Angels are Neuter Gender According to JW`s

by smiddy3 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

smiddy3, I was explaining from the WTS viewpoint, not my personal view which matches yours, whereas the WTS says Deborah did not have the same authority as male judges and wasn't a real judge. It was just that no men qualified evidently. Perhaps, Deborah wore a head covering, (smile). There was an prophetess, Huldah, that King Josiah specifically sent his officials to consult with. The WTS dances around that too.

WTS Deborah comments (1980) a dance around (and adding to the bible)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1980812#h=1:0-6:379

Thus, while Deborah can properly be described as a prophetess, it is only in a general sense that she was doing a measure of judging in Israel; she was not taking the full place of a male judge in Israel. Judges 4:5 says: “She was dwelling under Deborah’s palm tree between Ramah and Bethel in the mountainous region of Ephraim; and the sons of Israel would go up to her for judgment.” As for the matter of giving the Israelites Jehovah’s answer to difficult problems that would come up, this she could do because of Jehovah’s spirit being upon her.

In contrast, Barak certainly was one who effected deliverance for the Israelites. The reasonable conclusion to draw is that Barak was a judge in the full sense of the word, and this is in accord with Hebrews 11:32, where he ranks among the judges of ancient Israel. Thus the book Aid to Bible Understanding, on page 980, in listing the judges of Israel, does not include Deborah.

WTS Huldah comments (2002)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002925#h=29:0-32:552

Huldah​—An Influential Prophetess

Upon hearing the reading of “the very book of the law” found in the temple, King Josiah ordered Shaphan and four other high-ranking officials to “inquire of Jehovah” about the book. (2 Kings 22:8-20) Where could the delegation find the answer? Jeremiah and possibly Nahum and Zephaniah, all prophets and Bible writers, lived in Judah at the time. The delegation, however, approached Huldah the prophetess.

The book Jerusalem​—An Archaeological Biography comments: “The remarkable thing about this episode is that the male-female aspect of the story was completely unremarked. No one considered it the least bit inappropriate that an all-male committee took the Scroll of the Law to a woman to determine its status. When she declared it the word of the Lord, no one questioned her authority to determine the issue. This episode is often overlooked by scholars assessing the role of women in ancient Israel.” Of course, the message received was from Jehovah.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thank you for that clarification blondie, JW`s use that "evidently" so conveniently don`t they.

Perhaps, Deborah wore a head covering, (smile). I can relate with you there.

There was an prophetess, Huldah, that King Josiah specifically sent his officials to consult with. The WTS dances around that too.

I`m just looking at Bible words indexed and she is not listed ,Iwonder why.?

I`ll check her out ,maybe i`m getting old I cant remember her at all.

• blondie
    blondie

smiddy3, I am an old hand at finding things on the WOL (WT Online Library). I probably remember her because I am a woman and spent many years in the WTS. The WTS trots out Huldah and Deborah when trying to say that women have value in today's WTS, but they always find a way to say they were the exception and that there were no spiritual men available.

In my day, because of the lack of baptized men, sisters "moderated" book studies, watchtower studies, handled ministerial duties such as literature, magazines, sound,etc. Even today in some remote or small congregations, women do many traditional male roles, but are never appointed and must be coordinated by some baptized brother even if it has to be the circuit overseer. I saw more of this 55 years ago when I was very young, but even only 20 years ago in the boonies of Canada.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002925#h=29:0-32:552

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002101#h=1:0-5:731

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=huldah&p=sen&r=newest

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The Angels are a professional baseball team that play baseball in Los Angeles, California and they are all men! Sorry ladies!

just saying!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    blondie - "I have come to realize that the worst fear many men have is that their penis will disappear."

And how would you feel if your hoo-ha went bye-bye?

• blondie
    blondie

Vidiot, probably not good, but because peeing would be difficult but men don't seem to make that their main concern, that is, peeing being difficult. Many women in Arab countries do have their clitoris removed and the vaginal opening closed up just big enough to allow a urine stream to go through.

Called female genital mutilation (FGM).

But I don't find many women talking about that in a public setting or on a DB like men seem to.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

They Angels came down - became men and took women, as many as they wanted.

So that makes them "think" MALE.

Anyway - Talking about the Gender of "spirit creatures" is like talking about if the Characters of My Little Pony are male or female.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Genesis 6 only says that "the sons of God" were taken in by women who were "fair".

It does not say that these "sons of God" were spirit beings. That idea does not come from Genesis. The people who invented that concept lived in the 3rd century BCE, at the time when 1 Enoch began to be written, along with other speculative books, including with Jubilees and later, Daniel. These are the writings that influenced sects such as the Dead Sea Community, John the Baptist, and the ensuing Christian movement.

Please read the history of that period as most Christian mythologies emanate from that time, such as Satan/Devil, demons, war in heaven, and so on.

One good place to start is the book: "Crucible of Faith: The Ancient Revolution that made our Modern Religious World" by Philip Jenkins.

Research the Second Temple Period, the time from the rebuilding of the temple in the 6thcenturies BCE to its destruction in 70 CE.

Another book: "Reading Mark in Context: Jesus and Second Temple Judaism"; There are a few in that series.

They are available as Kindle editons.

Embryonic Christianity was part of that Jewish environment.
    Doug

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

These angels taking human form and having sex with women is no different to Greek mythology. Gods taking human form and having sex with women to create demigods, half God half human with superpowers. Achilles being the most famous example. Just like the Nephilim were giants and could kill humans easily 'fellers of men' I seem to remember.

In fact Zeus, the old lecher, came down as a bull to rape Europa and a swan to have sex with Leda, human form wasn't always necessary. Talking snakes and donkeys are not exclusive to the Bible. I first started reading Greek and Roman mythology in my late twenties while still a JW and I found it so similar to bible stories it felt freaky.

This is why they don't want people to get an education because as soon as you start to read other mythology you see the similarities with the bible stories.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thanks Doug for that info and the book suggestions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit