Apparently Pinatas are ' no big deal'. What's next? Birthdays?

by xjw_b12 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• acsot
    acsot

I mentioned casually to a super-dub JW here at work that since luaus and pinatas are okay, toasting to someone's health is probably okay also. She said "I like that custom"

What? This is the same person who says : "If the Society says jump, your only response should be: How high?"

Has she participated in toasts? Being the stickler she is, I can't believe it, but who knows?

It seems to me that the WTS knows its fighting a losing battle with all of its nitpicking stupidity and is loosening the reins a bit. A little bit, over nonsense. They'll still let babies die from lack of blood transfusions, but it's okay to hit a pinata.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

I've seen too many kids get beaned with a baseball bat to the face on america's funniest home videos to fully endorse pinatas myself :P

• undercover
    undercover
    Actually, if you can get a Watchtower from December 15, 2001 and check out the Questions from Readers article, they have softened their position on Christmas (actually they say "holiday") for JW wives who have an unbelieving spouse. The JW wife of an unbelieving husband can now buy gifts on her husband's behalf, buy gift wrap on her husband's behalf, wrap gifts on her husband's behalf, prepare a special meal that he requests, visit his non-JW relatives and enjoy their company, etc etc, provided she does not participate in anything that would be considered an act of false worship.

Isn't that comprimising one's faith? I mean, if it's a pagan holiday, it's a pagan holiday. A true Christian would have no connection with it.

They also made it ok for wives to vote if required to by their husbands. Again that's comprimising your faith.

What happened to we'll obey god rather than men?

What if your company requires that you raise the national flag every so often(let's say all employees take turns). If you're doing it at the behest of your boss, then you are not worshipping the flag, you're just a slave doing as his master instructs. Think they'll go for that one?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

So, from Scully's post, I gather that we can now do just about anything, as long as we are doing it on someone else's behalf. Every family should get a token worldly person, and then we can all just go crazy.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

RunningMan said:

So, from Scully's post, I gather that we can now do just about anything, as long as we are doing it on someone else's behalf. Every family should get a token worldly person, and then we can all just go crazy.

Actually every family would need a token husband / dad. Can you imagine if the wife/mother was the wordly one, and she requested of her husband/children to do the "pagan activities" mentioned in that Questions from Readers? I can see it now. "Brother soandso, we have reports that you were seen at the Wal-Mart purchasing Christmas wrapping paper". "Yes Brother Elder, my wordly wife requested I do so, and I did , without judging what she intends to do with the items !" ROTFLMAO

• Special K
    Special K

I didn't read all scullys post but..

do you mean a wife can do all those things for Xmas and say her husband asked her too and that is fine.

I want to know about the reverse?

If a wife is the unbeliever and she asks her husband to do all these things for Xmas is it still okay?

Special k

• Special K
    Special K

Hey all

The way I see it now. If you are someone who are still a J.W. on the outside but are not a J.W. on the inside.... then if one of your children has a birthday you could

Have a Lu'au on her special day and invite family and friends. Yes, a big celebration.. food and drink. a big hawiian party for the little one.. and then have a big pinnate..with lots of candy in it.

Wow.. this truly is a break through for J.W. kids.

special k

• rocketman
    rocketman

They should apply that criteria to all celebrations and customs. How can they arbitrarily apply it to some (Luau, Pinata_ and not others (B-days, Mother's and Father's Day, saying 'god bless you', toasting w glasses, etc). They are just arbitrary rule-makers.

• LDH
    LDH

Plum says

I can remember going to party's as a kid and beating the carp out of pinatas.

Well, it could be a local thing, but here in California the children prefer candy to fish.

On my opinion of this whole charade, this religion is becoming such a farce. Old timers who were around when the original pinata article was written would NEVER have a pinata. Newbies are welcome to.

They encourage double lives at every turn, and then wonder why it bites them in the ass.

It seems to me the Mexicans get an easy road of it, probably because of the potential growth Mexico represents to the WTS. First, they get to bribe political officials and now they get pinatas. By the way, about 8 years ago while visiting a JW family in Los Mochis, MX we were shocked to see the children making Christmas decorations. If I hadn't been on my way out, I would have been stumbled.

Lisa

It's a Cholo Thing, Class

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I've seen too many kids get beaned with a baseball bat to the face on america's funniest home videos to fully endorse pinatas myself :P

Well tinkerbell, that's because you've been watching QUESTIONABLE television shows. There's far too much violence on that TV show. See? This is what happens to one's faith when they're watching TV instead of going out on service or reading the Watchtower & Awake! Jehovah now allows us to use pinatas, so I think we should hang one up at the Kingdom Hall for decoration. I can't wait until Jehovah approves of fortune cookies!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit