Did You Make Excuses For The Jehovah's Witness Religion?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you ever find yourself having to defend your faith, while at the same time knowing, that your arguments were not so good to begin with? For example, a person might say,"You people don't take blood and believe in doctors." Even if we might have doubts about the blood issue, we would still defend our "faith" as best as we could. And we would make sure that the person realized that JW's do believe in doctors!.....Can you think of ways that you found yourself excusing the JW religion because you felt it was the right thing to do???

• freedom96
    freedom96

I only remember once defending the WTS. I was working a couple years after high school, for a company, and I got grief for wanting to take time out for the district convention. Mind you, I would have certainly rather have worked, but at the time I was married to a witness and it just wasn't an option not to go.

Someone was making remarks about someone saying something negative about the organization, and I defended it simply saying, "If you were kicked out of something, would you have anything good to say about it?"

That is all I could say, and I really didn't want to be a witness; I simply knew nothing else. The fading started soon thereafter.

• suzi_creamcheez
    suzi_creamcheez

In school, I was apologetic when explaining to teachers why I couldn't participate in flag salute, holiday activities, etc. At first I wanted to give a good witness, but I realized teachers got frustrated because there were so many nonsensical rules and they had to change the lesson plan to accomodate JW kids. The mom of my JW classmate said we couldn't study creation myths of various cultures because they were pagan. The teacher threw a fit and said the JWs should create their own schools.

In high school, my Spanish teacher was a recent Born-Again Christian, who made a point of telling me the JWs were a cult. She announced to the class when it was my birthday, and sarcastically wished me a happy birthday tho I had asked her not to. I didn't protest as much after that. It's embarrassing to even think about it now.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Yes all the time...One time someone cornered me and wouldn't stop pestering me about JW beliefs..so I calmly told him....*as the society always says never to argue*...... To FK off ...whew...and it worked....Jehovah must have put those words into my mouth cause I don't know where they came from.....does that count!

• wednesday
    wednesday
    In high school, my Spanish teacher was a recent Born-Again Christian, who made a point of telling me the JWs were a cult. She announced to the class when it was my birthday, and sarcastically wished me a happy birthday tho I had asked her not to. I didn't protest as much after that. It's embarrassing to even think about it now

isn't it amazing what teachers used to get away with? Hardly anyone would think to violate somonew's right to choice of religion or make a public dispaly of them , but as a young jws, i too endured many forms of harassment from teahers. some of them just plain hateful Once i was in the gris bathroom and 2 teachers in early 20's were in there too. I was teasing my hair(the style of the day) and they said i wasn't even doing it right and forced me to go out of the bathroom like that. I went to my assigned class and cried. My teacher there let me go back and finish my hair. I saw a girl urinate in her pants once b/c a teacher would not let her go tho the bathroom. Horrible stuff.

• minimus
    minimus

The last couple of years, I would HONESTLY answer questions about JW's views on birthdays, saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes, the JW view of voting,etc. When you tell the "world" what the Society tells us, they look at us like we're nuts.

• Vanant
    Vanant

My teachers thankfully never made a big deal about the flag salute, holiday parties, etc, though I could tell that they didn't like JWs. In talking with peers, I would always try to avoid subjects that have to do with JW beliefs, out of worry that I would be made fun of . . . When those subjects came up anyway, I would try to explain the Society's views, sometimes using the Reasoning book . . . but on the issues where I disagreed with the official view, the thought running through my mind as I made my explanations was, "Why do I have to tell people this when I don't even believe it?"

• minimus
    minimus

As an elder, I regularly had people read the publications to get their own answers because I didn't officially agree with the Society's position.

• suzi_creamcheez
    suzi_creamcheez

wednesday- sounds like you and me went to the same school.

My 4th grade teacher (a real b*tch) actually started coming to the KH. The mom of one of her students converted her.

• minimus
    minimus

You'd think teachers would know better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit