Did you ever get a virus on your computer?

by JH 32 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

With all the viruses going around, did you ever get one, or do you fear that you will get one?

Good thing that I have Norton Antivirus, because I would have had a few.

Just wondering with those with Windows XP, do you keep your XP firewall activated? I don't. They say it slows down things alot.

• Special K
    Special K

Who doesn't fear getting a virus on the computer?

I certainly do..

special k

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

No viruses for me

OCW

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    They say it slows down things alot.

Who says that?

• JH
    JH

A technicien who sold a computer to my father last week.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    A technicien who sold a computer to my father last week.

Well he doesn't know what he's talking about. A firewall will make no noticable impact on performance... especially at the speed of most internet connections.

Actually anti-virus software will impact the performance of your computer noticably, but the performance drop is worth it.

There's no good reason to leave the XP firewall turned off unless you're using a hardware firewall/router.

• JH
    JH

My internet connection is much slower when the Windows XP firewall is activated. I have a 56K modem connection. It's twice as slow when the firewall is activated.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    My internet connection is much slower when the Windows XP firewall is activated. I have a 56K modem connection. It's twice as slow when the firewall is activated.

No way. XP's firewall is simply a packet filter. It does not examine the contents of any packets; it merely drops new (non-established) packets coming in on the protected interface. This type of firewall has little to no impact on network performance. Something else was to blame for your apparent drop in performance.

• JH
    JH

When I uploaded pictures on strike9.com with the firewall activated, it took twice as long if not three times as long to upload. It was a long wait.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

The only virus I ever got hit with was Nimda when it came out, and it cost me! Since then I run a hardware firewall appliance, email gateway with 3 antivirus engines, and desktop antivirus software. It might sound like overkill, but not compared to what the last incident cost me.

Walter

Ontario District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit