"1975" in 1969 TIME magazine article

by Tallyman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Tallyman
    Tallyman

Tried putting this up last night, but it didn't take.

Dug this mag out of some attic boxes, and thought some here might find it interesting.

The TIME journalist makes some keen observations.

S/He detected the weasly-mealy-mouthed type of predictions the Watchtower society makes.

The Watchtower didn't make a FLAT prediction about 1975 being The End...

Has anyone noticed, that we've been in a "Sabbath-like Rest" period for the last 26 years?

It has completely escaped my notice!

Click Here: * http://www.intrex.net/tallyman/Time1975.html for the article.

• apostate
    apostate

Another Time Magazin article

• JAVA
    JAVA

Tallyman,

Thanks for the link--you did a great job of putting it together! I was a JW when this July 1969 Time article came out; it was the talk of the USA Witnesses. Ron Soliday was our circuit overseer at the time, and we talked privately about the consequences the organization would face if Armageddon didn't happen. He said there was no way the Society could survive because they have all their eggs in the 1975 basket.

I talked with Ron again in 1977 and reminded him of our conversation. He was still in the circuit work, and the Tower was seeing JWs leave by the thousands at this time. The only defense he could come up with was: "I'm a better person today because of the religion than I would be without it." I told him nearly anyone could make that claim with any religion. We stopped talking after that.

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• chasson
    chasson

After Norm and Alanf, tallyman you will be translated into
    french ;)

Bye

Charles

• Tallyman
    Tallyman
    Ron Soliday was our circuit overseer at the time, and we talked privately about the consequences the organization would face if Armageddon didn't happen.

JAVA,

Yep. That's the kind of "1975 Talk" which was circulating all over the place. It was the hottest topic of conversation for witnesses. Today, the young theocratic bucks are not aware of it, do not believe it happened, or just don't give a damn!
    The older witnesses have convinced themselves they never had or heard such conversations. Most of them, that is.

He said there was no way the Society could survive because they have all their eggs in the 1975 basket.

Well, let's hope his "prediction" will SOON! come true.

I came into the WT in 1971, when the "1975 Hysteria" was peaking...

When did you split?

• JAVA
    JAVA

Tallyman,

Well, let's hope his "prediction" will SOON! come true.

Well, don't bet on it; the success rate of JW predictions stands at 0 percent! I resigned as elder in 1977, and by the end of the year stopped attending all together. Over a year later, they disfellowshipped me for voting. My JW spouse turned me in for that sin. I no longer have a JW spouse; was not going to tolerate that crap from anyone!

--JAVA

• JT
    JT

java did you ever remarry if i may ask

james

• sf
    sf

Hey Tom,

That's just about the time my mom made her FINAL DECISION. She had been studying since about, if I recall (ugh), 69ish...all I know is I was about nine/ tenish at the "TIME of DOOM". Hahaha, wonder if I ever saw ya at any assembly, ever. naaaa

Love ya, sKally

• Tallyman
    Tallyman
    Over a year later, they disfellowshipped me for voting. My JW spouse turned me in for that sin.

JAVA,

No kidding!?

I've often thought of a different way I coulda made my exit from the Kult - I did make some noise, but here's what I would've (tried) to do.

Wait until the next presidential election. (a Big Election)
    Contact a local TV reporter/journalist and tell him or her that you're planning to vote in the upcoming election, but that you are a jehovah Witness and your religion prohibits you from exercising your constitutional right to vote, and if you did vote, you would be Disfellowshipped-With-Extreme-Prejudice.

Convince the reporter that there's a story there.

Set it up. When you go down to the polls, have it arranged that the TV reporter will "interview" you on camera outside the building where you just cast your vote. (those TV reporters haunt the exit polls asking the citizens how they voted) Explain that this is your FIRST time voting and it was a thrill to do so, to exercise your Constitutional Right as an American citizen. etc.etc.

Collaborating with this reporter, and making sure the interview will be aired on that night's local television news, will ensure it will be seen by your local body of elders, or enough of the witnesses to where someone is going fink you out to the body of elders.

Tell the reporter, that soon, the 'fur will fly' and you'll be 'put on trial' for committing this "offense" and then once you are cast out of the Watchtower religion, the reporter can dig his/her teeth into this situation and interview you again on camera, and air the next segment of the story... about 'HOW DARE THE jEHOVAH'S WITNESSES EXPELL A MEMBER FOR SIMPLY EXERCISING THE RIGHT TO VOTE GUARANTEED TO EVERY CITIZEN!!!'

Get my drift?
    The TV personality can turn it into an interesting human interest piece.You've given them a GOOD story. Their ratings increase. And best of all, you've got video footage aired to the public numerous times to use as EVIDENCE when you SUE THE HELL out of those Watchtower Muthas!
    You'd have Public Outrage against the WTB&TS and the jWs banging on their doors... and you'd have a guaranteed favorable jury sitting in your trial as the Plaintiff against the WT.

Sure wisht I'd set something up like that when I made my exit.
    I coulda made it into a Grand Exit... and also made some $$$ to compensate for the TWENTY FREEKING YEARS I flushed down the toilet.

Of course, anyone else out there, who hasn't made their exit from the Kult is free to use my idea. hint.hint.

• JAVA
    JAVA

JT,

java did you ever remarry if i may ask

I sure did. I love women, but can't stand traders, no matter the gender.

I really tried helping her out of the JW mind set, but nothing worked. She enjoyed being lead around by the Tower; she was truly in love with the Watchtower Society because she didn't have to think. I could live with that, and did for some time. However when she reported me to the elders for voting for a school levy that benefited our children and the JW kids, that really pissed me off. When we were out and about, JW people I knew for years would ignore me, but act like she was their long lost friend. That's not the type of relationship anyone should put up with--so I didn't!

It wasn't easy because we were married 22 years, and had two children. But unhealthy relationships are not easy either. I did what I thought I would never do--get a divorce. I had no idea where it would lead or what would happen next. I started taking classes at a local university while working full time. That really helped me during the tough times by opening up a world of ideas. I also found a great partner while on the eductional quest, and we married 11 years ago. BTW, larc and his wife attended the wedding.

--JAVA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit