOVING IN THURSDAY AFTERNOON. THE STORM WILL QUICKLY MOVE NORTH WITH THE CHANCE OF RAIN ENDING FRIDAY NIGHT.

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES ACROSS THE PIEDMONT OF VIRGINIA AND MARYLAND AND 6 TO 10 INCHES ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VIRGINIA... MARYLAND AND EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS UP TO 12 INCHES OR MORE.

RAINFALL RATES OF SEVERAL INCHES PER HOUR ARE LIKELY IN THE HEAVIER SQUALLS AND COULD PRODUCE MODERATE TO MAJOR FLASH FLOODING OF STREAMS AND CREEKS AS WELL AS MUDSLIDES AND FLOODING OF LOW LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.

MODERATE TO MAJOR RIVER FLOODING IS ALSO POSSIBLE ALONG THE AREA RIVERS. BASED ON THE LATEST TRACK AND EXPECTED RAINFALL... MAJOR FLOODING IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE RAPPAHANNOCK BASIN WITH MODERATE TO MAJOR FLOODING ACROSS THE LOWER SHENANDOAH AND LOWER POTOMAC BASINS. SOME AREAS COULD SEE LEVELS SIMILAR TO THOSE WHICH OCCURRED WITH HURRICANE FRAN IN SEPTEMBER 1996. REMEMBER... THE THREAT OF RIVER FLOODING WILL CONTINUE AFTER ISABEL MOVES AWAY FROM THE AREA.

Nikita

• Special K
    Special K

I'm not sure .. but I think they have called a state of emergency..

with approximately 100,000 people being encouraged to leave the coast line.

The U.S. navy have also sent their ships all out of that area to calmer waters.

Thanks, for the news report post,, Nikita

special k

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit