Revised NWT...cross references...Has anyone noticed....?

by 4thgen 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Just let me say, I hate the gray Bible. When I read the revision of Mal 3:10 and they included tithing, I almost vomited. Recently though, my invalid mother asked me to read to her and the only thing available was the gray Bible. So I picked a passage and read to her. I did notice that in the center of the Bible, there were very few cross references. The older NWT seemed to have many more.

I searched on this site for a discussion on the matter, but didn't seem to find a thread about this. Has anyone taken the time to compare the Bibles in this matter? I know they have changed to make it more mainstream and a Bible-for-Dummies, but what about all the removal of the cross reference threads?

• millie210
    millie210

I dont like what they have done with the references in the new Bible either.

For instance in Heb. 10:25 their used to be 4 references in the old red JW Bible.

Now there are (if I remember correctly) two.

One of the ones that got removed was from Matt.18:20 where Jesus said "Where two or more are gathered in my name..."

its pretty obvious that they want to discourage anyone from thinking they can do their own meeting or studying apart from the meetings organized through them.

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute
    Matthew 23: 36 is another one that the cross references were "abbreviated". Previously it crossed to Exodus 20: 5 where it speaks of, "fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation." The grey Bible has removed it entirely. Can't have the Bible contradicting what the GB say makes up a generation, now can we?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I noticed that a careful study of the Old NWT revealed many paths to TTATT. By following all the cross references ( exhausting 😵 ) you could see that JWism did not line up with the context of the scriptures, espescially the NT scriptures. It seemed that the WTBTS could not erase the message, even though the convoluted references were an attempt to do so.

The percentage of doubters within the WTBTS could be higher than we realize, or the WTBTS could be banking on all future growth coming from mostly illiterate persons; both biblically and perhaps literally illiterate?

Either way, the WTBTS went out their way to revise what was already touted as the best bible version ever translated. Now the RNWT is the really the best version ever because so many of the FDS were involved.

So were the FDS not involved in the NWT?? Couldn't Jeehoober make the best bible in the first go-around?

DD

• Perry
    Perry

In the 1984 edition, it has the "soul" of the widow's child coming back into him when he was resurrected by Elijah in 1 Kings 17: 21-22.

In the 2013 edition of the NWT, it says his "life" came back into him.

The Hebrew word here is "nephesh" or "soul" in English.

Somebody at WT home office did not like this childs' soul coming back into his body when he was resurrected. So, they just changed it.

But we all have a soul that is eternal, which was made in the image of our eternal creator. The Watchtower doesn't like this fact either because it begs the question of WHERE that soul will spend eternity.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Perry:

"In the 1984 edition, it has the "soul" of the widow's child coming back into him when he was resurrected by Elijah in 1 Kings 17: 21-22."

Which contradicts Samson 16:30 which, in this interlinear, transliterates into:

"...and-he-is-saying Samson she-shall-die soul-of-me with Philistines."

The Hebrew word for soul, nephesh, is used in both scriptures (The word "she" refers to the gender of nephesh.). Not a consistent use of the Hebrew word for soul.

• jw-verite
    jw-verite

Cross reference between 1 Thess 4:15-17 and Matthew 24:29-31 has also disappeared... To hide that the "parousia" is a future event and has not happened in 1914

• Hisclarkness
    Hisclarkness
    I'll never forget sitting at the hall during the live stream of the annual meeting when the RNWT was released. The spin was that the old version had all those pesky cross references that made the pages look too crowded so we got rid of some of them for you to make the pages look cleaner. I made an audible groan which prompted a glance from the brother sitting next to me because I knew instantly why they were really reducing the cross references. I still use the older NWT because it's a great way to show through all the cross references that much of JW doctrine is wrong and THEN show the RNWT and the lack of certain cross references to prove that it is not simply a matter of "waiting on jehovah" to bring "new light" but that there is clear scheming by men going on behind the scenes.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    But we all have a soul that is eternal, which was made in the image of our eternal creator. The Watchtower doesn't like this fact either because it begs the question of WHERE that soul will spend eternity.

Perry, I just wondered what your take on animals is? It's just that anyone who has been close to another species knows that they feel, smile, lie, love etc just like humans - what applies to one must apply to the other surely?

So sorry about your mum by the way🌹

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I know the "animal souls" question was for Perry, but I wonder about that as well. I know that Science shows zero evidence for a soul that lives on, but who knows?

I grew up with lots of different animals and believe me, they all had their own personality. They aren't dumb either. No chicken, or cow, or pig, or horse, or cat, or dog, or reptile is alike.

The WTBTS tries to define the life force of humans and animals in a cold, sterile way, in my opinion. They say the life force is just like a battery that can be swapped from one animal or human to the next. I disagree. I have two furry friends who share my home and they are both unique. I don't think you could just swap "batteries" and retain their personalities.

The WTBTS tries to get around this by saying God stores the "personalities" on his celestial hard drive. I call this Jehoogle Cloud as a joke. The Bible says that Jesus' soul went back to his father when he died, the "Bible Teach" book says that did not happen.

I suppose you would have to decide what a "soul" really is, and go from there. It's a fun discussion; like who would win in a fight, The Hulk or Superman?

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit