How do I find a congregation?

by Happythoughts 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

Well Virginia, they may not teach that there is a Hell but they sure do teach about an Armageddon and they rub your nose in it as much as they can. You will go through your own hell just seeing in your minds eye your loved ones being killed off by an angry God who will stomp the nation in his wrath. Now if that don't scare you nothing will, you know they ought to make a scary movie of the J-Dub's Armageddon it would break the charts for scaring little kids and adults too. Oh incedently if you ever hint that you will go to heaven after your batised they will warn you that if you drink the cup of wine it will be to your own destruction if you reaally have not been invited by God, kind a like Indiana Jones and the last crusade" at the end of the movie.

• GotJesus
    GotJesus

Find a NONDENOMINATIONAL church with a preacher who only talks of the bible, & who will not embelish on the word.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Find a NONDENOMINATIONAL church with a preacher who only talks of the bible, & who will not embelish on the word.

"Non-Denominational"... is a denomination, dear one. And given the number of Bible "versions" and "reprints"... and their many, many inaccuracies (which is WHY there are so many versions)... would it truly matter whether the preacher embellished or not? The Bible... is not God's Word. John 1:1; 1:14: John 17:17; John 14:6; Revelation 19:13 I would, therefore, as a slave of Christ, tell you NOT to find a preacher... of ANY sort, denomination or no... but find... Christ. Since his throne is at the right hand of God... and God is not far off... and all we need do is grope for Him... then all we need do... is grope... for Christ. If we do... if we seek... ask... and knock... he... Christ... the Door... will open to us. God will draw us to him... and he will let himself be found. But you cannot find God or Christ... through any man. You find God... by going to... and through... Christ. And you find Christ... when drawn TO him... by God, as a result of your seeking God... out of clean heart. If we follow earthling man, however, we... as sheep... are subject to being misled. For many false prophets and many false christs exist... for that very purpose: to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. Again, I bid you peace. A slave of Christ, SJ

• PeaEye
    PeaEye

Hi Happythoughts,

You might have noticed that most everyone at this web site feels like they've been wronged for one reason or another and will jump to "prove" to you why they are absolutely right, sometimes with arguments that are often long and, at least to my feeble brain, rather tedious and disjointed. Click here for a recent good example:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/59134/1.ashx

Then again some merely tend to chide you for showing even the tiniest bit of interest in the JW's. Usually the meaning behind their comments is, "If you want to know something about the JW's, you must be stupid or at the minimum, uneducated. Look at all the "proof" we've posted here! My life was in shambles because of them. Do you know what they did to me? Why, they............... Only a moron could ignore all this."

Point is: Most here have a heavy axe to grind and it is oh so obvious in their posts, even though they may not realize it, though in some cases, they acknowledge it.

Could the similar things be said about the JW's? Maybe.

But wouldn't it be wise to at least give them a fair hearing. It's just my personal opinion, but I suggest being fair. Listen to both sides. Wanna read what's written here? Fine. Then listen to what the witnesses say and judge for yourself. Something mighty important hangs in the balance.

And, yes, you can almost always find them listed in either the White or Yellow Pages of your town.

PeaEye

PS: Just a personal note to throw into you're bag of information. I was contacted by one of the witnesses who came to my door in 1970, studied with them for about 2 years, and then was baptized in 1972, the only one of my extensive family to accept the witnesses teachings. I left the witnesses after about 8 years. Came back of my own volition about 11 years later. After examining the evidence from both inside the organization and from outside the organization, I am personally convinced that, while they have by no means been perfect, they are the true religion. But that's just one man's opinion. Like I said above, you'll have to judge for yourself.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    Are they really all that bad??

Yes they are! Consider the following;

• You will not be allowed to wear slacks (trousers/jeans etc.) in their Church.
    • Even if you became incredably learned and wise in their faith, you would not be allowed to teach from the platform because you are a woman.
    • If you gave a prayer and there was a man present, you would have to cover your head.
    • Oral sex is a sin against god
    • So is masturbation
    • Eve was pursuaded to eat fruit by a ventriloquist snake; next time you are giving birth reflect on the fact this is why god makes labour so much 'fun' for women.
    • There has been decades long complacency about child abuse within the JW's, as their internal church law is only applicable if there are TWO witneses to a sin, and they don't like taking internal problems to secular authorities as it is sheds a bad light on the 'Truth' (as they call it). This means even if there WERE suspicisons about someone, nothing normally ever happened.

... those are all genuine JW beliefs. They ARE that bad.

In my experience every church I have been to is terrible

Can we see a patterm forming? 8-)

Religion=terrible. Simple?

I want to continue to learn about God but I have not found that one true religion.

Questions;

1. What makes you think there is a god? Children assume that Santa is real 'cause that is how they are bought up. Most people believe in god for precisely the same reasons.
    2. If there is a god, what makes you think that god (who is meant to be all loving, right?) would make the one true religion something you had to find? Why would he make it difficult to serve him if he loves us?

The lack of a clear and obvious true religion indicates that either there isn't one, or that they are all a true religion, or that god is not as loving as the Bible (for example) makes him out to be as he's putting our eternal lives (supposedly) down to a mtter of where we were born. If the true religion is say, Southern Baptist, then that means people born in parts of the world where no one has ever heard of Southern Baptists will not be saved. That's not fair!

I like the fact that the JW's don't believe or teach the burning in hell bs.

They don't believe in a hell in the afterlife. To make up for it they make one for you on Earth.

And if hell is bs, what is heaven?

Remember, if life was like we wanted it to be, we would all live in Castles and our children would play in the woods with Unicorns free from any danger.

Life is not like that.

Even if we LIKE the idea of an immortal soul, a heaven, a loving father in the sky who will dry our tears and kiss all our boo-boos, that doesn't mean it is any more real than Castles for everyone and Unicorn playfriends.

If it is real, was has there neverevernevereverneverevernevereverneverever been any evidence to support its reality? We'd KNOW our kids were just having a wishful fantasy if they told us they believed we would live in a Castle and they would have Unicorn playfriends, as we can't see it happening anywhere, or any evidence of it ever having happened anywhere.

When someone sells us the 'adult version' of the same story, despite the fact, just as with Castles and Unicorns we can't see it happening anywhere, or any evidence of it ever having happened anywhere, somehow we often switch off the same commonsnse that tell us that when kids tell us storys like that its wishful thinking and an overactive imagination.

Be lucky. Be happy. But don't kid yourself. Once you realise what life really is you will be able to realise that the most important thing is what we do with our lives now, not nice dreams. God and heaven won;t fix your problems. You can, in the here and now, and savour how sweet life is when life is all you ever had, and is all you ever will have up till your dying day.

THEN?

Well, I see the little bit of me in my kids eyes, and in the minds of freinds and lovers who I touched someway in life being all the immortality I can hope for, and it suits me fine. No matter how MUCH I'd like to live forever in someway, I can't kid reality will change to suit my wishes.

Shelby

"Non-Denominational"... is a denomination, dear one. And given the number of Bible "versions" and "reprints"... and their many, many inaccuracies (which is WHY there are so many versions)... would it truly matter whether the preacher embellished or not?

Hey, Shelby, sometimes you say stuff that remind me you are in a different catagory to the other people who think they talk with god or are Jesus. That was one of those times.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Are they really all that bad??

Noone has mentioned the infamous "One Towel Rule." That's the one to watch out for. It's what pushed me over the edge.

***** Rub a Dub

• basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

My initial thoughts on this subject is: Why do you feel the need to be part of a "congregation"? Do you feel that this is absolutely neccessary?

Is there a possibility of finding the means of surviving without the predominant input of others philosiphies on the meaning of life?

Do you need other's approval of the way you personally choose to live your life?

Perhaps these issues need to be addressed before you seek out an alternative method of dealing with such...........That is my humble opinion.

Bay64me.

• Happythoughts
    Happythoughts

basics-for-me:

My initial thoughts on this subject is: Why do you feel the need to be part of a "congregation"? Do you feel that this is absolutely neccessary?

Need-no not really just wondering what it would be like to go to a meeting at one of these congregations. They would prob. toss me out the first time-with that said, I still would like to go- if not only to "just go". Neccessary-no, once again Just wondering what it is like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit