JW Mom (Joyce Stewart) resists life-saving transfusion for little daughter

by Gopher 37 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Jourles
    Jourles

I see Blessed is trying to isolate him/herself as being a witness. C'mon, how many non-dubs speak about blood transfusions and bring up "Ringer's" "non-blood expanders" etc?? Notice that they didn't come out and deny that they were a witness. What the hell is WTBTS?? HAHAHA! What a maroon!

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Something tells me that if they hospital wins, and the little baby gets what is needed, the parents will secretly be so relieved...and then feel guilty about it for years....sigh

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Goph, I wonder if such parents would show similar courage f their ass was on the stove

• Gopher
    Gopher

Many JW's have secretly allowed transfusions for themselves.

So fearnotruth, I guess the answer to your question depends on the amount of loyalty indoctrination the individual JW has. Some are loyal crazy enough to die for their belief in the Governing Body's authority to tell them what medical treatments not to take.

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

IT is not fair in my opinion to choose death for someome else based on religion. I think about the enraged father who put his son on fire and then coward out and decided not to kill homself goph

• Gopher
    Gopher
    IT is not fair in my opinion to choose death for someone else based on religion.

Absolutely right. That is why fair-minded judges (when given the chance) will temporarily make the child a ward of the state (if the child is being refused life-saving medical treatment). It is in the best interests of society to overrule the parent who is blinded by a delusional religion.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Someone in my old congregation, for example, supposedly got her doctor to help her "miscarry" her child who was to be born with Down's Syndrome. That's awful on so many levels I always hoped the rumor wasn't true...

Gamaliel: What's "awful" about it? I wouldn't presume to judge the woman; that's a huge burden to bear and not everyone can do it.

• detective
    detective

Here's something for a little compare and contrast exercise:

From the Boston Globe...

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/022/region/Opening_arguments_begin_in_mur:.shtml

Opening arguments begin in murder trial of sect member

By Denise Lavoie, Associated Press, 1/22/2004 12:55

ADVERTISEMENT
    \n'); } if ( plugin ) { document.write(''); } else if (!(navigator.appName && navigator.appName.indexOf("Netscape")>=0 && navigator.appVersion.indexOf("2.")>=0)) {document.write(''); } //-->
    TAUNTON, Mass. (AP) Prosecutors said Thursday that Karen Robidoux was a willing participant in the murder of her infant son, while her attorney countered that Robidoux was under the control of a religious sect when she and her husband starved the boy to death.

Jurors heard opening arguments Thursday in the trial of Robidoux, who is charged with second-degree murder for allegedly depriving Samuel Robidoux of food after a fellow sect member had a divine ''vision.''

Samuel died in the spring of 1999, three days before his first birthday. His body was exhumed from a makeshift grave in northern Maine's Baxter State Park.

''From day one day one this woman, his mother, knew what was happening to her child, knew what was causing him to be ill, to be weak, to suffer, and at the conclusion of 51 days, to die,'' prosecutor Walter Shea said.

Defense attorney Joseph Krowski said Karen Robidoux was under the sway of other members of The Body sect, including her husband, Jacques. Indoctrinated into the group's strict beliefs as a teenager, and given few freedoms, she was unable to resist the edict, Krowski said.

''Jacques Robidoux was responsible for what happened,'' Krowski said. ''He was the one who was in control.''

Jacques Robidoux was convicted of first degree murder and is serving a life sentence.

A jury of nine men and seven women was seated Wednesday to try his wife, whose trial was delayed after a psychologist found her too emotionally distraught to stand trial. She received psychiatric treatment and a judge in September found her competent to stand trial.

After opening statements, prosecutors called their first witness, Dennis Mingo, a former sect member who left the group and later found Jacques Robidoux's diary, which proved to be a key piece of evidence for prosecutors.

Police on Wednesday arrested another key witness after he failed to show in court.

David Corneau, a member of The Body, was arrested at a gas station after a Taunton Superior Court judge issued a warrant for him.

It was Corneau who led police to a remote Maine grave site where they found the remains of the Robidoux boy and Corneau's own stillborn son, Jeremiah.

Corneau was never charged. He testified last year in the trial of Jacques Robidoux.

and from the Boston herald:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/localRegional.bg?articleid=1400

Sect scofflaw nabbed on eve of cult mom murder trial By Dave Wedge
    Thursday, January 22, 2004

A ttleboro cult mom Karen Robidoux goes on trial today for allegedly starving her son to death, and police last night arrested another sect member who was under court order to testify but was a no-show in court yesterday.

A Taunton Superior Court judge issued an arrest warrant for David Corneau, a member of The Body religious sect who led authorities in 2000 to a Mainegrave site where they found the remains of Karen Robidoux's son, Samuel. Corneau was arrested at a gas station and was being held last night.
    Corneau's stillborn son, Jeremiah, was buried alongside Samuel, who prosecutors say died of malnutrition days before his first birthday. Corneau was never charged. He testified in last year's trial of Robidoux's husband, Jacques, who was convicted of first-degree murder.
    Members of the fundamentalist sect shun mainstream society, live communally and give birth at home.
    A jury of nine men and seven women was seated yesterday for Karen Robidoux's trial on second-degree murder charges for Samuel's 1999 death. Opening statements were slated for this morning in the Taunton courthouse.
    Prosecutors say the couple stopped feeding the toddler solid food to comply with a bizarre religious vision the boy's aunt, Michelle Mingo, claimed she had. Mingo faces accessory charges.
    Karen Robidoux's lawyer, Joseph Krowski, is using a battered woman defense, saying his client was coerced, intimidated and barred from saving her son.
    ``In the end, she was not allowed to do what needed to be done,'' Krowski said. ``This woman had no options.''
    Prosecutor Walter Shea, however, said the evidence will show she was a key player in the tragedy.
    ``When a mother watches her child starve to death for 51 days and does nothing . . . I'll leave it to the jury to decide,'' Shea said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit