Bowling for Columbine

by drwtsn32 81 Replies latest social entertainment

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I just watched this documentary tonight and enjoyed it.

It's amazing to me the number of gun-related murders in the US... over 11,000 in one year. I don't remember the exact figure, but Canada, Japan, and Germany combined had less than 500 gun-related murders.

The documentary explores the possible reasons for this huge difference. Ideas that violent movies, video games, music, etc., are to blame seem ludicrous... those things exist in every country.

Do you think the amount of guns are the problem? Well, Canada has 7 million guns (population 30 million) and averages only 165 shooting deaths per year. It was interesting when Michael Moore asked a police officer in Windsor, Ontario, (across the river from Detroit) how many murders have taken place in the last few years. He said ONE... and the perp was from Detroit!

The conclusion Moore seemed to reach was that Americans simply live in fear. Could it be that simple?

• Aztec
    Aztec

I admit that I haven't seen it yet but, I love Michael Moore! I've read both "Downsize This" and "Stupid White Men". He went to the same high school as I did and the movie "Roger & Me" was about my hometown of Flint. Yeah, that's why I moved. Some people really hate him for pointing out their own ridiculousness but, he's funny as hell and very on target!

~Aztec

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I have not seen the movie yet, but have heard good things about it. Some have picked at it, saying that he has stretched a few things. If only 1/2 of what is in the movie is true, it gives a disturbing picture of life in America. I am american; I love the country, but it is crazy. A person does not realize how upside down the values here are until you go abroad; anywhere. After a trip to Mexico, you realize that we are quite materialistic, not in the WT sense, but just so obsessed with things, and the RIGHT things at that. After a trip to Europe, you realize that in America we are still puritanical, even though the tabs and the entertainment shows are obsessed with sex and the body. In Europe, nudity is no big deal, but violence is. In America, on TV no less, you can see someone killed, stabbed; you can see a corpse with it's throat cut, but to show a nipple is against the standards. That is truly backwards, and puritanical.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Moore's conclusions don't have to be 100% accurate for the data he uncovers to be frightening.

And while you have to feel sorry for Charlie Heston...it's still a ballsy move by Moore.

I don't think he really draws strong conclusions... except that the US is different in the gun-violence category and no one knows exactly why.

• patio34
    patio34

I just saw this movie this weekend. It was very good. I don't know if all the conclusions were correct, but it was a well-done movie and devoid of any polemics, imo.

It was amazing to watch the brother of one of the Oklahoma City bombers defend his right to "bear arms." Michael Moore said that doesn't say "guns." What if someone says that applies to nuclear arms?

The guy's really got a message. I'm also reading his book now coincidentally, Stupid White Men. It's equally hard-hitting.

Pat

• Swickley
    Swickley

It seemed to me that Moore's message was that we Americans live in constant fear, which, in effect, distorts our perception of reality. The reason we live in fear is that we are bombarded by stories of murder and mayhem approximately every 60 seconds on the Fox Nuisance channel, and other news media outlets. Look out (!!!) because killer bees and Nile Fever are coming to your neighborhood!!!

Stay inside and watch more TV and for god's sake be safe!

The "campaign" to keep us afraid has an important consequence: it keeps us "at home" where we can watch the endless parade of commercials on the tube. Of course, this keeps us informed of all the new products that we must have in order to: find true love, be a good parent, get a date, or have normal bowels.

Yep, that is the bottom line: stay home and watch TV -- you're only safe at home -- watch our commercials -- and buy our products. And, BTW, there is a killer around every corner. We have all been conditioned to believe these things to the point of paranoia.

This genius of a film maker, Michael Moore, sent out a great newsletter the other day talking about CLARK and urging him to run in 2004. If you havent read it, go to his website and check it out: "A Citizen's Appeal to a General in a Time of War (at Home)" at http://www.michaelmoore.com

• talesin
    talesin

Michael Moore exposes a lot of truth. Check out his award-winning movie "Roger and Me", about the plight of the Michigan auto workers. He is from Flint, MI, and his first flick was about his own people.

He also had a show on Fox around '96 called TV Nation (hilarious, satirical expose of corporate America), and has a new TV show airing this fall (don't know the name or network, sorry).

Who knows, he may turn out to be the 'ralph nader' of the 21 C.

talesin

• Aztec
    Aztec

*Thinks to self "does anyone read any gawddamn thing I write?" and sighs*

~Aztec

• Swickley
    Swickley

Aztec -- I read your comments!! But then, I'm not Canadian! (Talesin -- That's a JOKE!! I really love Canada)

• talesin
    talesin

Aztec,

Right on! I confess, I just skimmed so I missed that.

Another Moore lover, and one from Flint. That's cool. I think you're right about why people dis him.

It's like, "how can this uncool, no-name guy tell us about our problems?"

"well, maybe cause he's smart, funny and he's got your number!"

You got good taste, womin!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit