Bowling for Columbine

by drwtsn32 81 Replies latest social entertainment

• Xandria
    Xandria

Saw B.C. last night, found it to be very honest and provocative. I told my hubby that is it we are moving to canada.

X.

• amac
    amac

Have you read this thread or any of the links provided showing the DIShonesty of B for C? What about it makes you think it is honest?

• Xandria
    Xandria

When I sat down and watched the interaction between the public and how when the shootings happened they immediately began pointing fingers.. "Ohhh no" let it be far from anyone to really step up to the plate and say okay lets not point fingers here lets get proactive.

The American Public (majority) feeds on fear, media, and so forth. We have people who rather blame than deal. Then we see the ones who actually worked towards a solution. If it takes a film ( even one that sensationalizes some) to make people think .. then I feel that is accomplishing something more than the every day hiding your head in the sand b/s.

What I saw was a difference in world outlook. In Canada~ they have more of a community based culture. Compare it to here~ it makes one think what are we lacking and how can we make it better ?

I much rather focus on the message~ IS there a problem of Gun Violence in America ? Do we feed too much into the Media ? Does our system work ? and if we find something lacking then what are we going to do about it ? Are we going to sit here crying boo hoo or are we going to get people together and say what do we want for our children and how do we go about it so everyone benefits from it. I have learned dealing with our city, that if you don't roll up your sleeves and get to working. If not then nothing much will change.

You can feed on statistics until it comes out of you ears. The point of the matter is get your head out of the books of statistics and take a good hard look around. It is a problem that doesn't just affect one race, color or area. It is everyone~ and that is where we begin to fool ourselves. We tell ourselves or someone else will handle it or if I vote for XYZ they will handle it~ an that is not always the case. For the People, by the People.. only goes so far until the people get behind it and make it happen.

X.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"Are we going to sit here crying boo hoo or are we going to get people together and say what do we want for our children and how do we go about it so everyone benefits from it."

Oh, and you think this movie helped do this? Sounds like it made a lot of money for Moore. But I can see it doing little else.

• avishai
    avishai

I have'nt seen the movie. But..... I did have friends directly affected by the springfield OR killings, by kip kinkel.

I see another problem. I don't know if it was brought up in the movie.Yes, there is institutionalized violence in America. But I'm not talking about guns. I'm talking about bullying. As long as your a football player, wealthy, wrestler, etc (i.e bring attn. and revenue to the school) It's been my experience at many schools that teachers turn a blind eye to it. I am not excusing what these guys did. But getting your ass kicked on a daily basis at 14 by guys twice your size, & having teachers look the other way does it's damage. Imagine if it happened to you as an adult, at work, & everyone, boss, cops, etc. did'nt do anything? These two kids were apparently pushed around alot. Trust me, it sux, especially when your a kid. And this society as a whole accepts that kind of behavior.

• jelly
    jelly

Avi,

Dead on, that is a huge problem with the schools in America. Some teachers do more than turn a blind eye. Some teachers actually identify with the jocks because they were former athleates themselves. The have some animosity towards the 'weird' kids and actually take some part in the harrasment of students.

Terry

• avishai
    avishai

Jelly,

Bingo!!!!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I agree with XANDRIA … who should care’s that he lied? Did he kill anybody?… What should he Say … that the American “culture” is just deleted (nobody wants to hear that !!! he just make sure that you would at least be interested in "the message" – with him making money or not – who cares lots of people are making money on lies) so now it’s like we should “threw the baby with the bath” … I only care about the “principal message” the FIGURES and they TALK enough to figure out that there is a REAL PROBLEM

• Xandria
    Xandria

You can question if it all a lie ..or believe that it is. But the facts are we have a SERIOUS Problem with kids not being able to express themselves correctly and doing so in the only way they know how to get attention..acting out, being violent, harming themselves or others, etc.

You can stat something to death. But it doesn't change the facts that our children are dying due to violence. Do you think the stat's matter to a parent who lost thier son or daughter in Columbine ?

Yes, Micheal Moore made money on this. So do many other people who sensationalize the issues, write tell alls etc. I would rather someone make a movie than turn another blind eye to the situation. Everyone tip toes around the facts. Who gives a flying >_________________ insert word of choice here. If he made money on this or not. My concern is finding ways to deal with this.

X

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

I agree with Xan and Babyface, it doesn't matter if some things were distorted, what WASN'T distorted was the level of violence in the U.S. Xan and I can attest to that from personal experience, we lived in some serious ghettos in CA, and went through several drive-bys, etc. Just like kids that are bullied in school can act out and kill, so can kids who grow up defenseless in the ghettos, bullied by gangs, and, dare I say it, bullied by society. I think poverty has a lot to do with it. Your mom can't buy groceries, but you can get a gun anywhere, cheap or even free. There is a definite rage in the youth who grow up like we did, and where we did. The rage of being powerless. I don't have the answers to solving the violence, but I feel that part of it can come from uniting communities and closing the gap between the haves and the have nots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit