Jessica Lynch Book Trouble

by Panda 76 Replies latest social current

• Panda
    Panda

Has anyone seen the news about Jessica Lynch's book (which isn't even written yet).

On the news last night the father of one of Lynch's company of soldiers was on tv stating that since his son was part of her experience that she should share the profits from her book. His son was killed in that battle in Iraq.

He claims that Lynch stated that she joined the Army to get college money. Now she's left the Army to write this book with a $1,000,000. advance from her publisher and a ghost writer (a la Hilary Clinton and Queen Nor). The father of the killed soldier said his son joined the Army to serve his country and Lynch is always just after the money. (first college $$$ now a book deal) Since I think the interviewer was a Fox lawyer I think ther's mention of some legal action to get Jessica Lynch to share.

To me this is beyond ridiculous. Ok that was my first reaction anyway. Then I realised that this man has lost his beloved son and he is probably angry at the world and only happened to focus on Lynch.

So has anyone heard more about this situation?

Panda

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

If she has any grain of PR sense, let alone decency, she'll donate a solid chunk of the money from her book to a fund for the survivors of soldiers killed in this war, or something of the sort.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I haven't heard about this, but that was something I wondered about when I first heard about the book deal and potential movie deals. She was not alone in being attacked and rescued. They talk about giving her money for her story, but what about everyone else involved? She came in direct contact with several other people, including those in her company and those who rescued her. And what about the Iraqi citizen who risked his life to bring information to the US soldier rescuers? I suppose the book will be completely from her perspective (autobiography), so maybe she is the only one who should get money there. Others can write their own book (if and when they leave the Army) and make whatever money their book generates based on the interest of the public no matter how unfair it may seem if Jessica's book generates more interest and makes the most money. But I more wonder about any movie deals.

I also think this particular guy is just very upset, and really doesn't have any legal ground on the book deal.

• willyloman
    willyloman

If you have followed this whole news story VERY carefully from the get go, here is what you would know:

1. Jessica's "heroics" were hyped and way overblown from the start

2. It later developed that she basically had an auto accident, blacked out and was taken prisoner

3. She was rescued from an unguarded hospital at zero risk to the soldiers who went in after her

4. Her million dollar book is being written by a reporter who got fired from the NY Times for fabricating stories

• teejay
    teejay

>>>>>To me this is beyond ridiculous.

Panda,

I'm confused.

What part is it that you consider ridiculous? That Ms. Lynch's experience is worth $1 million in the telling or that the father of a slain soldier thinks she ought to share her windfall with others have gave more than she ever will?

Personally, I think it's absurd (although perfectly in line with this world's thinking) that she's considered a hero. I mean... what did she do besides get shot and then get rescued? Other men and women over there are far more heroic, and their families and children back home just got their benefits cut.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

sour grapes all the way around

• wednesday
    wednesday

this is so sour grapes. I want to read her story. I care about the other members of the troop, but since they are not left to tell the story, i quess she will be the one. It's her book and her money. She does not have to share anything. the father who has come forward to say this is grieving. I am sorry for his loss. But i still want to read her book and he is only making himself about petty to do this.

• Panda
    Panda

Teejay, Good question and I had to think through this again. My trail of considering went like this:

I do want to read Jessica's story.

I wish she'd just write it herself and then have an editor. I mean how is this a memoir with someone else writing. We'll get none of her personality. Which makes me not want to read it (But I will). Even though I love Hillary Clinton I haven't read her book because of the ghost writer thing. I guess they aren't ghost writers anymore.

The father of the slain soldier rightly grieves for his son. Legally there isn't much he can do to get money from Jessica. However if she is going to be wealthy It would be a good idea to establish a college fund for the children whose parents were in her unit.

Ok so what is ridiculous? The grieving father going to the tv news and stating that he believes he has a claim to Jessicas book money. Afterall, he could've personally contacted her and something positive would've come out of this horror.

I appreciated you asking that question so that I could be more specific.

Panda

• Panda
    Panda

Stacy and Wednesday: Definitely sour grapes. But the father of the slain soldier is probably thinking why his wonderful son died when this "person" is alive. Whats funny is he blasted her for being all about money. He said she joined the Army to get money for college and now this big book deal well she's not the patrot my son is, he loved his country" So I thought that was sour grapes, but god the guy lost his son... so I keep going round and round on this.

Thanks for your imput, Panda

• Panda
    Panda

Willyloman: I'm not so sure that the experience was as banal as you describe. My only reference was a commander I met from Gulf War I. She was helping with our women in history presentation at UTSA. She was ar Randolf AFB. In the gulf war she was shot down. when she was rescued she was naked except for remnants of her tattered flight suit. both her arms and legs had been broken ---not from her crash. Afterwards we got to talk a bit. I looked her straight in the eyes and we both started to tear up. I said "there was much more done to you wasn't there. We both had tears rolling down our faces. I told her I didn't need to know. But she told me some things. It was so awful. Getting beat up while all your limbs are broken and twisted. She was so brave to continue on her career when she now knew what the possibilities felt like. So I don't think Jessica Lynch had it so easy as some say. I don't think she felt safe until those heros came and rescued her. But I'll have to wait to read her story. Thanks for your thoughts.

Euph and Max: I see you both mentioned the idea of some future contribution for her slain comrades. Don't you think that her life is in such turmoil now that she won't even think straight until this book thing is done? Do we see Spielberg directing? Thanks for posting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit