Did you really believe?

by barbar 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

welcome to the board, not tellin :)

• crownboy
    crownboy

Yeah, I believed most of it, but I did disbelieve a few things. I didn't believe that all people who heard a 2 minute magazine presentation and didn't accept the JW religion would be killed. Early on I realized that many people were just like JW's in earnestly believing their life was in accordance with God, and living so accordingly. So what if they believed in the trinity? Did that really make them evil?

I also didn't believe the 144,000 was a literal number. As someone else mentioned on this thread, the notion that god would go close to 2,000 years without getting that number together (especially after having an initial number of 3,000 on the first occasion) seemed fairly nonsensical. I figured the number meant that the number of annointed would be a lot smaller than the great crowd. But I really didn't start questioning in earnest untill I started having serious doubts.

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Yes I had doubts and totally not bought into it all. I did sell myself to being submissive wife.

Of course that submissiveness fit right into Dometic violence. Actually I was groomed into it coming from a dysfunctional family.

I bought into the fact that god's people cared and nuture one another. I took the risk in seeking help with the abusive situation. Like Frannie says " A steaming cow pie".. The JC turned the table on me. I was blown away by the betrayal and feeling abandon. No trust!! It is the worst feeling to emotionally have the chair pulled right under you and as if someone knocked the wind out of you.

I knew than this is not a loving org.

OCW

• dancnfool_60
    dancnfool_60

I believed everything and treated some in a way I am so ashamed of now. you just tow the line but when they flat out lie to me and change the scriptures that is when I started doubting everything. There are still some interpretations that I can swallow but as having the market on truth I dont believe that anymore. I just had a sheperding call 3 days ago. So generic, I told them I doubted and that is why I havnt been there. They saiid that thier hands were tied.WOW!!!!!.....that sure made me lose those doubts

LIFES TO SHORT...DANCE NAKED AND WIGGLE YOUR ASS

DF_60

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

I believed it all. I had doubts but thought they were my own lack of faith. Some things just didn't line up. It was a stretch to believe in the 2520 years in Daniel, the "two witnesses in the broad way", only baptized publishers in good standing will survive, on and on. Saw a documentary on tv about failed prophecies of wtbs. Ordered the book "100 years of watchtower errors" which was great because it mostly just contains their quotes and came here. Once I got to this board it was like "I SEE THE LIGHT". That was all it took. After I finished kicking myself I read Crisis of Conscience, Gentile Times Revisited, In Search of Christian Freedom, Sign of Last Days- When? and much more and still readin and branchin' out to others' testimonies, research,etc. Welcome and thank you.

• aniron
    aniron

Hi all first time here.

Does any JW believe 100% ??

They must somewhere in their mind doubt some teaching. Unfortunately they can never give voice to that doubt. Cannot approach anyone, to discuss it, without fear they will end up being punished for daring to disbelieve what the "faith and discreet slave" said.

Yet as can be seen by forums like this that many are still going to meetings etc, just to keep the peace in familes. Even though they have serious doubts about the WT. Its probably being able to give vent on such places as this that keeps them sane.

The sad thing with many JW's is that it slowly dawns on them, over time, that all is not well in the Watchtower garden. By then they are trapped.

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

So, if I read you correctly, you still have "the Truth," only now it is a different "Truth?"

For me, dogmatism and theological bigotry are now major turn-offs. As a teenager, orthodox Christianity had failed to inspire faith in me (although I had been exposed to a variety of denominations and theological tracks), and although I initially found the JWs' sharply critical attitude toward other religions irritating and obnoxious, I had to admit that many of their criticisms were on the mark, aznd well-justified. Of course, eventually I realized that JW beliefs and practices were vulnerable to sharp and pointed criticsm as well. When I left the Witnesses, I left all faith in the Bible and Christianity behind. Yes, there are arguments "for," but there are also cogent arguments "against." I don't even care strongly about such arguments anymore; I feel that 45 years' life experience with Christian sects proved to me that the whole barrel of apples is/are rotten to the core.

Regards,
    Cruithne

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

No, I had doubts but I did it for the woman I loved and now after numerous nervous breakdowns I'm out of it and out of that marriage.

Lapuce

• Badger
    Badger

sure...And I'm hanging on...by a thread.

I'm right now trying to see if I can work with my doubts and stay in...I'm in a new congregation now that seems to be more receptive, but I still need to play it by ear. If "it" happens again...well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Faith in Jehovah? Sure.

Faith in his people and their rules? Not so fast.

• berylblue
    berylblue

I had big doubts but I managed to submerged them, most often with the assistance of a LOT of wine and pizza.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit