How do we make a difference now?

by Mr Lebowski 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

Good question! First I decided once I left the JUU's that I could change the world by engaging in local and regional politics. After a few years it became obvious that this was a waste if time and that political leaders engender more harm than good all in the name of "service". I married and began working in a variety of projects, most to do with helping disadvantaged kids and mentally handicapped. We adopted a minority child, which, interestingly, has become a life-long project as we are now raising the offspring of said adopted child. We have become very active in our religion and even spent four years as volunteers in Israel doing volunteer work for it. Beyond that, I have always been civically active working on Chambers of Commerce and in the schools our kids have attended. In addition to all the above, we donate to the Heifer Project and track the results of our donations. To date we have provided eight villages in South America with female goats that are now in their fourth generation. Who knows what good that has done, but we have faith that something good is coming of it.

carmel

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Lady Lee.

You didn't mention a certain cookbook. I am sure that book is making a big difference in a lot of kitchens and dining rooms around the world ! ( especially for the cullinary challenged )

• onacruse
    onacruse

Carmel, what you just said reminds me of the proverb:

Counsel in the heart of a man is like deep water: but a wise man will draw it out.

I continue to learn from you.

Craig

• obiwan
    obiwan

I volunteer some time and food to a local soup kitchen, I know what it's like to be hungry.

I have started a mailing. Nothing to grand, just a mailing telling people they can get out of the wts. I'm hoping this will hit jw's who don't know how to escape. This is a mass mailing, much like the coupons people recieve in the mail.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I work and contribute to Food Banks and Animal Shelters and visit Nursing Homes around holidays. I try to be a good and kind neighbor and I do some online teaching.

Ravyn

• onacruse
    onacruse

obiwan! If you've posted about this before, I missed it. Is there anything I can do to help??

Craig

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I make a difference in my community by introducing the neighborhood kids to cynical idealogies and rock music.

• proudassmonkey
    proudassmonkey

i started donating blood. my little sister died because she wasn't given a blood transfusion. so.... that's my contribution to the world.

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Volunteer the phone line for Women For Sobriety program in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area. A sobriety program thats congruent to AA.

Shared my story with various treatment centers, half-way houses and women in transitional housing.

Participated in the SilentLambs March in Brooklyn. I support SilentLambs with distribution flyers regarding abuse.

Participated in the Aids Walk. Take Back The Night March for survivors of sexual abuse and rape. March goes thru downtown of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Video project Healing from Rape. The project is used in batter women centers and rape center's across the USA.

I am a spiritual artist share with those who are in need of healing or to honor themselves.Very nuturing for me and to help in ways to aid in their healing process.

In ER where I work we take on 5 families who are in need over the holidays. And also with the food drive.

So thats it in a nut shell.

OCW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit