Apparently Pinatas are ' no big deal'. What's next? Birthdays?

by xjw_b12 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I always thought the Society frowned upon the use of Pinatas, if not discouraging the use of them all together.

Apparently the WTS has decided to avoid insulting the brothers in Mexico.

From the September 22, 2003 Awake. (If anyone can bring up a scan, please do so)

"When considering whether to include a pinata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others.(1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking not his own advantage, but that of the other person"---- 1 Corinthians 10:24.

Also see: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/50550/1.ashx

Comments anyone?

P.S. Thanks to Shotgun for the tip

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D
    A main concern is not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues.

This, Hula dancing in Hawaii; what's next, X-max and Easter?

Who today get's together for Christmas to worship Satunalia on 12/25?

Nothing surprises me anymore from these guys... alt

Winston.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Looks like they are starting to Boil the Frog... just like they accused the other churches of doing.

• Odrade
    Odrade

bleh, hypocrites. This is the exact same argument in reverse they use to condemn holidays, birthdays, toasting, and any number of other traditions.

How many times have you heard the argument "Well that holiday may not mean that NOW, be WE know the ORIGINS. That is why we don't do it."

Hmmm.... this sounds like the direct opposite:

A main concern is not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area

*flip-flop*

Odrade

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    A main concern is not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area.

Oh you bastards! Let's see, Christmas today is about sharing, not Jesus' birth. Easter today is about eating chocolate bunnies, not Jesus' death. Birthdays are simply a reason to eat cake, not cut people's heads off. Mother's day is simply showing appreciation for your mother. Wearing a crucifix simply shows that you like wearing jewelry. Need I go on? This statement can open up a lot of debating.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

When I think back on all of the times in my life when something was forbidden because it had "pagan origins", it just makes me so mad to hear them say "a main concern is not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area."

Those ass-holes. How dare they pick and choose where to apply their idiotic dogmas.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I can remember going to party's as a kid and beating the carp out of pinatas.

I also remember it was considered to be pegan and frowned apon. upon So, I guess I missed both announcments.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

LOL ...

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

A few months ago I took my nephew to a barbeque and we hit a pinata. He thought it was the greatest thing. Word got back to my mom and she threw a FIT!!!! I cant wait to take him to another one so she can complain and I can tell her to check out the Sept 22 2003 Awake, and tell her it didnt bother my conscience.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I LOVE THIS.

THANK YOU

• freeman
    freeman

Those ass-holes. How dare they pick and choose where to apply their idiotic dogmas.

That I’m afraid my friend is the very nature of a cult. The application of dogma is at the sole discretion of the leader(s). In this case, the Faithless and Despicable Slave. The FDS has the power to redefine anything and everything at will.

Freeman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit