How do we make a difference now?

by Mr Lebowski 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr Lebowski
    Mr Lebowski

Those of us raised as JW's were taught that "it does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step". We were repeatedly told that without God, humans were incompetent and doomed to fail at any endeavour.

I personally believe that this teaching, that we as individuals do not make a difference, is possibly the largest doctrinal harm done to JW's, and one of the toughest to overcome.

So, for those of you who were raised in the WTS and left, what do you choose to do now to make a difference in the world? Why did you pick that avenue - or why do you think you've waited up till now?

I will respectfully ask that "posting to this board" be excluded from the list - not that it doesn't make a difference, and, I'd like to hear about things that are a bit more in the physical realm.

Volunteering? Donations? Political activity? What are you moved to do, now that your impact is acknowledged?

Anyway, over to y'all.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

OK... every year I volunteer with a group that puts on a summer camp/responsibility seminar for kids from the housing projects of the SF Bay area. It's a lot of work, and it's really an act of faith, because it's not something that brings immediate gratification. But this year, the 8th, I think, two girls from the very first year came and spoke to the kids. One of them is in college, and they are both doing very well. I was floored to see them and how they've changed over the years, and seeing those two young women address the group helped me see that this project is making a difference.

• mizpah
    mizpah

My wife and I have taken the counsel "love thy neighbor" to heart. We have provided meals for those sick in our over 55 community. We drop in to see the sick and infirmed. We have visited nursing homes when neighbors have moved there. We try to be sensitive to any in need.

Next year we hope to branch out and share in volunteer work in the community. The hospitals always have a need for volunteers. And COA does wonderful work and is always looking for others to help.

There is no lack of need in every community. We chose not to join a church or to get involved in politics. But there are many areas that need people willing to help. And many opportunites to speak about God and Christ without the motive to convert.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Good question!!

Kate and I have really enjoyed doing a lot of things with JWDers personally (fests, dinners, phone). We have another home-dinner at the end of this month.

Totally outside of JWD...Kate is a volunteer at the local library, and we both vote (just this week, again ). Last summer I had a small part in a multi-national letter-mailing campaign.

I'm increasingly tempted to start doing 'letters to the editor' of the local newspaper (2 million circulation), and maybe even more.

It is a challenge to grow out the shell in which we were "born."

Craig

• gumby
    gumby
    It is a challenge to grow out the shell in which we were "born."

Dang straight it is!

I suppose the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is .....having a different opinion of my fellowman than I had.

As a witness people were only viewed as potential converts....and if they didn't want that........they were useless. Looking at people as people has given me the ability to.....make them happy, help them, talk to them, learn from them.....etc. As a dub .... at least in my life....these things mentioned were only superficial and very limited, if at all.

Gumby

• JeffT
    JeffT

When opportunity arises I speak about my experience as a Witness. I'm working on marketing a novel I've written about a fictious cult.

I try to be active in community affairs, perhaps not as much as I should.

A while ago I got my one gallon pin from the local blood bank.

On Sunday mornings Mrs T and I care for infants in the nursery at our church. That may not be a big thing, but it does give mom and dad a worry free hour and a half with no kids.

Mrs T directs the church's weekday preschool, and teached Kindergarten. She's constantly taking classes on the latest research about how kids learn. Her room is a fun wonderful place for them to be introduced to the joys of learning.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

As an abuse counselor I have always had a problem asking them to pay yet agian for the problems inflicted on them. But I need to eat to. I have had a sliding scale and always had 1 or 2 clietns that I take on for free.

I also have a web site that draws a lot of questions

I build computers for kids from abusive homes who now live in shelters and will soon be moving on to their new homes

For several years I ran a free information and referral service to abuse servivors

I will guest lecture on issues regarding cults and abuse.

And have done one video in a series that is to raise funds for a movie about cults and the JWs

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Excellent question!

As JW's we did more un-productive volunteering than we could ever do productive volunteering. Thus I'm sure lots of xjws just want to kick back for a while and discover who they are. But I do feel a need to belong to a community and volunteering is a great place to start. I just haven't picked a group that I want to volunteer for yet. I guess I'm still at the "finding oneself" stage and telling all that will listen about why it is harmful to belong to a high control group.

j2bf

I'm curious to know what others have found to do.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Good question, and I guess for me, the only difference-making I do is at home, and with my loved ones. I have more time for people now. I did register to vote, so I may try that come November. Other than that, I guess I don't amount to much.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Hey, Rocketman, we don't have to earn it anymore :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit