"1975" in 1969 TIME magazine article

by Tallyman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

Tallyman,

I like your plan of exiting the Tower with headlines. The Witnesses really hate others seeing them as they really are--a crackpot religious sect. The Tower is not interested having the cameras running as a Witness votes and gets shunned for being normal. Yeah, if we could do it over again . . .

The Dayton Daily News did a special report on the Witnesses in this area about two years after I was disfellowshipped. The reporter got my name from someone, and he interviewed me, too. Most of the stuff written (nearly 3 pages in the Religious Section) about the Witnesses was positive, except for the last subheading--that was me. It was great getting in the last word, and it gave readers a view of the Witnesses most don't see. I covered the topics of voting, shunning, and group control. From what I hear the Witnesses were furious because it ruined their few minutes of glory in a newspaper that covers a large section of southern Ohio. However, if I had it to do over again--I like your idea best.

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• normie67
    normie67

Java

I had Ron Soliday as an Instructor in Pio School in the mid 80's. One of my personal Favs. He was probably the smartest Bible wise that I ever came across!!! I heard he dropped out of CO work innthe early 90s, his parents became Ill and haven't heard much from them since. Wasn't his wife Kay somethin!!!!!!!
    Thanks

normie

• JAVA
    JAVA

apostate, for some reason your article out of Time doesn't show up on my screen. Edit here, now your link shows up--I'll remove this link.

--JAVA

• JAVA
    JAVA

normie67,

I really enjoyed Ron, and you're right, he was smarter than the average circuit overseer. I knew Ron and his wife Kay for years. He was my best man when I married in 1968. Did you know he graduated from Ohio State, I think with a major in education.

No, I didn't know he dropped out of the circuit work, but I've been out of that loop for many years. His parents lived somewhere in Ohio; I wonder if he's still a JW?

--JAVA

• normie67
    normie67

Java

His parents lived in Logan, Ohio (btwn Lancaster and Athens). I believe Kays folks lived in western Pa somewhere. Yep, I knew Ron went to OSU!! Boy did he love Sports too!!! He was the 1st one to telll me about Lou Whittakerand Chet Lemon being Bros!!!! He also was the only CO I knew that always brought his USA Today paper out in service!!!
    Loved his visits to our Hall!!
    CYA

normie

• JAVA
    JAVA

normie,

It's a small world on the Internet. Yes, Ron was a BIG sports fan--I don't think Armageddon could keep him away from an Ohio State & Michigan football game. I watched a couple of those games with him. He also liked reading US News & World Reports over some of the other news journals (maybe it made the bad news look worse, who knows). I vacationed with Ron and Kay a few times at Lake Hope, in Ohio. Ron was a neat person, but Kay was a little stuck on herself, if you know what I mean? Are you from the Ohio area?

--JAVA

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I remember Ron Soliday too. He was a circuit overseer in our area in the 80's. I remember he showed us the football field where he broke his leg that ended his playing career in high school.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Had him too in the cleveland area in the '90's. No longer in circuit work. I heard his wife was the originator of all those witness urban legion stories. Especially one about the un going after religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit