Are you related to anyone famous?

by Mulan 40 Replies latest social entertainment

• NEWWORLDSLACKER
    NEWWORLDSLACKER

My great grandfather Walter Gist was the inventor of the urinal cake .

NwS

• Mac
    Mac

By marriage i'm related to Lil' Oscar.......the guy in the weinermobile....at last, someone that looks up to me!!!

mac(I really am)

• dancnfool_60
    dancnfool_60

I was related by marraige, but since I am now divorced only my kids are related to (don't know the correct spelling) Byrl Ives....the guy who said EVERYTHING was edible and was on the grapenuts commercials....They are also related to some old famous baseball player but since I dont know crap about sports I cant remember his name...I know it began with an L.......lol

my mother was born and raised in Germany, came to USA when she was 18. I never knew any of her 8 brothers and sisters so I dont know who I am reelated to over there.

LIFES TO SHORT...DANCE NAKED AND WIGGLE YOUR ASS

DF_60

• jgnat
    jgnat

My great uncle Jim Baillie was/is a famous ornithologist here in Canada. His proudest accomplishment was buying a stuffed Auk for Canada.

I am also related to Isobel Baillie, a famous Scottish singer of a past generation. In 1951 she was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire; in 1978 she was made a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire. Her autobiography was aptly titled Never Sing Louder Than Lovely (London, 1982).

• Mulan
    Mulan

My grandmother had a famous first cousin, R. Tracy Crawford, a Berkeley University professor and astronomer. I've emailed with Berkeley trying to get a photo of him but there doesn't seem to be one. They have told me a lot about him though. A wing at the University is named after him.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Too many to list!!! I am a Waddington, and our family dates back to 798! Anyone from Canada, Australia, or the UK might know that name. I've got my genealogy book out, and it says that our branch is the "West Riding Waddingtons, of Yorkshire". Duke Wada was the Anglo-Saxon chief of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and founder of the Township of Waddington. Waddington means Children (ing) of the town (ton) of Wad. The book says "The Waddingtons are a true family, from one ancestor, Duke Wada from Ferrands of Gascony, whose line in the 12th century gave Kings to Portugal". They're kinda famous, at least historically!!!! My g/g granduncle discovered Mt. Waddington, in B.C. Anyways, no one famous in America, but that's ok, I might be the first!!!!!

• Xandria
    Xandria

Hang on to your lasso Sis, you are about to get an Family History Lesson.

The Aunt's tell me that thier 2rd cousin is Olivia De Havilland since you are not too familiar with Flynn's Robin Hood. Let me make it a bit easier for you. "Gone with the Wind" ( here in the South it should be the Wind done Gone but that is another story for another time). She played Melonie.

Our Cousin Cyndi 's husband Joe is related to Al Capone ( he is his great-great-Grandson).

On my husband's side through marriage deary you are related to: Hezekiah Alexander ( Revolutionary War Hero and Great great great great great great Uncle to M.) and because of the marriages to the Polk side of the family down a ways you also are related by marriage to James K. Polk. Hezekiah's Daughter Mary was married to Charles "Devil Charlie" Polk.

This house still stands.

Hezekiah Alexander was born January 13, 1722, in Cecil County, Maryland. He was the son of James Alexander and Margaret McKnitt. Sometime after 1754, Hezekiah, as well as his brother, John McKnitt, emigrated to North Carolina.

The Alexanders quickly established themselves in their new home, Mecklenburg County. Although Hezekiah had come to North Carolina as a blacksmith, it was as a farmer that he made his fortune. On April 1, 1767, he purchased, from his brother John, a tract of land containing over three hundred acres located on a branch of Sugar Creek. It was here that in 1774 he built a stone house to accommodate his wife, Mary Sample, and their growing family. The house was to remain Hezekiah's residence until his death in 1801, and became the center of his expanding farming enterprises. Both Hezekiah and John McKnitt Alexander were active in the affairs of their county. John was a crown surveyor and county magistrate. Hezekiah played an active role in the church, being an elder in the Sugaw Creek Presbyterian Church. He was also a trustee of Queens College, chartered in 1771, renamed Liberty Hall in 1774. Both brothers numbered among their friends and associates the prominent community leaders of Mecklenburg; among these were Thomas Polk, William Sample, Ephraim Brevard, the Phifers, the Averys, and Jeremiah MaCafforty.

Hezekiah is buried in Sugaw Creek Cemetery.

Through the Alexander side of the Family you are also related to: Annie Lowrie Alexander the first Female Physician of Charlotte.

The Alexander Family has a lonnnggg history and ties to this Country's History too. Alexandria, VA. is named after a relation in Virginia. In 1749, Alexandria was established by the Virginia General Assembly; it was named after the Alexanders, who owned the land. I could go on and on with references to history.. but I don't wanna bore everyone.

In Charlotte:

Settler’s Cemetery it had its beginnings as a burial ground for the Polk family and their slaves and was shared by the three churches and the townsfolk until all available gravesites were used.

The Cemetery I keep telling you about well here is what is in it.

Elmwood/Pinewood cemetery quickly reveals its interments of historical significance just by reading the surnames on extant tombstones. Elmwood/Pinewood is the final resting place of relatives of two American Presidents; Andrew Jackson and James K. Polk. Relatives of American Pioneer Icons such as: Boone, Crockett, Houston, Jackson, and Davis are also buried there. Local pioneers and/or their descendants such as: the Polks, Spratts, Alexanders, Clontzs, Steeles, Whites, Springs, Blacks, Orrs, Hoods, etc. are also interred there. M. is related to: Springs, Orrs, Boyd, Montgomery, Kerrs, Springs, Polk, Palmer, Westmoreland, Steeles, Wallace, etc. His 5th Cousin is Arnold P.

X

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Um, I know who Olivia De Havilland is, sis, I'm young, not ignorant I just didn't know the relationship. I don't know any of the history on moms side of the family, only on my dads because my cousin Jim wrote a book about it. Those are some pretty interesting facts, maybe I oughtta look into moms side, I've always been afraid after meeting the freaks in the immediate family!!!!

• Xandria
    Xandria
    not ignorant

Maybe's never said you were ignorant.. sometimes it is not easy placing someone.

I've always been afraid after meeting the freaks in the immediate family!!!!

Yes, I know about those freaks.. sometimes you have to brave shark infested waters to get the pearls.

Just smile and nod your head knowingly. Keep thinking when are they returning to take you back to your home planet ?

Love ya,

X

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

The Dalton boys from the Dalton gang (Train Robbers) were first cousins of my great grandmothers which might explain my run-ins with the law. I'm just carryin' on an old family tradition as Bocephus put it.

TimB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit