Did you ever get a virus on your computer?

by JH 32 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

The firewall was not to blame. Period.

Dialup connections are notoriously inconsistent. Plus it doesn't sound like you did an objective speed test at all.

Try finding some technical document on the web that shows XP's firewall slows down internet connections. You won't find one, because it doesn't.

• JH
    JH

So then you think I have everything to gain by activating it?

Why then do they give us the choice if there is no negative aspect to it?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    So then you think I have everything to gain by activating it?

Absolutely.

Why then do they give us the choice if there is no negative aspect to it?

Because it should only be enabled on Internet-connected interfaces. Windows doesn't know which network interfaces are going to be connected directly to the Internet. Even dialup is not always used for Internet connections.

• JH
    JH

Activated

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

You'll thank me for it later....

• Mackin
    Mackin

Just don't fall into the trap of totally relying on XP's built-in firewall to stop viruses. It is not a true firewall in that it does not stop unauthorised out-bound traffic. A virus on your system could still send data out and XP's firewall would not stop it.

You should also have a good antivirus program installed and running at keep it's signature files up-to-date. A third-party firewall like ZoneAlarm and others will do a better job as they can block both in and out bound traffic.

The best solution by far howerver is ... Install Linux and never fear a virus again.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Nope, never, and I don't user virus scan software on my computers, I just don't open applications I don't know anything about, and I have a hardware firewall.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Just don't fall into the trap of totally relying on XP's built-in firewall to stop viruses. It is not a true firewall in that it does not stop unauthorised out-bound traffic. A virus on your system could still send data out and XP's firewall would not stop it.

You are correct that it does not block outbound traffic, but that doesn't make XP's firewall not a "true" firewall.

You should also have a good antivirus program installed and running at keep it's signature files up-to-date. A third-party firewall like ZoneAlarm and others will do a better job as they can block both in and out bound traffic.

It's better to simply use caution when installing any software. Don't install anything with known spyware. You shouldn't have to worry about outbound traffic unless you have spyware installed.

The best solution by far howerver is ... Install Linux and never fear a virus again.
    Talk about a false sense of security! You still need to worry about security exploits with Linux. I run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on my Debian Linux boxes quite regularly to keep them up to date.
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Nope, never, and I don't user virus scan software on my computers, I just don't open applications I don't know anything about, and I have a hardware firewall.

Well the hardware firewall probably does nothing to block viruses (unless it's a more expensive application-level firewall). In the past you could get away with not running antivirus software if you were careful, but not so much any more. Some viruses are self-executing and don't require any action on your part. I think it's only a matter of time...

• Mackin
    Mackin

Talk about a false sense of security! You still need to worry about security exploits with Linux. I run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on my Debian Linux boxes quite regularly to keep them up to date.

------

And so do I keep my Linux systems up-to-date. But I don't "worry" about viruses because Linux is inherently less vunerable that a MS system.

And, like Trauma Hound I sit behind a "true" hardware firewall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit