My impressions of the cart witnessing

by Sour Grapes 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• sparky1
    sparky1

Man, I don't think that I could stand the rigors and extreme effort that it takes to be a 'cart witness.' Why back in my Pioneering days things were a lot easier! While out in service, I've only had a cocked shotgun pushed into my chest, an axe held to my head and a vicious dog corner me on a householders porch while the person mocked me instead of calling off the dog. I could never stand the pressure of pointing people to JW.Borg while standing safely next to my trusty, holy spirit protected cart.

• jp1692
    jp1692

I took this picture last summer in Budapest in a Metro station. Could this poor sod look any more disengaged? Nem tudom (I don’t think so).

Still, you gotta love the irony of the two posters behind him. You don’t need to speak Hungarian to know that one is for a performance of “Jesus Christ Superstar” and the other for a Queen concert with Adam Lambert.

The juxtaposition of this pathetic JW and the "worldly" posters is quite delicious! Sometimes life gives us these little gifts.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

I still have a small plastic document holder with tracts, envelopes and some time slips in my drivers side car door pocket. This left over from another life when I was Gung-ho for the Truth™ ( no idea why I held on to them other than due to my gradual departure and knowing they could have some 'counter productive' use some day ) Have yet to run into any carts but I think these items could be used creatively hehe ! Maybe fill out and present a time slip to one of the elders present.. or maybe just ask them where their hours are at for the month and jot them down. Guaranteed to freak them out especially if they don't know you hahaha !!!!!!

PS : Elder above looks like a Kool-Aid drinking pioneer elder I knew that would snap his britches at how great he is for the Truth™ with his generous airline maintenance tech's pension money coming in every month..

• fred1
    fred1

We were out for a bike ride yesterday. Next to a coffee shop we stopped at there were a couple of carts. The carts were "staffed" by 3 young JWs. In the outdoor seating area of the coffee shop there were 2 tables occupied, both by JWs. We were there for about 30 minutes. No one spoke to the cart occupiers. The JWs in the coffee shop were busy having a social hour. They "witnessed" to no one.

Is this their normal mode now? No more knocking on doors?

They said nothing to anyone except themselves.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I never see a JW near a cart at the Cupertino CA . library near where I live. I've asked people near the cart:" hey who is placing this cart here?" and nobody knows. Perhaps they are in the coffee shop down the side walk? but I never see a person behind these carts in Sunnyvale or Cupertino,, must be all the bad child molestation publicity from the Conti/Femont, Ca. lawsuit for 21 million has had it effect on local towns.

I think all these lawsuits involving child molestation have been causing many cart to be abandoned so as not to be seen any where near the cart for fear of negative confrontations over this widely know fact on the internet.

• DNCall
    DNCall

As I understand it, the public preaching work is still carried out by the majority in much the same way as it always has. There are still preaching demonstrations on the service meeting along with public engagement skills being taught in the ministry school.

Only a select few in each congregation qualify for the "privilege" of cart witnessing. My impression is that apart from the public ministry, the main purpose of cart witnessing is the promotion of the website, hence little public engagement.

• DissedbyE
    DissedbyE

I was in Hong Kong last May for holiday and saw 1 young JW lady manning the cart at 2 pm. Very pretty and of Chinese descent. She looked so thoroughly miserable even though the cart was near the beautiful harbour with lots of people passing by. I didn't see anyone stopping to look at the magazines. What's the point of standing there alone when she could not even muster up a smile? At least she could have whipped up her handphone and watch a movie. But then the ever strict elders will be quick to censure her for dereliction of duty. Sad waste of a young, sweet thing. One would think at the very least, a horny little bee might want to take a peep at the irresistable lass.

• DissedbyE
    DissedbyE

Me, a newbie (Just had a look in, a few hours ago). Kind of cool site. Saw my post immediately appearing on the forum without being subjected to long and arduous vetting by over zealous administrators or their minions. Wink, wink.

Have a nice day, good folks.

• skin
    skin

Welcome to this very friendly site DissedbyE. Skin.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    Could this poor sod look any more disengaged?
    The juxtaposition of this pathetic JW

From what I see in the photo, the old guy is putting away a bottle of water back on the cart holder after a sip. Could have been my old mom doing the same.

I don't think he should be called pathetic for that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit