Why Did Obama win the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009?

by JW_Researcher 22 Replies latest jw friends

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

While even non-peaceful people have been awarded the Peace Prize (e.g. Arafat, Kissinger), I am confused as to how Obama could possibly have won the award one year after being the first term junior senator from Illinois with zero “Peace” experience (other than his ‘well-articulated’ rhetoric).

Reading the Obama-pining on a couple of posts made me reexamine my view of Barry’s presidency.

So….why, again? I'm certain it was all very clear when it happened...I can't remember now though.

• under the radar
    under the radar

I believe it was more for what Obama represented than anything specific he had accomplished, other than being elected President. He was the first mulatto President, though he identified as black (African American). Even his half-blackness was regarded as ground breaking progress in American social awareness.

His election was thought to represent a huge step forward in American thinking. His presidency's merits and short-comings are vigorously debated among scholars, but this is not the place for that discussion.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

You are asking the wrong question in my opinion. The question should be why did he ACCEPT the Nobel Peace Prize?

Surely, he knew that he would go down in history as the only NPP recipient who did absolutely NOTHING to merit it, except be born half black and get elected President.

He missed a huge opportunity to attract millions, but pride won out.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Because he is black

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Half of it was white privilege, half of it was affirmative action.

(this is a joke, people. Lighten up if it offends you.)

• Simon
    Simon

Because it's a meaningless BS award that a certain group hands out to themselves for self-promotion and propaganda purposes.

He did nothing for peace, and he'll be remembered as a failure of a president representing a lost decade in US history.

• Simon
    Simon

Joke. He won't be remembered!

• Giordano
    Giordano

He will be remembered as the President who backed the truck out of the ditch and got America going again.

Trump hates Obama like he hates anyone else who disagrees with him or mocks him. He's a worthless President.

Simon.......As America weakens so does Canada.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Because he's half-black.

Not properly black, but still better than being white.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

When it came down to the final three, Obama was chosen.

The other two were Martha Stuart and R Kelly.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit